Pequod

Steam Oven Beer Bread with Marmite Butter

Decided to make a nice beer bread to go with my secret recipe for Marmite butter. Had to be done in the steam oven, of course.

Here is the bread scored and ready to go.

3700DB73-A057-4D4D-9807-E6B7744DCE8A.thumb.jpeg.b7403109d812c5c1c86bcd8362e1e4a8.jpeg

Into the steam oven.

373885B6-BA7F-43F6-A8A9-00B564CCB94F.thumb.jpeg.776c028bf0ba30c8103ef57a1c4f6ead.jpeg

Even after several minutes it’s still venting steam wherever there’s a hole.

DFA5FF06-D545-4171-B63F-4A32F1E3FE80.thumb.jpeg.5b1862ff2481ae9dbbe0dc4c4d166fc8.jpeg

And voila! Oven spring anyone?

85787CB0-9724-4332-9257-CF8C15BE4AFD.thumb.jpeg.5eea4f24c53f3aeec671f28a56582c2c.jpeg

311D52EA-F2EA-4500-9AD1-CEA0C6366F56.thumb.jpeg.1723624c42e408c0cd13a134f7688bfd.jpeg

Look at those micro blisters.

6CA63CDF-D2ED-43D8-8ECB-A00FAA3C0A62.thumb.jpeg.a3347f450fda8985be8b2f487a82ad33.jpeg

Still cooling. Later I’ll slather it with my secret Marmite butter. Mmmm mmmm good!

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Wow look perfect nice cook! I received my vegimite Yesterday. Anybody know how long this stuff will last after I open it? I may try it on some raisin bread tomorrow. Very very thin spreading. LOL

I’m pretty sure Vegemite never goes bad (Lord knows it was never “good”). It will be feeding the cockroaches after the apocalypse. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Awesome bread @Pequod!  Looking forward to the verdict on the "special" marmite butter.  I made the mistake of showing The Husband a picture of your bread.  You need to give us the recipe and instructions for making that bread. Otherwise he might find you and move in.  He is fairly clean and tidy but I suspect giving us the recipe would be less hassle.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Awesome bread @Pequod!  Looking forward to the verdict on the "special" marmite butter.  I made the mistake of showing The Husband a picture of your bread.  You need to give us the recipe and instructions for making that bread. Otherwise he might find you and move in.  He is fairly clean and tidy but I suspect giving us the recipe would be less hassle.  

The recipe is from “The Bread Bible” by Rose Levy Berenbaum. It is also online here: http://fortheloveofbread.blogspot.com/2011/06/beer-bread.html

The Marmite butter was perfect. The secret is the absence of Marmite, but don’t tell anyone. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Wow look perfect nice cook! I received my vegimite Yesterday. Anybody know how long this stuff will last after I open it? I may try it on some raisin bread tomorrow. Very very thin spreading. LOL

lol.....i can't imagine it with raisins, just give it a go on toast with a little butter under the vegemite.

We have Bakers Delight a bakery franchise in Western Australia who make a vegemite scroll.......big seller

• Like 2

Now I’m almost afraid taste this stuff after all the bad press it’s gotten here:sad:
I reckon bugger it go a cheese toastie to start with .get a nice fresh bun butter it up spread some vegemite on add some cheese and cook it under the grill. One of my favorite childhood memories was getting a vegemite toastie from the canteen

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Fantastic looking loaf. What did you do to create all the steam? 

I used the @Syzygies technique, which is a large cast iron skillet loaded with SS chain so the whole thing weighs about 30 lbs preheated with the stone for thermal mass. Then introduce about 350g of ice into the skillet when the bread goes on the stone. Close lid and close down the vents a bit to trap the steam. It will steam for a good 10-15 minutes, which is all you need.

@amusedtodeath posted something similar and simpler yesterday. Just pour water directly into a preheated CI pan. I may give that a go for comparison. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ckreef said:

My wheels are turning. In the WFO they talk about putting a pan of water in there to create moisture. I'm thinking dumping ice in a preheated CI pan would be more effective. 

Yes. Syzygies did the math (anything less would have been heresy!) and figured out the heat capacity needed to turn a given amount of water/ice quickly into steam. The heat needed to convert ice to water is much less than the heat needed to convert water to steam, so the ice is just a convenient way of deploying water into the pan. In other words, water or ice doesn't matter nearly as much as the amount of stored thermal mass to turn a given amount of water into steam. 

• Like 1