TheNakedWhiz

Review of the BBQ Guru Competitor Temperature Controller

Nice review Whizzy! Very good information. Now, of the two brands you have tested, which is your pick (as you are probably one of the few of us whom has used both)?

I noticed you said that you have never burned a probe in the years you have been using the Guru. Do use a foil wrap method on the probes (especially when doing 350 and higher temps)? Besides needing the lid open equalization timer/switch feature, a probe shield has been my only other gripe with this unit. I love my Guru, but think they should use a ceramic or SS jacketed sleeve (at least as an optional accessory). I have burned up a couple sets of probes and it is not fun spending $35 or more to get another set. Currently I am using foil tape to wrap them, but it is not the greatest by any means. I am trying to find a metal mesh sleeving of the appropriate size to provide flame resistance.

-=Jasen=-

I was going to ask for the same recommendation...though I was going to ask him privately, as I think whiz may be reluctant to make a public recommendation. He seems to stay pretty neutral in his reviews.

Now, how much is a DJ-2000 lid open mod for a guru, should I get one? I want a pre built one!

...of course, I should get on the ball with Dennis for a grill first :oops:

DJ,

No sweat, I've publicly side-stepped that question already several times, :lol:

First off about the probes, if you read the note under my probe accuracy section, my "favorite" set of probes have probably been used for up to 200 hours at 400 degrees. Shotgun Fred says DO NOT wrap the wires in foil. If you need to shield them from direct heat, put a piece of foil underneath them. He says he has found that wrapping the wires in foil makes things worse. I have never wrapped this probe set. I place a square of foil under the probe itself to shield it from direct heat (for testing purposes during charcoal burn tests), but I have never wrapped or even shielded the wires.

As for which I prefer, well it depends. I think the Guru is easier to use, so it may be right one for anyone who is only going to control one cooker and do nothing fancy. If you want/need to control multiple cookers, or control your cooker from your cell phone while you are at the football game, then the Stoker is for you. The Stoker is a little more fussy to set up, but of course, it is expandible and has some extra features. The Guru has ramp mode, the Stoker doesn't (and probably won't because as I understand it, Ramp mode has been patented by the Guru folks). So, I think you need to decide what features you want and need, and then act accordingly.

...The Guru has ramp mode' date=' the Stoker doesn't (and probably won't because as I understand it, Ramp mode has been patented by the Guru folks)...[/quote']

Son of a bitch. I've been hoping Stoker would implement it.

Assuming I understand what Ramp mode is (cooker target temp begins to lower as meat target temp is approached???), I'm not really sure that I see how that is patentable... surely the same process is used in a gazillion other non-barbecue applications. Of course, IANAL*, nor do I play one on TV.

*Relax, DeeJ, it stands for I Am Not A Lawyer.

...The Guru has ramp mode' date=' the Stoker doesn't (and probably won't because as I understand it, Ramp mode has been patented by the Guru folks)...[/quote']

Assuming I understand what Ramp mode is (cooker target temp begins to lower as meat target temp is approached???), I'm not really sure that I see how that is patentable... surely the same process is used in a gazillion other non-barbecue applications. Of course, IANAL*, nor do I play one on TV.

Only you would use an acronym with anal in it. :D

-=Jasen=-

DJ,

No sweat, I've publicly side-stepped that question already several times, :lol:

First off about the probes, if you read the note under my probe accuracy section, my "favorite" set of probes have probably been used for up to 200 hours at 400 degrees. Shotgun Fred says DO NOT wrap the wires in foil. If you need to shield them from direct heat, put a piece of foil underneath them. He says he has found that wrapping the wires in foil makes things worse. I have never wrapped this probe set. I place a square of foil under the probe itself to shield it from direct heat (for testing purposes during charcoal burn tests), but I have never wrapped or even shielded the wires.

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately I do not like the foil bridge method. How do you use it on the KK with the polder access tube under the main grill? Also, always seems like the probe wire never wants to lay still on the damn thing. I can somewhat see what Fred is talking about by wrapping with foil as now you have added thermal mass to the equation.

I never understood why they would go to the trouble of making these wonderful controllers (for use with wood/charcoal smokers), with very nice industrial grade thermocouples and not have any flame protection. Even not going with a metal over-braid, there are plenty with a ceramic over-braid. Oh well, if I remember correctly based on the TC color code chart, they are using a type T thermocouple. I may just have to make up my own set one day with better flame rated insulation.

-=Jasen=-

Hi DJ, since I also have a guru (just the competitor) but have yet to burn out any of my probes (might not be cooking at high enough temps (mainly below 350). What caused yours to fail?

I saw the stoker but I figure I'm going to swap my guru between BBQ's and possibly mainly keep using it on my WSM if the KK really holds its temps without me having to check on an overnighter? (lazy lazy).

Hi DJ, since I also have a guru (just the competitor) but have yet to burn out any of my probes (might not be cooking at high enough temps (mainly below 350). What caused yours to fail?

I saw the stoker but I figure I'm going to swap my guru between BBQ's and possibly mainly keep using it on my WSM if the KK really holds its temps without me having to check on an overnighter? (lazy lazy).

Well, it is like this. The Guru is running fan full on when starting up trying to get the temps up to the set point. So if you have it set at say 350, you could potentially have some flames lapping on the wires as you have a large thermal mass to bring up to temp (especially with a ceramic). I think the biggest problem I had in the past was my old ceramic grill; the only entrance was running it across the heavy dome/body seal area. It tended to smash the cable really flat, which is were it melted when that area got pushed further inside on other cooks. The KK takes care of that issue with a polder access port you can use for the Guru wires. I am sure I probably did something stupid to roast my cables, but I still think it would only cost a little more to give them the added protection (idiot proofing) and both controller makers should do it (or at least offer it). I have several products I am checking into (from new TC probes to slip on covers made of ceramic) and I will post if they pan out.

-=Jasen=-

I had asked Rock's BBQ about a ramp feature some time ago, and he indeed responded that the Guru folks have a patent on it.

Does anyone use the ramp mode?

I have not. I guess if I didn't pay any attention to the 'projected' finish time (x hrs per pound) of my subject and just threw it on and figured I'd pull it out when I get around to it, it could be useful. It could really slow down the last few degrees of the cook as reduces the temp to meet the target.

Let me know how you use this feature.

Does anyone use the ramp mode?

I have not. I guess if I didn't pay any attention to the 'projected' finish time (x hrs per pound) of my subject and just threw it on and figured I'd pull it out when I get around to it, it could be useful. It could really slow down the last few degrees of the cook as reduces the temp to meet the target.

Let me know how you use this feature.

It is also good when you are not sure what the time will be and you do not want to baby sit the grill (for someone new or trying a different cut). Or if you just want to toss it on, go to work or play and when you come home it is still holding at a temp just below your meat set temp.

Some also use it to get a lower temp than the normal setpoint range (not needed on the ProCom) and Whizzy mentions how to do this in his review.

I also remember Fred discussing using it for a fast cook method with good results. You set the pit at 275 and meat at 190 (or whatever) and that gets the meat up to temps real fast, reduces cook times, but drops the pit temp before the critical tissue to juice conversion time (ramp offset is default set at 30 degrees so when the meat gets close to 160 degrees, the pit starts throttling back). Though this would certainly reduce the smoke ring along with cook time, but some might like that. Would also be good for brisket (which lots of folks prefer the higher temps/faster cooks).

Anyway, just some more possibilities for you to try out.

-=Jasen=-