tony b

A Sad Day in the Foodie Universe

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html

I was a mega-fan, have watched all his TV shows over the years religiously and own several of his books - his "les Halles cookbook" is a staple in my kitchen. I was hooked after I read Kitchen Confidential. I actually got to meet him in the airport here in Cedar Rapids many years ago! I asked him "What the hell are you doing in Iowa? It surely ain't for the food!!" He laughed and just said "book signing in Iowa City." 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tony b said:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html

I was a mega-fan, have watched all his TV shows over the years religiously and own several of his books - his "les Halles cookbook" is a staple in my kitchen. I was hooked after I read Kitchen Confidential. I actually got to meet him in the airport here in Cedar Rapids many years ago! I asked him "What the hell are you doing in Iowa? It surely ain't for the food!!" He laughed and just said "book signing in Iowa City." 

Sad indeed. :-(

Apparently he hadn’t heard that Cedar Rapids is the new California. 

13 hours ago, tony b said:

I was a mega-fan

The Husband and I are mega fans too.  He was the best.  It never felt touristy, hunting down a place that Bourdain had recommended because a) he was obviously only talking to me, his friend and b) the food and/or drink was always great.  Going to commemorate his passing with a hot dog and cocktail combo.  

And yes, of course I am very sad that he didn't want to see any more days on this planet but I am pretty sure he had a good time for at least part of the time he was here.  

Edited by tekobo

This was my first Bourdain tribute meal.  Hot dogs.  Bun slathered in garlic mayonnaise, dog wrapped in proscuitto, topped with deep fried oysters and a squeeze of black garlic vinny (courtesy of  Le Pigeon).  I have a vague memory of Bourdain discovering and loving oysters in France in his teens.  This was a good but not great tribute.  Will continue to work on it.  Lack of dedicated alcoholic beverage made this inauthentic.  Stlll so sad that he is dead.  

nZFAcDkITAqCClCIb4MW3Q.thumb.jpg.cf2d4d773cd60e7168ae9c5e9494831b.jpg 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, tony b said:

Nice tribute, tekobo. I'd have never thought to put fried oysters on a hot dog. But, the adult beverage was a must have to be a full and proper tribute! 

I agree.  We did drink some red wine but I really want to get to a cocktail and dog combo that he would have liked.  Onwards and upwards...