MacKenzie

Secret Weapon for Bread

I made a loaf of my sour dough bread this evening. I added some chia seeds and pumpkin seeds. 

My secret weapon for the cook is - 

1020120812_SecretWeapon.thumb.jpg.dab28f5e62f075111c464f56ffc21ea3.jpg

I couldn't find the chain to buy so what to do. I figured that if I covered my dough with this stainless steel bowl that would keep the moisture in for the first 10 mins. of the bake @500F.

1686399349_SourDoughBreadWithChia.thumb.jpg.dfb33b36c4d443245c18c76a9b8f2d1b.jpg

1540612321_OvenSpring.thumb.jpg.ed7f6d44d286e8cac2eba4cd11a08c91.jpg

Lots of oven spring in this bake.

• Like 7

The one thing an enclosure (Dutch oven, steel bowl) won't do is deliver a massive slam of initial heat, as the steam condenses on the dough.

Ask me how I know: After a few drinks with the neighbors, I got careless and threw in water ungloved. (I usually use ice with the KK to buy time, but I'm using the upper grill for Moroccan bread, leaving me plenty of room to land water on my cast iron skillet and chains.)

The hand in question isn't so bad (I didn't have to skip my pottery wheel class today), but discretion suggests not posting a picture.

• Like 3

Anybody out there want to slightly used jar of Vegemite?

Bruce, you can try another iconic Aussie thing. It’s called the Tim Tam slam. Tim Tams are a tasty chocolate biscuit. Take a small bite out of the opposite corners of the biscuit. Dunk the biscuit into your tea or coffee and use the biscuit like a straw. Eat the biscuit before it gets soggy. You need to be quick otherwise the Tim Tam will devolve.

Tim Tams
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/30/dining/tim-tams-biscuits-australian-cookie-us.html

https://m.wikihow.com/Do-the-Tim-Tam-Slam

Guarantee you that this is better tasting that vegemite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Hat's off to Bruce for the Vegemite experiment! :salute:

It's one of those cultural things. If you didn't grow up with it, you hate it. I've had similar experiences with folks that I've had try some Southern "classics" and they didn't like them either. 

• Like 1