tekobo

Marmite - love it or hate it?

Ever since I said I would try out some marmite recipes I have, somehow, found an excuse to avoid making them.  But yesterday was the day!  There must be something about the day-after-Bruce-and-Dennis' birthday that makes us all brave :smt048

I settled on the recipe at the end of this article: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/jun/30/how-cook-perfect-barbecue-ribs

Mixed up the marinade/glaze ingredients

2 racks of baby back / loin ribs
1 tbsp Marmite
1 tbsp English mustard
1½ tsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
2½ tbsp dark muscovado sugar

Messy.  Smelt good though, like an authentic BBQ sauce. 

fullsizeoutput_fa5.thumb.jpeg.c260ed4bf9924e9994ebd8d66861fc5c.jpeg

I have always done my ribs hot and fast.  They are relatively skinny and I cook them for about an hour at about 180-200C.  They are chewy but that is what I am used to and like.  Today I tried low and slow.  Used whisky chips for the smoke and cooked on the indirect side in my 23".  I waited and waited and waited and was rewarded with the crack when I lifted them with my tongs.  Please tell me that was right!

1551470880_qv8KV7jQfi3Sy6fneZbIA.thumb.jpg.3247b89d8128ecce5657f2952035914d.jpg

Moved the rack over to the direct side for 2-3 minutes, slathering with more of the sauce on each side.

fullsizeoutput_fa9.thumb.jpeg.24fa5dfb9fcaa054a4ee446a13d9e361.jpeg

And here they are, "plated"

fullsizeoutput_fad.thumb.jpeg.aff638cff08aa9b69c9530c0fcea385b.jpeg

Verdict?  I actually like the marmite sauce!  You can taste the marmite umami tones and it is a good sauce overall.  I think I prefer the texture of my hot and fast ribs but it was good to try this method.  

Liking this start to my marmite adventure.  Gonna try a few more recipes...

• Like 10

Ever since I said I would try out some marmite recipes I have, somehow, found an excuse to avoid making them.  But yesterday was the day!  There must be something about the day-after-Bruce-and-Dennis' birthday that makes us all brave :smt048
I settled on the recipe at the end of this article: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/jun/30/how-cook-perfect-barbecue-ribs
Mixed up the marinade/glaze ingredients
2 racks of baby back / loin ribs
1 tbsp Marmite
1 tbsp English mustard
1½ tsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
2½ tbsp dark muscovado sugar

Messy.  Smelt good though, like an authentic BBQ sauce. 
fullsizeoutput_fa5.thumb.jpeg.c260ed4bf9924e9994ebd8d66861fc5c.jpeg
I have always done my ribs hot and fast.  They are relatively skinny and I cook them for about an hour at about 180-200C.  They are chewy but that is what I am used to and like.  Today I tried low and slow.  Used whisky chips for the smoke and cooked on the indirect side in my 23".  I waited and waited and waited and was rewarded with the crack when I lifted them with my tongs.  Please tell me that was right!
1551470880_qv8KV7jQfi3Sy6fneZbIA.thumb.jpg.3247b89d8128ecce5657f2952035914d.jpg
Moved the rack over to the direct side for 2-3 minutes, slathering with more of the sauce on each side.
fullsizeoutput_fa9.thumb.jpeg.24fa5dfb9fcaa054a4ee446a13d9e361.jpeg
And here they are, "plated"
fullsizeoutput_fad.thumb.jpeg.aff638cff08aa9b69c9530c0fcea385b.jpeg
Verdict?  I actually like the marmite sauce!  You can taste the marmite umami tones and it is a good sauce overall.  I think I prefer the texture of my hot and fast ribs but it was good to try this method.  
Liking this start to my marmite adventure.  Gonna try a few more recipes...

Looking good have tried marmite and promite they are not to bad .vegemite would work in that recipe. Might give it a shot this weekend .you know you don't have to go to the effort of using the splitter just throw on some alfoil on one side on the bottom grate.

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BonFire said:

I might give that one a go, still got a small jar of Marmite waving at me every time i go in the pantry.

This is the article i done the beef ribs with not long ago : https://www.butterwouldntmelt.com/2016/05/28/beef-short-ribs/

Cool.  One for me to try too!

1 hour ago, Aussie Ora said:

Might give it a shot this weekend .you know you don't have to go to the effort of using the splitter just throw on some alfoil on one side on the bottom grate.

I guess it will work with Vegemite too.   Can't claim to have any patriotic alignment with marmite here - still hate it straight out of the jar.:tongue2:

We've been eating a lot of steak lately and so I just left the splitter in the 23".  Will see how that works for the summer - might be good as I have quite a few chops and things in the freezer that are ideal for moving from indirect to direct heat.  

• Like 2

Won't dwell on this recipe as it is a non-KK cook.  Followed the instructions here http://www.huangkitchen.com/marmite-glazed-pork-ribs/ and marinaded and deep fried the ribs.  As insurance against hunger I had a couple of deep fried ribs before I rolled them in the marmite sauce.

Here they are in the wok:

kytsqQPRRvGmMXIXXvrGHA.thumb.jpg.090ad7ed36c9399d0d9c9628cbaeddc9.jpg

Here they are on my plate with some KK roasted beetroot, something else I am learning to like:

1728564752_7lIHCp4ScyrAeOtYlhXjA.thumb.jpg.b02f9c8889d99da108a40fc922da3640.jpg

They tasted really good.  I slipped a bit of cayenne powder in where the recipe called for pepper and I might reduce the maltose and honey by a third on any future try, just to cut the calories and sweetness count.  

• Like 4

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:45 AM, tekobo said:

I waited and waited and waited and was rewarded with the crack when I lifted them with my tongs.  Please tell me that was right!

Perfect! The "bend test" is the only reliable method for judging when ribs are done, as they are too thin for a good thermometer check. 

However, I won't be trying any Marmite/Vegemite BBQ sauce concoctions anytime soon!

• Haha 2

Today was marmite chicken wings day.  

I tried this recipe:  https://wholesomeireland.com/bbq-marmite-chicken-wings/

I also had back up.  My dad is visiting from Nigeria and he brought me a Nigerian pepper rub, to I applied it to half of the wings.  Here is the result.  The marmite wings are at the top of the picture.

F2OtzrPjSHilXtUJExi7Wg.thumb.jpg.9d379b55f4b791619a50a555dbf5f9f4.jpg

I needed the back up. Meaty, yeasty wings? Yack.  Not a good idea.  Will soldier on, but this was not a successful experiment. 

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Those ribs look great!

Vegemite also goes really well on a brisket, use it in place of the mustard / oil that you would usually apply first to make your rub stick to the meat. Like the mustard, the flavour cooks out during the long low n slow cook, but you are still left with some great umami undertones from it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now that's the only interesting idea that I've seen yet for Vegemite/Marmite. Makes sense, especially if you thin it out a little, like the consistency of mustard. 

@tekobo - I've have no doubt the Marmite wings were nasty; BUT, how were the Nigerian spiced wings? What's the spice rub called? Is it available outside Nigeria or is it a family recipe? If you're looking to add serious umami to some wings, go with Korean Gochujang (fermented soybean paste with chilies). I'm addicted to the stuff!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alimac23 said:

Vegemite also goes really well on a brisket, use it in place of the mustard / oil that you would usually apply first to make your rub stick to the meat. Like the mustard, the flavour cooks out during the long low n slow cook, but you are still left with some great umami undertones from it.

Funny you should mention brisket @alimac23.  I had confirmation yesterday that my supplier is going to put some dairy cow brisket aside to age for me.  Receipt is at least two months away but I was already thinking about how I would cook it.  @5698k pointed me at the Franklin method a few months ago and I was thinking that I ought to have the courage to move from my standard rub to their simple salt and pepper treatment.  It will probably take even more courage to risk putting marmite on a brisket given how long they take to cook and how much I love them!  Will do a trial run with some other beef first.  Thanks for the tip. 

Funny, yours is the first vegemite/marmite option that has, finally, drawn @tony b to the dark side!

5 hours ago, tony b said:

@tekobo - I've have no doubt the Marmite wings were nasty; BUT, how were the Nigerian spiced wings? What's the spice rub called? Is it available outside Nigeria or is it a family recipe? If you're looking to add serious umami to some wings, go with Korean Gochujang (fermented soybean paste with chilies). I'm addicted to the stuff!!

Ahhh.  That Nigerian rub is indeed a secret.  I still have work to do a) to research it and b) to try to cook authentic "suya" on a KK.  If I achieve the latter, I think I will cry with joy.  Will post if/when that happens.  The chicken wings were a good substitute and, happily, I have a few left in the fridge to try today.  I might even see if I can wash the marmite off the others and re-coat them in a nicer rub.  I chucked out the Korean stuff some months ago because I found it overpowering but it could be just the thing to mask the marmite marinade. :smt041

I like that tip Alimac, got a small brisket in freezer, you or Tony let me know how you would thin out the Vegemite

i tried mixing Marmite and butter in microwave at same time when I tried the beef rib recipe, but Marmite would survive a nuclear blast, thinking maybe the mite should've gone in 1st for wee bit.

Edited by BonFire

2 hours ago, BonFire said:

i tried mixing Marmite and butter in microwave at same time when I tried the beef rib recipe, but Marmite would survive a nuclear blast, thinking maybe the mite should've gone in 1st for wee bit.

Hi BonFire, I went with @Aussie Ora's advice about the fact that Vegemite/Marmite never goes off and so I used an old jar from the back of the cupboard for my first cook.  It was sticky and black but dissolved OK.  After the first success I thought I would splash out on a new jar.  The difference was significant.  The marmite was a much lighter brown and was soft and much easier to mix in.  I still refuse to eat it neat but I think I will try marmite butter next.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tekobo said:

Funny you should mention brisket @alimac23.  I had confirmation yesterday that my supplier is going to put some dairy cow brisket aside to age for me.  Receipt is at least two months away but I was already thinking about how I would cook it.  @5698k pointed me at the Franklin method a few months ago and I was thinking that I ought to have the courage to move from my standard rub to their simple salt and pepper treatment. 

I'm with @5698k on the the Aaron Franklin method of brisket cooking. My first overnight cook on my KK was a huge Waygu brisket using his book as a guide - it was by far the best brisket I've ever cooked... Matter of fact, all my previous briskets were Just "good", but that one was Fantastic!!! :)

• Like 1

I got into a “discussion” on Facebook with someone who was convinced that brisket tasted like pot roast. Naturally I said he’d never had good brisket, and naturally he said he had. His next comment was the telling part. He essentially said that for all the work and effort brisket takes, he’d rather do pork, it’s much simpler.

That said it all to me. My response was that was the problem...good beef, good fire, salt and pepper, done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2