DennisLinkletter

Apple sticks/small branches for smoke?

The only wood available here for smoking is Hickory and Mesquite both available from Ace Hardware, imported from the states.. (don't ask the price ;-)

I'm ok with the Hickory flavor but getting bored with it.. The Mesquite is too strong for most of the family..

I heard that there are apple orchards in the mountains and asked friends to source some for me.. What showed up was a bundle of small branches and sticks.. All with skin/bark. Is this skin/bark going to cause a problem? The Hickory has the big thick bark sometimes..

Any input would be greatly appreciated here as I have a butt and ribs in the fridge that I want to put on..

Miss my Q!!

:lol::lol:

Well, when you buy a bag of the chips here (not many local apple trees) there is bark in there. It looks like braches that were run through a planer.

Give them a go, and if you think they are a bit strong or bitter (apple is a smoother/sweeter smoke) try foiling them up or making a smoke bomb.

I have a pile of peach limbs yard that a neighbor trimmed from his tree this fall. The biggest parts are about 1.5 inches and the rest last years growth. As soon as they cure enough, I am going to try them out as well.

I think some bark is OK, especially when it is a real thin bark like apple tend to be. I usually try to remove as much as possible when it is thick like hickory. There seems to always be some debate over whether or not it really makes a difference as some claim it makes a bitter smoke flavor. I can see that happening in a small air turnover grill like the KK (verses a large offset) at low temps as the smoke stays in contact with the food for an extended period of time (especially trying to cold smoke). At higher temps, I would think it matters less. You could probably test this with a piece of white meat chicken (nice and neutral with little or no season so you can really pick out the smoke flavors), and see what your tolerance would be for it. But realistically I would have little worries with apple since it is very mild to begin with.

I would be much more worried about using green wood (not dried) than a little bark as that is were you get creosote from.

-=Jasen=-

No need..

hey dennis! sorry to hear you are having trouble getting wood... have you seen the dr?

:wink::wink::wink:

No need the lil' blue marvels are over the counter here!

Why walk if you can drive a Porsche?

Why be Superman if you can be the Man of Steel?

Now we smokin' but I hate the smell of burning rubber!

:smt023:smt023:smt023

Am I allowed to post this DJ?