mohctp

Ordered a BB32 Cobalt Blue Pebble

Today my wife and I placed an order for a BB32 Cobalt Blue Pebble

Got a few accessories for it.

Rotisserie Cradle with the 6" and 8" reducer, Hot/Cold Smoke Generator, Basket Splitter and Teak Grate Grabbers.

Very excited for it to show up! (Not very excited to move it into the Lanai, that will be a lot of work)

Hoping to do a lot of fun things on it.

• Like 5

Just had my family over and we bought some BBQ from a local store.  We consumed 2 slabs of ribs, some burnt ends, and a couple of rotisserie chickens.  I assume that if I use the KK to smoke the meat,while it's resting I have time to rotisserie the chickens and serve it all hot together?

I emailed Dennis and he's waiting to hear back on shipping the BB32, or if we upgrade to the 42".  I think the above is fine on a 32" and wouldn't need a 42".  My larger concern would be doing things like a couple of side dishes plus the main course(s) on the 32".  We are a big prime rib family / rib eye steak.

Looking for feedback on the 32" vs the 42".

15 minutes ago, mohctp said:

Just had my family over and we bought some BBQ from a local store.  We consumed 2 slabs of ribs, some burnt ends, and a couple of rotisserie chickens.  I assume that if I use the KK to smoke the meat,while it's resting I have time to rotisserie the chickens and serve it all hot together?

I emailed Dennis and he's waiting to hear back on shipping the BB32, or if we upgrade to the 42".  I think the above is fine on a 32" and wouldn't need a 42".  My larger concern would be doing things like a couple of side dishes plus the main course(s) on the 32".  We are a big prime rib family / rib eye steak.

Looking for feedback on the 32" vs the 42".

Easy to spin multiple chickens on the 32 while other things rest. Rotisserie chickens take about 1h40m at 400.

How you do the sides depends on what they are and what else you’re cooking. The upper grate on the 32 gives you loads of real estate for sides with lots of meat on the main grate. I often cook vegetables on the indirect side while running the rotisserie as well. 

6 minutes ago, Pequod said:

Easy to spin multiple chickens on the 32 while other things rest. Rotisserie chickens take about 1h40m at 400.

How you do the sides depends on what they are and what else you’re cooking. The upper grate on the 32 gives you loads of real estate for sides with lots of meat on the main grate. I often cook vegetables on the indirect side while running the rotisserie as well. 

Don't know exactly what sides yet.  One of our staple meals is prime rib with a salted baked potato.  Maybe some grilled vegetables.  The options the KK will open up mean I don't know what sides yet.

We do a lot of salmon and asparagus also.

24 minutes ago, mohctp said:

Don't know exactly what sides yet.  One of our staple meals is prime rib with a salted baked potato.  Maybe some grilled vegetables.  The options the KK will open up mean I don't know what sides yet.

We do a lot of salmon and asparagus also.

I do all of these combinations on the 32 all the time and have plenty of real estate between the main and upper grates. Really just comes down to quantity. For example, I could do several large prime ribs on the maingrate of the 32 while using the upper grate for probably 20-30 baked potatoes. When all of that comes off and is resting, I could grill a small farm’s worth of asparagus on the main grate. Depending on the size of your family, that’s a LOT of food.

6 minutes ago, Pequod said:

I do all of these combinations on the 32 all the time and have plenty of real estate between the main and upper grates. Really just comes down to quantity. For example, I could do several large prime ribs on the maingrate of the 32 while using the upper grate for probably 20-30 baked potatoes. When all of that comes off and is resting, I could grill a small farm’s worth of asparagus on the main grate. Depending on the size of your family, that’s a LOT of food.

My wife and two kids, so 4 of us is the small side and on the large side with family over it is a total of 6 adults and 4 kids.  So I don't think huge.  Maybe if we had neighbors over it could be 6 adults and 6 kids.  So far I'm learning towards getting the 32" now, and adding a 23" in the future (if needed), vs getting just a 42" now.  I just don't want to be way too small.  Right now we have a Fire Magic grill that is 24" wide x 18" deep (although can probably only use about 16" of the depth), and it is too small.  I wish I would have gone larger, and I don't want to have regrets with the KK.

Another question.  Does anyone have any experience with the teak side tables or the teak + stainless?  My current Fire Magic girll has stainless side tables, the two things I don't like about it is that they scratch up easily and they reflect a lot of sun light into my eyes.  Does the teak only stain?  Or do they seem to be pretty durable provided you cover the KK when not in use?  Any thoughts on the Stainless vs only teak side wings

3 minutes ago, mohctp said:

My wife and two kids, so 4 of us is the small side and on the large side with family over it is a total of 6 adults and 4 kids.  So I don't think huge.  Maybe if we had neighbors over it could be 6 adults and 6 kids.  So far I'm learning towards getting the 32" now, and adding a 23" in the future (if needed), vs getting just a 42" now.  I just don't want to be way too small.  Right now we have a Fire Magic grill that is 24" wide x 18" deep (although can probably only use about 16" of the depth), and it is too small.  I wish I would have gone larger, and I don't want to have regrets with the KK.

Given, that, I think the 32 sounds like the ideal size for you. A 42 would be overkill. You’re far better off adding a second, smaller KK later.

3 minutes ago, mohctp said:

Another question.  Does anyone have any experience with the teak side tables or the teak + stainless?  My current Fire Magic girll has stainless side tables, the two things I don't like about it is that they scratch up easily and they reflect a lot of sun light into my eyes.  Does the teak only stain?  Or do they seem to be pretty durable provided you cover the KK when not in use?  Any thoughts on the Stainless vs only teak side wings

I can’t speak to stainless as both my grills have teak side tables. I like them a lot. They detach and can be stored when not in use. Applying teak conditioner once or twice a year keeps them looking new. 

15 minutes ago, Pequod said:

Given, that, I think the 32 sounds like the ideal size for you. A 42 would be overkill. You’re far better off adding a second, smaller KK later.

I can’t speak to stainless as both my grills have teak side tables. I like them a lot. They detach and can be stored when not in use. Applying teak conditioner once or twice a year keeps them looking new. 

They don't stain or scratch too easily?  Sounds like I should get them and the matching cover.. I really appreciate everone's help and feedback here.  Obviously it is a big purchase.

3 hours ago, mohctp said:

I wish I would have gone larger, and I don't want to have regrets with the KK.

4 hours ago, 5698k said:

Personally, I think two KK’s is the answer. 

@mohctp, the first thing to say is that it is difficult to regret anything about getting a KK.  It sounds like you have made the right choice, going for the 32".  Everyone says to go as large as you can afford to.  It would be really fun to see how you get on with a 42" in a domestic setting but, as @Pequod said, that is probably overkill.  

I bought two KKs, on the advice of others on this forum, and think that is really the best combination.  I am amazed by the range of things that I can cook on the KKs and having two gives me the flexibility to go low and slow on one while I do the hot and fast stuff on the other.  And when you have pulled the low and slow meat for resting you can then crank up the heat and start on the sides or dessert.  The other scenario is when you are cooking a multi course meal, you can swap between the KKs and get food out bang on time.  Whatever you do choose, it will be great.  

P.S.  Have I mentioned the fact that I am in love with the 22" Hi Cap table top and think it would look lovely in cobalt blue pebble? :smt026

• Like 1