Tangles

Jarrah side table

Finally finished off a side table for the KK. It’s not quite the quality of Dennis teak work though.

I had some leftover jarrah slabs from a buffet table I made. I sanded this down and filled the imperfections. I nice satin varnish bought out the red and pinks in the jarrah slabs.

The legs are old jarrah power posts. These had aged badly so I had to cut it back by a few mm. The jarrah was a reddish brown. Again that was varnished. These post are old jarrah and were super heavy.

Jarrah is a hard word and working with it can be hard due to the weight and hardness. I love the colour though.

a26e1a041a986746fe89656131db1985.jpg

3a040fd2caccd852818c30ee60228b9a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Nice job, almost looks like walnut but, I assume it's not indigenous to Austrailia

Jarrah is native to the south west of Western Australia. It gives red and pink hues in terms of colour. The old stuff is very heavy. New Forrest growth is still heavy but not as bad as the old Forrest stuff.
This timber was shipped to the uk to be used as rail sleepers. Each sleeper would weight over 100kg and some sizes 150kg. Even after 100 years these untreated sleepers are ok.
In Australia we use them as floorboards, roofing, jetty’s, decking etc. people recycle them. The legs on the table were from power pole attachments - also 50-60 years old. Still great condition but greyed due to weather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1