tekobo

Nigerian Suya

1 hour ago, Pequod said:

@ckreef - can I request that my suya thread be merged here? Didn’t want to distract from @tekobo‘s awesomeness, but she gave permission after I posted.

28 minutes ago, ckreef said:

I mucked it up a little bit (did a backwards merge) but I think I got it fixed. 

Way hay, that's pretty cool.  The wonders of modern technology.  Looking forward to more suya cooks being added by me and others.  My dad's favourite meat is calf's liver.  I think he will think he has died and gone to heaven if I manage to make a good suya version.  Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tangles said:

How do you keep your kk walls so clean? Mine are pitch black.

I am starting to get paranoid about this.  I genuinely don't know why my KK walls stay white.  Maybe the coco based fuel I use?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Cool.  I was going to suggest that you don't serve the Nigerian version at your 4th of July do.  It is pretty hot and might leave your guests with dicky tummies if it is their first try.   There is a children's chant from colonial times which goes: "Oyinbo pepper, if you eatee pepper, you go yellow more more".  I think we thought white people going red (or yellow) after eating hot stuff was an interesting design flaw.  As it stands my (white) husband and my father are both fine after eating a load of hot suya last night but I am feeling less good.  Go figure.  

Lol! My 4th of July guests have requested more traditional American fare, so they’ll be spared the indignity of going red or yellow, but am looking forward to a side-by-side cook soon. I don’t think my daughter will object. 

However, in keeping with my theme of foreign culture inspired cooks for this week, I have another culture I plan to explore tonight. 

• Like 2

This is so exciting! I lived in Nigeria on and off for some of my thirties (Banana Island at best, Port Harcourt at worst) and suya is still one of my favourite foods. Might make this tomorrow - both cooks look great.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, _Ed_ said:

This is so exciting! I lived in Nigeria on and off for some of my thirties (Banana Island at best, Port Harcourt at worst) and suya is still one of my favourite foods. Might make this tomorrow - both cooks look great.

Nice to meet you @_Ed_.  Also nice to know that you know how it feels, waiting for the suya to come off that stall holder's grill, onto the paper and into your mouth.  Sounds like you were in the oil delta - not that safe a place to be sometimes.

• Like 1

Indeed! Nice to meet you too. PH was not the nicest place, but I still spend a decent amount of time in Lagos (and a little less in Abuja). Nigeria is one of my favourite places in the world. Suya is definitely on the menu for this evening - thanks for the prompt!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, _Ed_ said:

Suya is definitely on the menu for this evening

Looking forward to seeing the results of your cook.  I have the in-laws coming tonight and have gathered a load of offal to try out suya style.  When I was a kid I only ever eat plain beef suya and thought the mystery meat sticks were weird/potentially bad for you.  Looking forward to a grown up try-out.  

• Like 1

My favourite Nigerian mystery meat story involves my father-in-law, who is as American as they come and works at Princeton. Until about six years ago, he had never left the US. However, a Nigerian professor from the University of Abuja was at Princeton for a semester, and invited my FIL to visit Abuja and come and give some guest lectures there. So my FIL acquired a passport for the first time, and merrily trotted off to Abuja. One week into his three-week stay, he was getting to feel pretty comfortable, so went out to see how the locals ate. He went for the streetmeat, including a mystery meat pie from a roadside vendor. Unfortunately, he spent most of the rest of his stay in his hotel bathroom as a result. When confronted about his decision making by my mother-in-law (not a subtle woman, by any measure), his defence was 'well, it smelled so good I couldn't resist! And it tasted great!' She has not allowed him back to Nigeria since...

• Haha 5

Ha ha @_Ed_.  That is really funny.  My family situation is the opposite.  The Husband and his father were both in the forces and have eaten and drunk their way across the world.  Both my parents, returning to Lagos with post graduate degrees from Stanford, were much more circumspect which is why I never got to eat the most risky (=best) street food when I was a kid.  Boo.  

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Tekobo I bought some (4oz) suya spice now what do I do? Just sprinkle it on the meat or make a wet rub? I read so many posts about how wonderful it taste I have to try it. I’ll start with strip steak. 

Bruce, where did you acquire this suya pepper?

The recipe I used called for making a paste with a bit of neutral (canola or similar) oil, but suggest waiting for @tekobo to give you better guidance. 

Bazaar spices online spice shop. I bought 4oz and it cost $26.61 with shipping. Don’t know if it pepper or not it said suya spice? Anyway after reading all the positive post it sounds good so I’ll give it a try. I’m wondering if it would be better to cook it on this (picture posted) or my BBKK ooops no picture it the fire Spence yakatori grill. Any opinion?

15 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Tekobo I bought some (4oz) suya spice now what do I do? Just sprinkle it on the meat or make a wet rub? I read so many posts about how wonderful it taste I have to try it. I’ll start with strip steak. 

Great that you were able to find suya spice all made up Bruce.  I do hope you like it.  

10 minutes ago, Pequod said:

The recipe I used called for making a paste with a bit of neutral (canola or similar) oil, but suggest waiting for @tekobo to give you better guidance. 

I think it is funny that you are deferring to me about advice on cooking suya when all my experience of suya has been buying and eating it, save for cooking it this Saturday.  That means I have the same experience at cooking suya as @Pequod and @tony b 8)

A combo of their methods works - a bit of salt on the meat first for a little while and then the suya spice/pepper/rub with some oil to spread it around and help with the cook.  Worth tasting it first to judge the heat and the amount that might suit you. 

Cooked fine with direct heat low down in the KK but I suspect it could be very good with a yakitori/konro grill.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tekobo said:

I think it is funny that you are deferring to me about advice on cooking suya when all my experience of suya has been buying and eating it, save for cooking it this Saturday.  That means I have the same experience at cooking suya as @Pequod and @tony b 8)

A combo of their methods works - a bit of salt on the meat first for a little while and then the suya spice/pepper/rub with some oil to spread it around and help with the cook.  Worth tasting it first to judge the heat and the amount that might suit you. 

Cooked fine with direct heat low down in the KK but I suspect it could be very good with a yakitori/konro grill.

Only thing I'll add is that the Milk Street recipe called for reserving a bit of the rub for application after grilling while the meat rests. This worked well for me, but I suspect the Milk Street version is a bit tamer than the real deal.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Piqued I’ll send some of the spice if you like, soon as it arrived

Thanks for the offer, but no need. That's the shop I found online too, and it turns out it's very close to my office! Next time I do a Suya cook I plan to stop by and pick some up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bruce Pearson said:

I’m not very good with real spicy is the suya really hot?

No idea what the Bazaar Spices Suya is like. The Milk Street Recipe has you make it from scratch, so you can readily adjust the heat up or down. I'd be happy to send you that recipe if you like. Just PM me an email address.

• Thanks 1