tekobo

Nigerian Suya

My box of goodies from @tony b arrived in super quick time.  Here is the bottle Tony's home made Aji pepper hot sauce and sachet of his own suya blend along with some extra peanut butter powder to so I can try his recipe myself.  

fullsizeoutput_fe0.thumb.jpeg.1a764df57881d4856fe214f6bd1ac243.jpeg

Next, I did something totally inauthentic.  The men who traditionally cook on suya stands in Nigeria are from the north and are generally Muslim.  Therefore pork is off the menu.  But I had some very good cubed pork leg and that is what I cooked.  The three on the left hand skewers are covered in Tony's rub and the ones on the right are sporting the Nigerian Ikoyi Club rub.  More colour in Tony's rub. 

fullsizeoutput_fe7.thumb.jpeg.e3f9151c867e99d8778cb45598696383.jpeg

Obligatory on the fire shot

fullsizeoutput_fe9.thumb.jpeg.836ec3ed9b28b28fb980cc1a694ae747.jpeg

Set up for The Husband to blind taste

1404791273_IA5FY6xZSR6Ku5eVNR2aQ.thumb.jpg.1345f1c4a4b5830e20e95bc791868d6c.jpg

Plated with some yummy ratatouille (more on that later).  

672513673_D617Y3yPQPeZvE4IFzxdw.thumb.jpg.111e54d6e94ad81723db3544a9d4e6e6.jpg

The verdict?  Tony's nailed it! The Husband declared Tony's more interesting, with the same start note as the Nigerian suya but a more "fruity" middle note.  I say Tony's is slightly more gingery.  The reality is that after a few bites (and a fair bit of wine) we genuinely couldn't taste the difference.  Well done Tony.  I could take it a little hotter and might amp up the chilli but it is not all about heat and the taste is v good.  

Now waiting for you to reveal your secret recipe so that I don't have to rely on supplies from Lagos.  :rr:

P.S.  the aji pepper sauce is good too.  I had an improbable combination of the hot sauce with my homemade version of @ckreef's blueberry sauce, my home made potato chips (fries to you), a couple of small pork chops and salad for breakfast today.  Full on yummy.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tony B's Nigerian Suya Pepper Rub

Ingredients (Full Batch)

¼ cup Peanut Butter Powder (PB Fit)

¼ cup Dried Ginger (ground)

4 Maggi Cubes (Nigerian) - small

2 TB Red Pepper Flakes (I use Korean Gochujaru)

1 TB Garlic Powder (SuckleBuster’s SPG)

1 TB Onion Powder (Penzey’s Fox Point, w/a large pinch of dried shallot)

1 tsp White Pepper

1 TB Purple Crack (Tasmanian Pepperberries - ground) – Alternative: 1 tsp Clove (ground)

2 TB Grains of Salim (ground) - Alternative: 4 Black Cardamom pods (ground)

1 TB Javanese Long Pepper (ground) – Alternative: Tellicherry Black Peppercorns (ground)

1 tsp Urfa Biber (smoked Turkish pepper) - Alternative: Chipotle pepper

1 TB Indian Chile Powder (SWAD), or to taste for heat level – Alternative: Cayenne Pepper

Instructions

Grind whole spices in a spice grinder (Note: Grains of Salim are quite fibrous)

Tip:  add some of the pre-ground spices (e.g., garlic powder, onion powder) to the grinder to facilitate grinding the whole spices and Maggi cubes.

Combine all ingredients in a bowl.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, tony b said:

Tony B's Nigerian Suya Pepper Rub

Cool.  Long list of ingredients but all/alternatives are easily sourced.  Will be trying that soon myself.  In the meantime mother and aunties in Lagos are busy sourcing different spices and versions for her to bring over when she visits.  Should be good fun!

• Like 1

I know, it's been a long time...

My mother's visit was delayed by a month or so and when she did finally turn up, she didn't bring those authentic suya pepper ingredients that we were all waiting for.  Instead she brought me two versions of suya pepper from two sources which tasted pretty much the same! 

What she did do, was bring me about eight mysterious bags of spices for making pepper soup.  I hadn't asked for them but an aunt had obviously decided that that was what I was missing and should really have.  I remember @_Ed_ saying how much he loved Nigerian pepper soup so I thought I would post the details here. 

Well, I say details.  I didn't get around to cooking pepper soup when my mother was here and when I unwrapped everything this morning I had this, very exciting, array of spices:

fullsizeoutput_1070.thumb.jpeg.1d5c4bd5f122cea1f6579a3cd006c3d5.jpeg

and this completely incomprehensible set of instructions in her handwriting:

fullsizeoutput_1072.thumb.jpeg.b4311eb85dee6d716703a53176326ff8.jpeg

I called my mum to try to make sense of it and she had only scribbled this down in a hurry as she was leaving and didn't know which name applied to which spice.  It doesn't help that most online recipes refer to using "pepper soup spice" or "Maggi/other stock cubes" and don't get down to the detail of each spice that goes into the mix.  This old bottle of pepper soup spice that I had didn't give me any clues either.

fullsizeoutput_1071.thumb.jpeg.e141cb573c8a78e6fe9c36c5410e5ed1.jpeg

So, I did what any self respecting cook would do.  I made it up.  It came out great.  Haven't actually eaten it yet, just tasted in the pot.  Need the flavours to meld.  Will report back later in the week. In the meantime, here is a link to a pretty photo of what it could look like:

http://sisijemimah.com/2016/11/11/assorted-meat-pepper-soup/  

Sorry, not a ton of help here with identifying those spices, most of which I've never seen before. The dried ginger root is the only thing I'm sure of. The black things in the lower left corner look like my Javanese Long Pepper, the straw looking stuff in the green tub looks like ground lemongrass. After that, not even a wild ass guess as to what the rest of this stuff might be??

19 hours ago, tony b said:

Sorry, not a ton of help here with identifying those spices, most of which I've never seen before.

I hadn't seen them before myself either.  I wasn't aware that we had such a wide range of spices at our disposal back home.  When I was a kid Maggi cubes had taken over the culinary world and I guess MSG trumped everything else.  I worked my way through the spices by trial and error.  Some of them I could guess by looking at a number of recipes and, as you and @MacKenzie spotted, there were a couple of peppers - both in the form of long pods and small peppercorns.  The stuff in the top left bowl was mouldy so I through them out and I broke the pod in the middle and extracted some seeds.  I figured my auntie wouldn't be trying to kill me so I ground them all up and added them to the soup.  It tasted great.  Very happy.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tony b said:

Close enough for government work!

That's what I say to myself when I find myself worrying, with a tape measure, about the exact spacing between my seeds when I am planting on my allotment.  Makes me feel better when I fall short of The Standard.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Pequod said:

My daughter is home from Virginia Tech and what does she request? Suya!

Fab to hear that @Pequod.  The suya looks very good and I am liking the board sauce innovation.  Have you received your Christmas konro yet and was the suya cooked on KK or konro? I have not tried suya on the konro yet, much to @tony b's consternation.  

2 hours ago, tekobo said:

Fab to hear that @Pequod.  The suya looks very good and I am liking the board sauce innovation.  Have you received your Christmas konro yet and was the suya cooked on KK or konro? I have not tried suya on the konro yet, much to @tony b's consternation.  

No signs of a Konro delivery yet, so this was done on the KK. Starting to look like the Konro won’t arrive in time for Christmas, so some other cooker may need to pinch hit so the family doesn’t feel bad. Maybe I’ll let them get me a pizza oven. Anything to keep them from feeling bad... <_<

• Haha 3