ckreef

KK Cold Smoker, Blueberries and Ribs

I finally got my hands on a Komodo Kamado Cold Smoker. This thing is awesome. It burns pellets and/or chips and uses an aquarium air pump to inject smoke into your KK either through your Guru port or (for newer model KK's) a dedicated Cold Smoker port. It arrived earlier this week. I've tested it twice so far. I have a high end aquarium air pump and a two gang valve to control the air flow (more air = more smoke). 

kkcs2.thumb.jpg.328b9921670cab064bd7644295a4a774.jpg

It comes apart without any tools to simplify cleaning. 

kkcs1.thumb.jpg.136d12ff4883ab2d291e2cbeaa83f652.jpg

I'm using B&B Cherry pellets. 

kkcs3.thumb.jpg.8adfcb7c3449cfc0a603e4e0635fb8ae.jpg

To start it up you put about 1/3 cup of pellets in the hopper tube. You then soak about 2 Tbsp's of pellets in alcohol for a few minutes. Drop the soaked pellets in the tube and light it with a long camping lighter from the side hole, leave the top cap off. After the alcohol burns off (10 minutes) your pellets are burning and smoldering. Fill the hopper with pellets and turn on the air pump and set to high. After a few minutes it's rolling out smoke. 

kkcs4.thumb.jpg.75dd109b5ec2db1015a5e9ee0d61d69f.jpg

kkcs5.thumb.jpg.76b0c6a3e32dffebb0fd0cafbb2cfbef.jpg

Once that was done I set the air pump to low and added a tray with 5 cups of Blueberries.  1 1/2 hours later it's still smoking good. The KK didn't really go up in temp (top temp cold smoker KK, bottom temp KK sitting next to it). Time to pull the Blueberries. 

kkcs7.thumb.jpg.78ee4ff15e6daf28a242d9733730ddb6.jpg

kkcs6.thumb.jpg.1e7d7bae29f1a2b1aba48e14be2015d4.jpg

kkcs8.thumb.jpg.69b16478c24f7dca372b69ed69eca08e.jpg

After that was done I kept the cold smoker going and fired up the KK for a low-n-slow rib cook. 5 hours after I fired up the Cold Smoker it's still going strong. Temperature running a little high but I didn't try and bring it down as the ribs went on sort of late in the day and I really want to eat sometime tonight. A nice wisp of smoke. 

kkhs1.thumb.jpg.3e2d62c558ba0f08d6ab8871a39e88ee.jpg

kkhs2.thumb.jpg.f7242f20642cff7758506840f75e1f86.jpg

Ribs not done yet (lower temperature) but they are coming along bathed in smoke. 

kkhs3.thumb.jpg.11ed77cda85714656917dc713fe81b91.jpg

A look inside the hopper tube. After 5 hours of smoke the hopper tube is still more than 1/2 full. 

kkhs4.thumb.jpg.61ab3ce4c58a759e867cdd70f4b6e3d2.jpg

Did I mention how awesome this is. This thing would easily run 10+ hours set to low with a full hopper of pellets.

Cold smoked salmon coming soon ;)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Glad you're liking it. It is a pretty amazing piece of gear for the KK. Dennis is just a genius! 

If you saw my post in another thread, I also did some baby backs tonight using the cold smoker. Your suggestion of 100% pellets was the trick! Best run with the cold smoker to date. Ran flawlessly for the entire 4 hour rib cook. I only filled mine 1/2 way and there was about 1/3 of the pellets left that weren't even beginning to light. I just hit the side air hole with the MAPP torch and off to the races! I started out trying the cotton ball in alcohol, but I was using vodka and it had too much water in it to sustain a flame. Should have gone downstairs to the bar and gotten the Everclear! (190 Proof grain alcohol!) LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Pellets is definitely the way to go. When I said alcohol I was referring to 91% alcohol. If you went downstairs to the Ever clear you could have taken a  shot or three to not only fire up the cold smoker but you would have felt no pain either - :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yes, the difference between pellets and chips is remarkable. However, not all pellets are created equal. I tried pellets when I first got my cold smoker two year ago and found that they left an unnatural, tar-like residue. Cheap, no-name pellets. Tried pellets again earlier this year, but sought out higher quality pellets from cookinpellets.com. Worked like a charm. No going back.

• Like 3

Awesome ckreef those ribs look great .as mine is on its way it's good to see .some positive feedback back. Eddie Mac. Has had great success with mini chunks. And now pellets. Like pequod said depends on the quality I will find out soon .have to start looking for a pump any suggestions

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

2 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

Awesome ckreef those ribs look great .as mine is on its way it's good to see .some positive feedback back. Eddie Mac. Has had great success with mini chunks. And now pellets. Like pequod said depends on the quality I will find out soon .have to start looking for a pump any suggestions

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

I bought the best single outlet pump the local pet store had. The trick is to get a two gang valve. The valve that's not hooked to anything I use as a bleed off and Control the amount of air going to the smoker with that valve. 

• Like 1

I have the cold smoker but the tube going into the KK looks nothing like the one I have. Is that custom? I’ve been using wood chips and sometimes it works fantastic and other times it’s a frustration. I never ventured into the pellets as I believe Dennis mentioned they aren’t ideal. I’m pretty sure it was him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, sfdrew28 said:

I have the cold smoker but the tube going into the KK looks nothing like the one I have. Is that custom? I’ve been using wood chips and sometimes it works fantastic and other times it’s a frustration. I never ventured into the pellets as I believe Dennis mentioned they aren’t ideal. I’m pretty sure it was him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not custom. It does have both the mounting plate for use with a dedicated smoker port and the guru port adapter. 

As for pellets they work really well. I think the general concensus is they burn longer than chips and are a more consistent burn. 

I use it in the dedicated port. My tube into the smoker is shorter and just straight without the second air flow control. At least I think that’s what’s on the bent piece of metal you have.

I’ll give pellets a try. I thought I read that they gum up the tubes a lot quicker than the chips.

Doing a full packer Wagyu brisket starting tonight. Afraid to try them out on that piece of meat but I still might

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, sfdrew28 said:

I use it in the dedicated port. My tube into the smoker is shorter and just straight without the second air flow control. At least I think that’s what’s on the bent piece of metal you have.

I’ll give pellets a try. I thought I read that they gum up the tubes a lot quicker than the chips.

Doing a full packer Wagyu brisket starting tonight. Afraid to try them out on that piece of meat but I still might emoji51.png

What you see on the bent tube is a SS collar that is the guru port adapter. A guru port is probably bigger than a dedicated smoker port. My KK is older and doesn't have a dedicated smoker port. 

Yes I can see where pellets would gum things up quicker than chips. Just need to clean it after each use. 

The up side to pellets is they burn longer and drop through the hopper tube easier. 

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 1

I'll second the 100% pellets route. I started with small wood chips and struggled like the dickens to make it work - almost to the point of ditching the smoker entirely. Then I went with the mix of chips and pellets - better, but still struggled sometimes to keep things lit. This time was the first attempt with all pellets - worked like a charm. I'll deal with an occasional disassembly and cleaning if it continues to work as well as it did on Sunday. YMMV

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, sfdrew28 said:

Okay...you all convinced me to try some hickory pellets on my overnight cook tonight. I figure I’ll go with 1/2 filled as they seem to be slower burning than the chips and I don’t want an overwhelming smoke flavor on the brisket.

I would fire them up then fill the hopper half full. Run the pump on high 10-15 minutes until the smoke is really rolling out. At this point you know everything is good to go. Turn pump on low and it should keep going with a fine wisp of smoke for over 5 hours on a 1/2 load of pellets. 

Let us know how it works out. 

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 1

Thank you gentlemen!
just did a test run and I’m over the moon on how well the smoker worked. The problem I had doing overnight cooks was I’d worry the wood chips would go out. I’ve just been throwing chunks on the coals sometimes to avoid the hassle.

4afa7356b7e7536416db7835277bf40d.jpgb34874d0881448900d3aa6e2b3446bb4.jpg

This is with the Traeger pellets sold at local store.

• Like 3