ckreef

KK Cold Smoker, Blueberries and Ribs

2 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

I came across this today looks perfect single valve with adjustable control. What do you all think good or not . http://www.theaquariumshop.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=848&name=Hailea%20ACO%205504%20Aquarium%20Air%20Pump

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

That one is a duel outlet pump.

Check out ACO 9601 which looks to be their largest single outlet pump. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

I was looking at that one I just thought I could cap of the second valve

Sent from my SM-G900K using Tapatalk

Most duel outlet pumps have two separate billows inside. By completely capping one off you would eventually ruin that billow. You'd be better off with the single outlet version. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ckreef said:

Most duel outlet pumps have two separate billows inside. By completely capping one off you would eventually ruin that billow. You'd be better off with the single outlet version. 

I have a dual output one, but ganged them together with a tee connection into a single tube into the cold smoker. Just another way to skin that cat! 

• Like 1

Was thinking along the lines of Tony .just trying to get a good ltr/pm air flow rating what is yours Dennis's pump says 2,5 to 5 ltr/pm. I found another one I think will be good . https://www.vebas.com.au/products-page/equipment/sicce-voyager-1/

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

On 7/17/2018 at 10:58 AM, sfdrew28 said:

I have the cold smoker but the tube going into the KK looks nothing like the one I have. Is that custom? I’ve been using wood chips and sometimes it works fantastic and other times it’s a frustration. I never ventured into the pellets as I believe Dennis mentioned they aren’t ideal. I’m pretty sure it was him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It wasn't me, I believe that pellets are like briquettes and hot dogs.. if they are made with good fresh ingredients, they can/should be great!

• Like 2

First, a big thank you to @ckreef for initiating this post.  The pictures at the start of the post made it very easy for me to assemble my new hot/cold smoker this afternoon.  It didn't take long to set up and the 250V air pump that Dennis' team sent with the smoker worked just fine in the UK with an adaptor on the plug.  My 1lb bag of pellets was the right size - didn't quite fill the smoker to the top.  I lit the pellets from the side using my MAPP torch and they stayed lit for the whole of my two hour cook. 

Things to note/ask:

1.  Too much smoke?  I was surprised by how much smoke got pumped out, right from the get go.  I turned the pump right down.  The goose breasts that I smoked are cooling.  Will see if they ended up with the right level of smoke. 

2.  Too little smoke?  When I closed the top vent down to a 1/16th turn to keep the temperature down, I noticed that the smoke from the smoker more or less stopped.  Maybe I should have turned the pump up at that point - will experiment next time.  

3.  Don't need the pump? I took the pump off and found that the smoker continued to smoke when I opened up the KK vents for my next, higher temp cook. Guess the KK vacuum pulled the smoke through?

4. Hot hands?  How do you get the smoker off when you are done?  Do you have to undo the Allen key bolts?

5.  Off switch? How do you turn the smoker off? I think I saw a post in which @MacKenzie but hers in a KK to cut off air supply.  I wanted to do the same but see 4 above.  Instead I just left the smoker attached to the KK with the vents on the latter closed.  Seemed to work.  

Happy to have my smoker and looking forward to smoking all sorts of food with it. 

• Like 3

1 & 2 - just experiment with your setup for the types of smoking you want to do and gauge it from there, is my best advice. 

3 - I've never tried it, so I have zero experience with using natural convection with the smoker.

4 - just use my regular Kevlar gloves to take it out and replace the plug. I usually dump out the pellets into an old terracotta planter and put back into the KK to snuff them out. 

5 - see #4. 

Sounds like you're well on your way with this new toy! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @tony b.  No. 4 is particularly helpful.  I don't have a decent pair of gloves - the ones I have get warm too quick - will look out for some better ones.  What I wasn't sure of was whether there is a secret, quick way of detaching the smoker from the KK.  Do I need to undo the bolts and take them right out of the KK in order to get the smoker off?

Thanks @MacKenzie.  I am wondering if I need to drill a round hole at the bottom of each of the two vertical slots in the bracket to make it easy to slip the smoker off when done i.e. without needing to fully remove the bolts.  Will see if others with similar configuration come up with a magic solution.  If not, holes will be drilled.  

• Like 1

I am not at home at the moment but I have stolen the below shot from @Adventureman82's post to illustrate my "problem". To fit my cold smoker I took out the bolt in the middle and slotted the tube in.  The only problem is that the smoker was not very stable that way.  So... I took out the two little bolts using the supplied Allen key and screwed the bracket that comes with the smoker onto the KK with these two bolts.  Super stable but a pain to remove when you want to dismantle the smoker.  I will take photos when I get home.  I may be over complicating this so any help/observations gratefully received.  

On 5/3/2019 at 11:07 PM, Adventureman82 said:

Can someone please tell me what this is for?f7d80d0e45d9e614bce93358f3351255.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, tekobo said:

Thanks @MacKenzie.  I am wondering if I need to drill a round hole at the bottom of each of the two vertical slots in the bracket to make it easy to slip the smoker off when done i.e. without needing to fully remove the bolts.  Will see if others with similar configuration come up with a magic solution.  If not, holes will be drilled.  

As you know I don't have the bolts but that sounds like a perfect solution. :) 

• Thanks 1