cruzmisl

Made some jerky!!

I made some jerky over the last few days and here is the process.

Get some lean meat, in this case buffalo eye of round and cut it with the grain in 1/8" strips. I had my butcher do mine.

jerky1.jpg

Then combine your marinade. For me I used soy sauce, worchesteshire (sp??), A-1, garlic and onion powder, cayenne and liquid smoke.

jerky2.jpg

Place marinade in ziploc bag with the meat and marinate over night.

jerky3.jpg

Lay flat on racks without any overlap and place in dehydrator

jerky4.jpg

When done to your liking remove from dehydrator, for me it was about 3 hours

jerky5.jpg

Enjoy big pile of jerky :)

jerky6.jpg

Joe

Man, I want some jerky! Anyone here making jerky in their KK?

Must be nice to find a butcher that will cut that up for you and understand what you want. Sadly, there are no butcher shops around here; just grocery store meat departments. Nine out of ten just gave me a blank stare when I asked them to cut 1/8 thick slices with the grain. Now, since I bought a commercial slicer, I just buy the center round and cut it myself. Works out cheaper when I buy the whole roast. Plus I get a lot of use out of the slicer with turkey, ham and salami.

-=Jasen=-

Yes' date=' I have had great success at making jerky on my KK, use a recipe similiar to cruzmisl and cook at about 150 deg. for 4-6 hours. I use london broil however.[/quote']

Great! I am gonna have to give that a try. I think the racks I use the in oven will fit in the KK to make things easier.

-=Jasen=-

Made some jerky!!

I have done jerky several times in an FEC-100 pellet smoker. The first time I had a meat department slice 5#'s of brisket. The next time I had a butcher slice up 20#'s of what he called Special Trim, which appears more like round steak--very low fat to be trimmed. He packaged in 5# vac seal bags for me. The butcher suggested a bit thicker than 1/8", so I went with his recommendation. I have done various flavors, but have used Morton Tender Quick cure each time in the marinade and have the meat marinate for 36-48 hours.

I used metal shish kabob skewers through the meat and hung then across the grill rack of the FEC-100. I set on Smoke setting for 2 hours and then at 180 for another 4 hours. I refrigerate overnight after smoking and then apply a solution of potassium sorbate to inhibit mold. After this dries, I vac pack and have shipped to my Godson in Iraq. He's a jerky eating machine and has been very pleased with the results. The finished yield is about half the starting weight. The meat comes out with a smoky but not overpowering or bitter flavor. Texture has some bark to the outside but still a bit chewy.

I have not yet experienced cooking on a ceramic, but will get my opportunity with a KK soon. With all I have read, these are very moist cookers, so you would probably want to vent out some moisture periodically to dry the jerky.

Regards,

Will

Use lean meat, marinade in preferred seasonings, and lightly smoke at about 150-175 until desired dryness is achieved.

As mentioned by someone earlier, you might want to go with a smaller fire, and vents a bit more open to dry things out. I have not tried that technique, but sounds like a good idea.

If you vent the grill, it is gonna let more air in and raise the temps. Using lean meat, it is gonna dry out, so I would not worry about that. While ceramics keep food very moist, that is generally because there is a lot of moisture already in the food; fat and collagen, not water.

If you want to vent it, your gonna have to use something with a constant heat source not affected by the addional air flow. One alternative would be to create a smoke/heat generator external to the KK, such as with cold smoking. You could use a weber smokey joe or other small grill and pipe it over to the kk with a foil hose. You could then open up the KK more to increase airflow.

-=Jasen=-