rorkin

Question for Stoker users with KK

Re: Stoker users

I am debating between the stoker or the guru.

I know you'd rather hear from someone who has both, but maybe you'll settle for a response from someone who has neither :) From my research it seems that either is overkill for a big ceramic like a K or a KK, even for a thinner BGE it's probably not as useful as it could be since ceramic cookers maintain heat much better naturally. From what I can tell the Guru (especially the new wireless version) seems to have some more advanced cooking features like the ramp mode and is easier to set up. The Stoker supports multiple cookers and is more gadget-friendly with an Ethernet management port, a flexible device port specification that may support more interesting sensors and devices like a KK lid opener, and upgradeable software (which may equal or exceed the Guru's possible advantage in cooking algorithms).

My unsupported opinion of them is that the Guru is a more polished plug-n-play product for the typical grill-Meister but that the Stoker's multi-cooker and upgrade features make it attractive to advanced users (not advanced cooks who probably need neither, but people who like their gadgets). However I'm also acutely aware that highly flexible and upgradeable products like the Stoker rarely reach their full potential since the parts that the designer thinks he should make upgradeable are invariably the ones that remain static - Mr. Murphy was an engineer :) Even with that knowledge I'll probably start with a Stoker and, if my interest is piqued, I'll probably get a Guru as well in the future.

I am debating between the stoker or the guru.

I know you'd rather hear from someone who has both, but maybe you'll settle for a response from someone who has neither :) From my research it seems that either is overkill for a big ceramic like a K or a KK, even for a thinner BGE it's probably not as useful as it could be since ceramic cookers maintain heat much better naturally. From what I can tell the Guru (especially the new wireless version) seems to have some more advanced cooking features like the ramp mode and is easier to set up. The Stoker supports multiple cookers and is more gadget-friendly with an Ethernet management port, a flexible device port specification that may support more interesting sensors and devices like a KK lid opener, and upgradeable software (which may equal or exceed the Guru's possible advantage in cooking algorithms).

My unsupported opinion of them is that the Guru is a more polished plug-n-play product for the typical grill-Meister but that the Stoker's multi-cooker and upgrade features make it attractive to advanced users (not advanced cooks who probably need neither, but people who like their gadgets). However I'm also acutely aware that highly flexible and upgradeable products like the Stoker rarely reach their full potential since the parts that the designer thinks he should make upgradeable are invariably the ones that remain static - Mr. Murphy was an engineer :) Even with that knowledge I'll probably start with a Stoker and, if my interest is piqued, I'll probably get a Guru as well in the future.

Sounds like a pretty fair assessment. Two things I would like to point out though.

While nobody needs a Guru / Stoker as you mentioned, it is also about peace of mind while doing that all night cook with $50-$100 bucks of meats. You say, but I can use a Maverick or Polder remote....you still gotta get up! With a Guru (and even if you do not get the ProCom, you can use in conjunction with a Maverick), will auto adjust things for you so you do not have to get out of bed or worry.

The other point is the Guru is upgradable; just not by the end user. Unfortunately there is a fee involved too which is pretty bogus (they should do it for shipping/handling). But just as you mentioned, it is rare that anyone makes an upgrade (I think Guru has only one offered).

-=Jasen=-

While nobody needs a Guru / Stoker as you mentioned, it is also about peace of mind while doing that all night cook with $50-$100 bucks of meats. You say, but I can use a Maverick or Polder remote....you still gotta get up! With a Guru (and even if you do not get the ProCom, you can use in conjunction with a Maverick), will auto adjust things for you so you do not have to get out of bed or worry.

The other point is the Guru is upgradable; just not by the end user. Unfortunately there is a fee involved too which is pretty bogus (they should do it for shipping/handling). But just as you mentioned, it is rare that anyone makes an upgrade (I think Guru has only one offered).

-=Jasen=-

My 2 cents.

It's about piece of mind...(I have a guru)

I just plug my guru in and the temperature is stable for the duration of the cook! Ramp mode also allows me to ensure that the meat is never overcooked.

Hm didn't know guru had upgrades?

I have the Stoker (had some feedback in another thread somewhere) but here are my pluses and minuses:

The Good:

- Able to monitor and adjust temps from work (over internet)

- Able to cook through the night w/o worries

- Able to monitor a large amount of meat on the KK

- Grill level temps (dome temp of KK is significantly higher than the Stoker grill-level temp)

- Upgradable

- Fan unit plugs directly into the KK (no adapters)

The Bad:

- More wires and boxes vs. the Guru (i.e. Guru sits on the tube, Stoker is a stand alone box)

- No included shut-off plug (However the fan won't let air in unless it's blowing)

- You MUST light only a little bit of charcoal when using any of these fan devices (Minion method recommended). These units will not be able to run low temps if 1/2 the charcoal is lit. This is an issue with all fan units.

- Probe wires are a bit short for having the Stoker box on the ground and the probes in the grill. With a side table this isn't a problem. I believe you can order longer wires & I'd recommend this.

- Won't do ultra-hot temps (800 degrees for steak, etc.). This isn't a big issue IMO.

- Web interface does not have an alarm system (auto-refresh the browser & flash the screen when temps go over a certain limit, etc.).

- No easy way to shut off the alarm when you go over your temp limit. I.E. I'd like to hit a button to silence the alarm and the alarm would only re-arm itself when it dips below the peak temp again.

IMO, using the minion method + setting the draft doors intelligently will allow you to maintain a steady temp through the night. I've tracked this with the Stoker (no fan, only temp measurement) and it stays within 10 degrees or so through the night.

Can I get this in the Readers Digest version? What, nothing about algorithms?

Can I get this in the Readers Digest version? What' date=' nothing about algorithms?[/quote']

The short version:

The Stoker is a better gadget with better bells and whistles and has a lot of geek appeal because of it. The Guru is the better mass market product with a few better algorithms and is more plug-n-play.

Of course, take this with a grain of your favorite sodium-based dry rub since I own neither. :)

Since I don't think it was linked in this thread (although it was mentioned), here's TNW's excellent comparison for more details.

Greg writes about the difficulty of doing a low and slow with the stoker or guru. Setting the KK manually, not using the fan for and overnight and so on. Do you all ( those of you who own a guru or stoker) have similar problems. I was really really thinking on buying one, but the main reason I see for having on would be for the long overnight cooks.

Greg said not to light too much lump on the outset, or you wont be able to maintain the low temps.

Yes, your KK should be able to hold a steady temp overnight with just the proper airflow settings. A guru/stoker simply adds piece of mind so you can sleep a little easier without worrying or getting up to check your temps.

Have you done a low/slow using just the KK yet? Give it a try...do it in the daytime when you can check it periodically. Once you gain some confidence in the grill, you may decide you dont really need a controller, though insurance is still nice to have :D

First low and slow I ever did, I stayed awake all night. Ugh!! Now I trust the setting, since I know how to do it.

I put a stripe of white out on the tile of the top damper, so I know how far a quarter, eighth, or whatever turn is. That makes it easier. It scratches off with a fingernail, so not permanent.

But Firemonkey's suggestion is good. Try controlling the temp all day, maybe with ribs started early in the morning to serve that evening. That way you get a sense of how the temp holds. Then try an overnight.

:D

Greg writes about the difficulty of doing a low and slow with the stoker or guru. Setting the KK manually' date=' not using the fan for and overnight and so on. Do you all ( those of you who own a guru or stoker) have similar problems. I was really really thinking on buying one, but the main reason I see for having on would be for the long overnight cooks.[/quote']

Love my Guru! Never had any issues with it for a low and slow (that is the whole purpose for one anyway). I have some tips in the KK411 section that might help you. But main thing is let the Guru do the work, meaning to choke it down and make the fan push the air. Bottom totally closed and only a very tiny crack on the tophat (I do not even use 1/4 turn, just crack it off the seat). Light a very small fire (90 seconds on the gas attachment) and let it come up to temps slowly. If you set the fan damper full open, just set it to a lower temp first (say 200 if you want 225), let it rise, rest a few, then move up to desired as that will help minimze overshoot!

Hope that helps!

-=Jasen=-

Greg writes about the difficulty of doing a low and slow with the stoker or guru. Setting the KK manually' date=' not using the fan for and overnight and so on. Do you all ( those of you who own a guru or stoker) have similar problems. I was really really thinking on buying one, but the main reason I see for having on would be for the long overnight cooks.[/quote']

I don't have one of either but I do know that people rant and rave about them, even people that have known how to do a low n slow for many years without one.

No matter how good you are at setting your KK for a low n slow you can't control how it may sometimes hiccup...those are the times you would have been glad you had one...peace of mind. When I'm doing an overnighter I look at the remote temp gauge every couple of hours (I get up and pee a lot :oops: ) anyways.

Thanks everyone I appreciate all comments and advise from you experienced chefs.

I have done a couple day time long cooks (6 to 8 hours), and for a novice did pretty well maintaining a low temp, but I did have to make adjustments along the way.

I think I will buy a stoker if I can make myself write the check! If for no other reason than to have a quality exterior meat thermometer, and knowing the grill temp as opposed to only the dome temp would be reassuring. I had been using a Taylor meat thermometer but it is totally screwed up, probably needs a new cable, I have already gone thru several.