GSWHoops

Getting a cooker off a pickup

Re: Getting a cooker off a pickup

Hi everyone

I just sent a payment in for a cooker. I'm planning on picking it up from the terminal. Anyone have any ideas of how to get it off of my pickup once I get it home?

I believe there are some threads around here somewhere with deal with this.

1. Take the crate apart

2. Take the top off and all the guts out.

3. Use the nylon ropes Dennis sends and a couple of 2x4's and 4 hungry fellows and it should not be all that difficult. The ropes go under the legs and you put the 2x4's through the loops at the ends and use to lift.

I had 3 of us lift mine onto a pickup without using the straps or 2x4's so if you do it the correct way it should really be no problem. 400 lbs or so without the top and insides should be a breeze for 4 people.

Okay take 2 2x6's and lay them side by side coming off the open gate. Move the KK close to the gate and lay it over on it's side. Make sure the 2x6's are chocked at the bottom, lift the KK onto the 2x6's and slide down. Easier way is if you have a hill and can back to gate on to the hill. Wife and I removed the lid (super easy) and moved it around back to the patio. It's heavy but doable!

Re: Getting a cooker off a pickup

I believe there are some threads around here somewhere with deal with this.

1. Take the crate apart

2. Take the top off and all the guts out.

3. Use the nylon ropes Dennis sends and a couple of 2x4's and 4 hungry fellows and it should not be all that difficult. The ropes go under the legs and you put the 2x4's through the loops at the ends and use to lift.

I had 3 of us lift mine onto a pickup without using the straps or 2x4's so if you do it the correct way it should really be no problem. 400 lbs or so without the top and insides should be a breeze for 4 people.

When you say 400lbs, is that the weight of the whole cooker or just the bottom? It sounds like this cooker weighs less than the mexi-K. I had my mexi-K (the one with the 12 inch crack in the back) delivered to my house and the truck had a lift gate. I'm going to be picking up my KK in my pickup, so it would be really nice if it was not as heavy. Sounds like it's pretty easy to get the top off, which is helpful.

Thanks Fetzervalve. If I can't find 3 guys to help, I'll probably do something like that.

Although I just saw the weights listed here

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/FAQ.htm

Are these weights still accurate? I'm getting a textured OTB. If the lower part is in the 250lb range, then my neighbor and I could probably lift it out ourselves. But if it's 400lb like Curly said then we may need a couple more guys.

Thanks Fetzervalve. If I can't find 3 guys to help, I'll probably do something like that.

Are these weights still accurate? I'm getting a textured OTB. If the lower part is in the 250lb range, then my neighbor and I could probably lift it out ourselves. But if it's 400lb like Curly said then we may need a couple more guys.

I'd trust that a lot more than my memory. Sorry bout that, for some reason it was stuck in my head that the bottom was 400.

Hoops,

Get a U-Haul low trailer (and a cart) and it's a snap. (I don't have any friends and the neighbors don't like me either... :oops: )

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=750

Dude, if you got a KK and the neighbors still don't like you then you got some serious personality problems. Couse, I can say that cause I ain't got no stinkin neighbors :shock:

Hoops,

Get a U-Haul low trailer (and a cart) and it's a snap. (I don't have any friends and the neighbors don't like me either... :oops: )

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=750

Dude, if you got a KK and the neighbors still don't like you then you got some serious personality problems. Couse, I can say that cause I ain't got no stinkin neighbors :shock:

At least the dog likes you though Curly? At least when your not stealing his deer carcass. hehe

-=Jasen=-

My total shipping weight was 568 lbs, (crate included) it is tiled, so perhaps a little more than a textured, but the bottom could be 400 easy.

the textured bottom half is +- 260lbs

My total shipping weight was 568 lbs, (crate included) it is tiled, so perhaps a little more than a textured, but the bottom could be 400 easy.

You boys gotta remember that there is the firebox and all that damn heavy stainless.. Pull it out and the textured bottom half is +- 260lbs

No problem with four guys..

:lol::lol::lol:

Re: the textured bottom half is +- 260lbs

You boys gotta remember that there is the firebox and all that damn heavy stainless.. Pull it out and the textured bottom half is +- 260lbs

No problem with four guys..

:lol::lol::lol:

Shoot, Turtle weighs more than that...give him a call. :shock:

Well, it turns out that I don't have to worry about getting it off of my truck. A guy just came today with a lift gate and dropped it off. I had no idea that it was coming so soon! It was a nice surprise. I've been waiting to hear from Dennis about the delivery date so I coordinate getting some guys together to help me get it, and all of a sudden it just shows up on my driveway.

Only bad part was I didn't have anything ready to cook so I didn't get to try it out tonight...but I did manage to pick up some spare ribs for tomorrow!