DennisLinkletter

Heat Deflectors in the KK?

Yes, all Komodo Kamado grills used to come standard with heat deflectors..

I've learned it's easier to give people what they want than to educate them.  I supply them because people coming from the glazed-pot Kamado world think they're very important.  Glazed pot Kamados are basically uninsulated and when the ambient temperature changes/drops their temperature can crash.  Having a heat deflector reflecting heat back into the firebox gives these grills thermal mass/ a heat sink to help stabilize temps during these ambient temperature swings. Their deflector and firebox are the only components that are not exposed to the changing ambient temps. The thin glazed pot walls are unable to hold and give off heat the way a big thick cement hot face that is also insulated can.

Because KK's are so well insulated, this is not a factor. The heat deflector requires you to burn more fuel, creating more airflow, more evaporation, and less retained moisture in your meat. I suggest preheating the grill empty and then putting foil on the lower grate, the size, and the area you want to be indirect. You only need the foil to be large enough to block the infrared radiation coming directly off the coals from hitting your meat.  Put your drip pan on top of the foil,  install the main grill, and put your meat above the area with the foil. Put the upper grill on top of that and more meat. You're off to the races.  The foil is much higher above the charcoal than where the heat deflectors sit and will not trap/reflect as much heat back into the firebox.

That being said, I have not used the heat deflector in one of my grills for probably 10 years. Your results will be better using foil to create an indirect area.
You will burn less fuel, create less airflow, less evaporation, and will have more retained moisture in your meat..

Will the forum family please chime in how they feel about using foil or the deflectors so I can use this post as a reference.. 

• Like 4

On 10/28/2019 at 11:12 PM, Syzygies said:

I'm not sure where my heat deflector is, but I do use the double drip pan when I'm trying to tune how much radiant heat comes from below.

Fuel efficiency? This is like debating flower pens when some people are still rolling joints. Although I never use my precious coffee lump indirect.

Do you think all those coffee grounds we throw out today and maybe recycled tomorrow then placed in the Syzygies basket could add any flavor to a piece of meat?   I would only say since you don't use coffee lump indirect. 

Edited by Tyrus

I used the heat deflector once or twice. It took a considerable amount of time and fuel to get the KK up to smoking temp. It got the job done but not as convenient as foil and/or a drip pan that produces the same results. I think foil provides greater control and options to match my cooking style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Do you think all those coffee grounds we throw out today and maybe recycled tomorrow then placed in the Syzygies basket could add any flavor to a piece of meat?   I would only say since you don't use coffee lump indirect. 

I sell a coffee wood lump charcoal with a wonderful flavor profile that I often am unable to keep in stock because if shipping/sea freight issues, nothing to do with coffee.  That being said, coffee grounds will impart some flavor.. not sure what it would be like..  I'm guessing most of the oils/flavor has been extracted.  I've smoked chicken with rosemary leaves.. Less is more!

• Like 1

The other day I cleaned out the basket and started a fire set for 350. I returned 20-25 minutes later and opened the lid and found I left the two top grates out, ahhh another 15-20 minute wait. So I understand with the deflector being added the wait would be all that much longer. A creature of habit I am. Do I still reach for the deflector... well yes, only because someone made it to the perfect size and it fits so well.  Old habits are hard to break and I'm a patient guy (meaning I don't mind the wait most times) but the evidence is overwhelming and I seem to be painted into a corner standing alone. You could say it's easy to stand with the crowd, it takes courage to stand alone.... but, in this case, "I think I'll grab the rope" and join you and maybe move the Aluminum foil closer to the grill. And with the savings I get with all the coal I'm not burning off.. well, maybe a new car

On 11/1/2019 at 12:24 AM, Tyrus said:

And with the savings I get with all the coal I'm not burning off.. well, maybe a new car

It's more about the results.. burn less fuel, create less airflow, less evaporation, and BINGO more retained moisture.. the holy grail of low and slow!

• Like 3