Basher

Wagyu Whole Rib Fillet Tips

I have a very exciting weekend coming up.

Grand Final World Cup Rugby on Saturday night and my wife is taking a couple of nights with her mates on the Gold Coast.

This leads to a bachelors night with mates over to watch the rugby and play with the new KK.

A friend running this business is producing some terrific products https://stockyardbeef.com.au/stockyard-awarded-gold-at-world-steak-challenge/  and has offered me a Wagyu rib fillet roll. I am looking for suggestions on techniques from the floor.

What would you do?

I was thinking about spicing the roll with a dry rub, sear the outside, rest, maybe refrigerate, and slice into steaks, then grill the steaks. Mindful that I don't want to overcook it.

Any other ideas?

• Like 1

So Mac, sear it plain, no salt, no spice? Then salt and spice it?

Then fridge again while the spices soak in? Then cook it.

I ended up with a 6.8kg( 15lb) wagyu striploin with a heavy fat cap. Marbling score of the meat around 5- 6. 

b93449626b38bdb74de5db1413675352.jpg

8acd439d01a0d1e1baaa3ae56e859048.jpg

They export most of their beef and don't have a specific shop front. While there, I couldn't help myself and also grabbed a small 2kg rib fillet with a marble score of 9. It looks delish already.... in the plastic wrap!

be814426577db1d3a3ab70472165a4cb.jpg

• Like 4

Two, yes two beautiful cuts of meat. You must be expecting a special guest or I dare it's your birthday or someone else's at home. Gonna have to pair that with a nice wine,,,,bon appetit.  Apologies, I missed the top leading entry and commented on the pictures but anyhow things have changed,,,pair that with some good beer maybe a case or two

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 1

Whenever the meat is that good, am a huge advocate for salt + peper at 24-36 hrs before, cook it, then little finishing salt and pepper. Not much needed to bring out those flavors - but the diff between 3 hrs of salt and 24 is substantial. I also prefer the pepper early, some chefs don't. Enjoy!

• Like 2

Thanks for your tips.

Here’s what Wagyu striploin with a marble score of 5- 6 looks like when it’s calling for me!

d91daa57464711e7d03f812bbd001944.jpg

I read a tragic post here from Cookie with his 11 lb striploin. I hope cookie has recovered from it catching on and needing to be doused with a fire extinguisher. Soooo

Now I’m feeling his pressure! Not sure I could recover from this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3