Alohapiggy

Pizza Question

Hi,  I was curious when y’all make pizza do u guys use a heat deflector on the lower grate and pizza stone on the extended grate?  That’s how I’ve done my first few pizzas. Those first few came out good crust was good. Last night same set up but dough wasn’t crispy but kinda soggy. It’s seems like last night the pizza stone didn’t get hot enough. I had the grilled warmed up at 500 degrees for 2 hours but everything was sticking to the pizza stone which probably meant the stone wasn’t hot enough. 

If u don’t use a heat deflector does the pizza stone get to hot??? I don’t wanna burn the bottom of the crust and not cook the ingredients.  

No deflector stone. Put the pizza stone on the upper grate where the radiant heat from the dome will cook the top of the pizza at about the same rate as the crust getting done on the stone. The stone will also heat up faster without the deflector.

If you're having a sticking problem, consider using parchment paper - will help slide the pizzas off your peel, prevent sticking on the stone and won't interfere with crust development. If you're worried about the crust, you can always remove the parchment paper after about 3 minutes (once you see it starting to dry out.)

• Like 1

I've always done my pizza using the method Tony just posted until I read the uses for the double bottom pan that Syzygies posted. Since then I've been using the double bottomed pan on a grate under the upper grate with the KK pizza stone on it. The top cooks better and the bottom does not burn. This is now my go to method for pizza. 

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 1

So we're you putting the double bottom pan on the lower grate then adding the top grate then the extra grate with the pizza stone.

I've always done my pizza using the method Tony just posted until I read the uses for the double bottom pan that Syzygies posted. Since then I've been using the double bottomed pan on a grate under the upper grate with the KK pizza stone on it. The top cooks better and the bottom does not burn. This is now my go to method for pizza. 

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

So we're you putting the double bottom pan on the lower grate then adding the top grate then the extra grate with the pizza stone.

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

No, I put the db pan on the main grate then added the upper grate with the stone on it. 

Here is the arrangement and it sits on the main grate which is in the KK. (Not in this pix.)

image.thumb.png.e2c473677d1f0787bd14089ff378f5e2.png

• Like 1