golfpro2301

Turkey Help

Hey all. Feels like been forever since I have been on here. I have been using the 23 pretty much every weekend to cook steak and wings and thats about it. Started Keto diet in February and down 80lbs. Cant eat the sweet pulled pork or ribs and it sucks.  Doing the Thanksgiving bird in the KK again this year. Last rear ran it about 280 on the upper grate and turned out good. Going to crank it up 325-350 this year and was wondering about putting it high up in the dome. Would that be good idea or burn the skin?

Also I have a 23lb butter ball and think at 325-350 will take 4 hours. It is your typical 8% solution so am probably not going to bring but was going to inject with a savory/brown sugar injection. Anyone have any good recipes?

As always appreciate the help

I had posted earlier about deboning a whole Turkey as alternative with the stuffing inserted and tied. Height wouldn't be an issue. I practiced on a good size chicken and the results were very good. If your daring and welcome something outside the box this might be the challenge your looking for.

• Like 2

Tis the season and it looks tempting too bite into. If you didn't know, to crunch the skin you could pause the motor for a time to brown it up, just sayin.  Roto is very hypnotic, unsure if it's turn of the style or the hum of the motor, it just turns out soooooooo good.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, merrill said:

I have been using cocochar for the past 4 months and I usually throw in some apple to get more smoke.  I have found it to be very neutral.  Does it very from box to box?

No. Coco char is desirable precisely because it is neutral. Allows you to add whatever smoke wood you want for flavor without a pungent charcoal smoke competing with it.

• Like 2