Braai-Q

Cola Ham

Hi KK'ers 

My wife has decreed that there shall be a ham this Christmas and she wants to do it in Cola. 

I've found a recipe that I think looks decent after having drawn blank searching on this forum along with Amazing Ribs which surprised me.

So I thought I'd try this: https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/nigella-lawsons-ham-coca-cola/A3UnN7EQ but it occured to me that someone may have a tried and tested recipe on the forum that they might be willing to share? 

If nobody has a go to recipe, I'll post up how the one above goes for the benefit of the group with pictures of course.

Thanks and gratitude in advance for any recommendations.

Alex

• Like 2

That looks tasty Alex.
It reminded me of my carnie days in Canada.
We would load up flipping burger patties before the lunch rush and keep them in heated bowls of bbq sauce mixed with Coca Cola.
Coke was the secret ingredient, people would rave about this sauce.
You will have to do a trial run before Xmas day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks Basher. Yeah, I think you're right, a trial is definitely required. 

The high sugar content of coke is what does it. Per the recipe, I worked out that it's 212 grams of sugar (factoring a 2 litre bottle). I think I might end up inventing my own version once I understand the flavour profile.

There is a recipe that I picked up from Waitrose supermarkets in the UK  for ginger glazed pork hocks. It calls for a fiery ginger beer - their in house product that they recommend is great but Canada Dry or similar is a perfectly good substitute. I was struck by just how much ginger flavour the hock took. It was fabulous and I was really surprised as ginger generally is a more subtle flavour and harder to exaggerate unless you get really extreme with fresh ginger. So an observation on carbonated flavoured drinks and pork. 😃

We're staying away from family this Christmas so it's just my wife and the dog so we only have ourselves to please. The dog is a most willing participant in any of these experiments.

• Like 2

Always looking for a good idea not far off the track for the holiday..and this one seems to place. Have to admit treacle was a term unfamiliar to me and I was surprised to find it's simply molasses. Kinda straight forward and simple with this cook meaning you don't have to dirty every pan in the kitchen. I also saw another good holiday choice with a rolled stuffed sage sausage pork loin from the YouTube channel featured on TheScottReaProject. For appearance it's sure to please the 16 guests I have coming to dinner, check it out..the chef is in your neighborhood.

1 hour ago, Tyrus said:

Always looking for a good idea not far off the track for the holiday..and this one seems to place. Have to admit treacle was a term unfamiliar to me and I was surprised to find it's simply molasses. Kinda straight forward and simple with this cook meaning you don't have to dirty every pan in the kitchen. I also saw another good holiday choice with a rolled stuffed sage sausage pork loin from the YouTube channel featured on TheScottReaProject. For appearance it's sure to please the 16 guests I have coming to dinner, check it out..the chef is in your neighborhood.

Well, 'Alright treacle' is Cockney rhyming slang for 'Sweetheart' so not sure that substituting molasses in for Londoners would work! 😁

I've added the Scott Rea project to my watch list, thanks for the tip. I'll be expecting a post match report from you with a selection of reviews from your 16 guests of course!!! 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Pequod said:

Nigella is usually on point. Looks like a decent recipe.

Yeah. I agree with you but there is something inauthentic about someone making recipes which are so far removed from their own food traditions that it makes me slightly mistrustful. It's undoubtedly an unfair assessment but when you think Nigella, you think 'deepest home counties' not 'deep South!'..... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Braai-Q said:

Yeah. I agree with you but there is something inauthentic about someone making recipes which are so far removed from their own food traditions that it makes me slightly mistrustful. It's undoubtedly an unfair assessment but when you think Nigella, you think 'deepest home counties' not 'deep South!'..... 

A fair point. If you want authentic Deep South, go with a glazed double smoked ham. I’ve done this one and it’s a keeper: https://lanesbbq.com/blogs/recipes/this-double-smoked-ham-recipe-will-blow-your-mind. There is cola in the glaze.

FE5F9342-E95D-43A5-BCEF-E373C2CB01FD.thumb.jpeg.e6fc36a0694560cc27ec0671dcfa8f9d.jpeg

Edited by Pequod
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Pequod said:

A fair point. If you want authentic Deep South, go with a glazed double smoked ham. I’ve done this one and it’s a keeper: https://lanesbbq.com/blogs/recipes/this-double-smoked-ham-recipe-will-blow-your-mind

FE5F9342-E95D-43A5-BCEF-E373C2CB01FD.thumb.jpeg.e6fc36a0694560cc27ec0671dcfa8f9d.jpeg

My god that looks good. I've just had a look at the website and I suspect the 'secret sauce' is their Sweet Heat rub. 

I'm going to try the Cola recipe next weekend by which time the Sweet Heat rub will have arrived. 

Thanks for the recommendation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, subseaaggie said:

any recommendations for a rub other than the Sweet Heat?  I am currently in a location that is limited on rubs.  Would Tony Chachere’s work?

Lane's is excellent, but any sweet heat type of rub would work. I don't know Tony Chachere's, but if you'd use it on pork it would probably be fine here.