zich6

Yeah, I got your charcoal starter....

Tony how very very true LOL! but in my defense I did try using the weed burner to light my KK and it made a mess charcoal dust everywhere. My set up for lack of a better word has two speeds low and high, low doesn’t seen any better than my looflighter or heat gun. But high is scary it sounds like a nasa rocket taking off. 
I’m happy using the wax lighters,more to this old mans speed LOL. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Tony how very very true LOL! but in my defense I did try using the weed burner to light my KK and it made a mess charcoal dust everywhere. My set up for lack of a better word has two speeds low and high, low doesn’t seen any better than my looflighter or heat gun. But high is scary it sounds like a nasa rocket taking off. 
I’m happy using the wax lighters,more to this old mans speed LOL. 

You can adjust the flame with this one.  On high the flame is a roaring 12", but it adjusts down to a rather tame 4".

• Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure a number of us use this one hand torch, the TS8000 with the Map/Pro canister (yellow). It has a quartz one click replaceable igniter and adjustable blue flame. Quite powerful and does the trick for a one hand convenience. Screw on bottle  and whole kit $55.  Doesn't have that kind of horsepower but hey 30-40 seconds and your done

DSCF2790.JPG

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tony b said:

Mine is a long barreled weed burner, so you don't have to lean into the grill to light the coals. 

That's one of the reasons I use my weed burner and it's much faster than a MAPP torch, 10-15 seconds for a full load on my 32".  Mine was $40 delivered from Amazon and is 500,000 BTU, vs MAPP 13,000, so no wonder it's faster.

After using almost every method, I have settled on the charcoal chimney fired up with a Weber cube. No flying ash, fast, easy, light it and walk away. No buying and schlepping gas tanks or cylinders, no need to stand there holding the torch or weed burner. You can just lay the cube on top of your lump without a chimney to start a small amount of fire for a low and slow. It’s a variation of the Minion method. Or fire up a chimney, filled to any level, for a hotter fire. No need for electricity like those different electric starters. As we have said many times, you will never get a low temp if you start too much charcoal at first. One Weber cube, with or without a chimney, and you have it made, easy peasy, for either a hot or a low fire.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mguerra said:

After using almost every method, I have settled on the charcoal chimney fired up with a Weber cube. No flying ash, fast, easy, light it and walk away. No buying and schlepping gas tanks or cylinders, no need to stand there holding the torch or weed burner. You can just lay the cube on top of your lump without a chimney to start a small amount of fire for a low and slow. It’s a variation of the Minion method. Or fire up a chimney, filled to any level, for a hotter fire. No need for electricity like those different electric starters. As we have said many times, you will never get a low temp if you start too much charcoal at first. One Weber cube, with or without a chimney, and you have it made, easy peasy, for either a hot or a low fire.

I tried those but they didn't work for me primarily because the fire emanates from one small area causing the fire to burn unevenly.  With most torches you can light the charcoal more homogenously.  To each his own.

I'm pretty sure a number of us use this one hand torch, the TS8000 with the Map/Pro canister (yellow). It has a quartz one click replaceable igniter and adjustable blue flame. Quite powerful and does the trick for a one hand convenience. Screw on bottle  and whole kit $55.  Doesn't have that kind of horsepower but hey 30-40 seconds and your done
DSCF2790.thumb.JPG.8a38b2f24e0e99e8e1ebe54e6a0ae60f.JPG

This is my starting method as well. You can do a quick tap for low and slows or quickly light a bigger area to help get the grill up to temp quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3