ckreef

Non traditional paella

Fall in Georgia, winter in New England. Unequal comparisons and then again we'll be jealous in the spring.  Like the large handle pan Ckreef, I believe it's steel if I'm not mistaken.  Do you prefer that over cast?  Snap, crackle pop over the fire..nice sound it makes, and oh yes, something good over rice or veggies. Sounds like a good day and that's GOOD.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Fall in Georgia, winter in New England. Unequal comparisons and then again we'll be jealous in the spring.  Like the large handle pan Ckreef, I believe it's steel if I'm not mistaken.  Do you prefer that over cast?  Snap, crackle pop over the fire..nice sound it makes, and oh yes, something good over rice or veggies. Sounds like a good day and that's GOOD.

We haven't really hit winter yet. It's only dipped down slightly less than freezing 2 nights so far. 

It's a double bottom steel paella pan. The double bottom helps with evening out the heat from a live fire. I've never used a CI pan for paella so I can't really do a comparison. 

I have a long Christmas vacation coming up (12 days off). I hope to do some kewl cooks on my various grills. Keep your fingers crossed for decent weather. 

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, ckreef said:

We haven't really hit winter yet. It's only dipped down slightly less than freezing 2 nights so far.

You live in south Georgia for crying out loud, you have no idea what real winter even looks like! Winter to you just means that you have to put on a coat to go outside! :smt043

We've had 4 measurable snowfalls already and single digit temperatures at night several times. About to get another artic blast this week with highs only in the teens - and we're only a week into December. Can't imagine what January and February will bring us?? :cold:

• Sad 3

5 hours ago, tony b said:

You live in south Georgia for crying out loud, you have no idea what real winter even looks like! Winter to you just means that you have to put on a coat to go outside! :smt043

We've had 4 measurable snowfalls already and single digit temperatures at night several times. About to get another artic blast this week with highs only in the teens - and we're only a week into December. Can't imagine what January and February will bring us?? :cold:

When I said slightly less than freezing I meant 30*-31* f

Hopefully we won't know real cold weather this winter B)  Wouldn't want to have to go out and buy a true winter coat. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Had a snow squall blast through here this afternoon. Could hardly see across the street. As soon as it came, it was gone. Just a dusting of snow, but the winds are still gusting quite a bit and the temps are dropping fast. I had planned to grill a pork tenderloin tonight, but the windchill will be approaching Zero about the time that I have to start the grill. The cast iron skillet on the stove top is starting to look pretty good right now! 

Well, I sucked it up and braved the near zero windchills to grill the pork tenderloin (Pics are in the cooking thread). Fortunately, my KK is like 3 steps from the kitchen door! 

Edited by tony b
Update
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, ckreef said:

That's the one. Definitely a fun grill to use and reasonable quality for the price. 

@ckreef Charles...I was studying the cooker and there is a side-to-side bar that is on the internal frame in front of the adjustable cooking grate.   It is shown in some of the photos and appears to be missing in others.  Looks like there are little mounting pegs sticking out of the frame that the side-to-side bar attaches to or rests on.   What the heck does it do??  (a rest point for the cover?)  Thanks!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jon B. said:

@ckreef Charles...I was studying the cooker and there is a side-to-side bar that is on the internal frame in front of the adjustable cooking grate.   It is shown in some of the photos and appears to be missing in others.  Looks like there are little mounting pegs sticking out of the frame that the side-to-side bar attaches to or rests on.   What the heck does it do??  (a rest point for the cover?)  Thanks!

Not sure about the bar. Mine and all I've seen only have the little pegs. The pegs are used for the lid to rest on. My left side peg is a little bent down. No worries as the lid sits flush on them. 

Although a litter cheesy, I really like the lid. Definitely traps heat (and smoke) above your food. Good for chicken cooks and such. 

• Like 1