merrill

meat suppliers

I am wondering if there are any threads on local meat suppliers in this forum?  I just ran across one in lower mid Michigan that supplied me with about $400 worth of great steaks.  I first read about them on Meat'n Bone.  They are called Ferry Farms in Litchfield. It is a big Dairy farm where they milk around 500 cows.  They raise and feed  all of their cows with good products and have dieticians on the farm  helping to insure their cows are healthy and treated properly.  They sell mostly to local people in the mid Michigan area and also sell whole cows to Meat'n Bone.

Their pricing is very good and I have to admit the first three or four steaks I tried were top notch.  So far I have done a few Tenderloins, an a couple of strips and am doing Ribeyes today.  I believe they age for around 20 days or so.  They  were very tender and the flavor was excellent.  I like helping to support our local farmers especially when they offer a great product at a very fair price.  I also got some of their home made butter.  My girlfriend  is a very good cook and she stated it was the best she has ever seen.

• Like 1

Definitely there have been a few posted Merrill with descriptions into grain fed vs grass fed and where geographically they are raised. Honestly for me the meat is right down the street.  The local butcher caters to all my needs and since they specialize the prices are comparable to the larger markets. It's nice to find the diamond in the rough and even better to help the local economy as you have found. Mail order meat? I like to see what I'm buying first oh well, Guess we paint ourselves into corner... good habit bad habit, who knows. Think I'll play with these cards.

15 hours ago, merrill said:

I like helping to support our local farmers especially when they offer a great product at a very fair price.

I agree.  Getting into a relationship with good farmers can get you access to the really good stuff.  I really enjoy buying whole (lamb)/half (pig)/quarter (cow) animals because you get a load of cuts you wouldn't normally buy and end up exploring some interesting new recipes.  Below is the cutting list for the meat that I should be receiving this week.  (CAPS are my response to the farmer's suggestion for cuts).  The Husband and I have cut up lambs, pigs and cows at home before but the time and energy required is disproportionate to the pleasure of making decisions on the fly about what cuts you want.  So, no help with your request for US sources for meat but I heartily endorse your use of local farmers.  

• Shin Bone In and Cut in to 2 pieces (We could do Osso Bucco if you would prefer)  CUT INTO 2 PIECES PLEASE
  • Silverside in to 3.5 kg joints (These would be good for salt beef – we can salt them if you’d like) I’ll seam the salmon cut  from the silverside and send separate – this might be nice do separately as a carpaccio. GOOD SUGGESTION, WILL MAKE THE SALT BEEF MYSELF AND GRATEFUL IF YOU COULD MARK THE PIECE THAT YOU RECOMMEND FOR CARPACCIO SO I CAN TRY THAT  
  • Thick Flank seamed in to D Muscle (fantastic for tartare) and the rest in to Diced Beef. Alternatively we could do minute steaks with this cut for lovely steak sandwiches or steak frite. D MUSCLE YES PLEASE AND THE REST INTO MINUTE STEAKS PLEASE 
  • Topside in to 3-4kg Joints (These would be great for a slow roast) YES PLEASE
  • Thin Flank – boneless and cut in to smaller pieces (This has great fat content – it’s great for a slow braise for pulled beef or something similar – we could make some amazing burgers from this cut alternatively)  BURGERS PLEASE
  • Rump – whole boneless YES PLEASE
  • Sirloin – We could do some really amazing bone in steaks with these which would be superb for the BBQ!  IN LONG LENGTHS (UP TO OR A LITTLE OVER 50CM WOULD BE GREAT SO WE CAN HANG FOR LONGER AT HOME WOULD BE GREAT)
  • Fillet – Chateau clean for a nice sharing portion, barrel clean for steaks or wellington, tail for tartare. YES
  • There will also be some boneless diamond beef shin for a nice braise AND YES 

+ FAT TRIMMINGS FOR ME TO USE TO MAKE DRIPPING

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I hear you tekobo.
I couldn’t help myself when I opened the freezer and saw the last of my mates home grown lamb on Saturday.
0035c48b51682835781d485ed99072eb.jpg
Our daughters are school mates( boarding) and she has been very excited by the prospect of getting 60 new sheep for Xmas! Now known as Amy’s Lamb.
Due to the drought, they have been supplementing their feed with chickpeas. This is their staple crop, lambs are a hobby to fed his city mates.
Back on topic, look out for Stockyard, prime Queensland beef and just won best steak in the world in Ireland. They distribute through The US and also Europe.
I’d happily provide some choice lamb cuts if anyone wants to drop by and pick it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4