BalconySmoken

Purple Crack ~ first taste

I was in Sydney last week and managed to liberate my purple crack from my mum. With a full eski I fled back home on Sunday and got test it out today. Dry rub of purple crack and salt on a sirloin and two scotch fillet steaks. Reversed seared them using the warming rack (first go of that rack also).

it tasted awesome - probably over did the crack as the girls found it a bit spicy. It is a really unique flavour - starts kind of sweet with a pepper after taste. I’m hooked!
715E2961-A07E-4E86-8B54-BEDB09279C7A.thumb.jpeg.eaf5e4f14b7d4bc3cf270b147d03646a.jpeg 
warming great  worked a treat for reverse sear 
362CF723-54D8-4824-B2E3-F9572C6AA8A2.thumb.jpeg.d3005166dfef92d5737bd2381ec0b9c1.jpeg

91125966-063F-4877-9DED-140B5939F738.thumb.jpeg.7a798d9683b1a86500117aa9897b4b75.jpeg

cinzano Rosso and ginger ale over ice - so refreshing

1CC376E0-8252-4305-8F12-2E37F3B4BC2E.thumb.jpeg.c3552938d6ab7c394b20a274543ef7e4.jpeg

nice and even cook - aiming for medium rare and I reckon I am pretty close on it

• Like 9

Well cooked balcony smoker.

Looks very evenly cooked through. I’ve been using the warming rack the same way and am surprised by how quickly it brings a steak up to temperature from straight out of the fridge. Perfect for reverse sear.

I also got carried away with the purple crack on the first two cooks.

I love it, the kids are so so, so I’ve reduced the amounts until they get used to the flavour.

This flavour reminds me of the Australian bush. Kinda tastes like a wattle tree smells. A bit floral, spicy, bitter sweet.

Also found it changes your taste buds so after you eat purple crack, everything tastes sweeter.

I wonder if it has miraculin in the fruit. Any scientists or chemical engineers here who can test this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, BalconySmoken said:

It is a really unique flavour - starts kind of sweet with a pepper after taste. I’m hooked!

Now you know why I named it Purple Crack! 

It has a slight numbing effect on the tongue, similar to clove and Szechwan peppercorns (due to hydroxy-α-sanshool per Wikipedia.) So, different than "miracle fruit."

• Like 1

I’m looking for suggestions on where to buy Purple Crack (Tasmanian Pepperberry). I live in the United States. I know I can google it and find it but looking for suggestions from people on this forum that have been happy with their purchases. Also, thinking that I’m going to get quickly addicted to the Purple Crack  So I’m not shy about purchasing a pound to get a better price etc.

Thanks!

Paul

Paul, Sally in Tasmania is the master grower and wholesale supplier of Pepper Berries.

Send her an email asking about availability to [email protected]

We have had some crazy weather patterns here over the last 5 years and their yields have been mixed.

Overall they are quite rare.

1kg of dried is a lot of berry. They look like a black peppercorn, however, much lighter.

The supply of purple crack in the market has been very spotty over the years. It is weather dependent. If you can find some, buy it. If the weather in Australia/Tasmania doesn't cooperate next season it might be a couple of years before you have the opportunity to get it again. 

If I remember correctly the first batch of purple crack took 2 years for someone living in Australia to get it for me. It was another 2 to get me a second batch. It was all due to weather. Buy it when you can!! 

On 12/19/2019 at 2:42 AM, PVPAUL said:

I’m looking for suggestions on where to buy Purple Crack (Tasmanian Pepperberry). I live in the United States. I know I can google it and find it but looking for suggestions from people on this forum that have been happy with their purchases. Also, thinking that I’m going to get quickly addicted to the Purple Crack  So I’m not shy about purchasing a pound to get a better price etc.

Thanks!

Paul

53B43092-FC9A-4CE8-A328-0DF671E50B7C.thumb.jpeg.ae49b839c2c49dd0ea9ed68dfd30269f.jpeg

Paul: as stated above - 1kg is a lot of crack. See the reference shot - that is about 800g I have in Sally’s “factory” packaging. That’s a 1L bottle of gin and my size 12 feet for reference. I’m not going to get through It that fast - and when it is available again I can get it -posted to Sydney easy enough for me to collect.  Let me look up postage to the states - we may come to an arrangement if it isn’t ridiculous. I will also be in Montana in Feb if you happen to live near Bozeman. Happy to share - first taste is free as they say. Nobody responded to my post regarding this a few months ago - but if anybody is in Singapore and wants some then message me.

• Like 1

All, thanks for your feedback. For my first purchase I decided to order a small quantity from Amazon (about 1/2 cup for $20) to start with. I go through a lot of Black peppercorns and love the spice of this type of pepper. It sounds like this stuff goes along way compared to my black peppercorns. If I get addicted and think that Vacuum pack and freeze to preserve the quality over a longer period of time then I may opt for a pound or so in the future.

Feliz Navidad!

Paul