Troble

Hello From San Diego......

Hello All

my name is Troy and I’m in the process of getting a 32 KK cobalt blue pebble....I’m originally born and raised in San Diego and lived here my whole life except for the one year in 2007 where I sold all my possessions and traveled around the world by myself and found much inspiration from the food and culture I experienced on my trip 

my parents lived in the house I grew up in for 40 years and my wife and I moved into it 5 years ago. Being in San Diego I’m very lucky to have incredible weather, produce and seafood and I cook outside at least 4-5x/week. We have a natural gas fire magic grill that we inherited along with a killer double side burner that I use for wok cooking my wife’s favorite Peruvian recipes (she’s from Peru). I also purchased a 22.5 WSM about two years I ago and I’ve mastered brisket cooking on that thing and I mostly make brisket, pork butt, whole roasted chickens (with Peruvian green sauce), baby back ribs, whole turkey, and I’ve messed around with a few tri tips. But my wife says I’m obsessed with my cooking.....reading this forum for the last 4 days it looks like I might’ve found the right group to hang out with

We recently contracted with a landscape designer who should be submitting our design for review around New Years and we’re doing a massive backyard remodel to help unlock the potential of our backyard.

this deadline has forced me to make a decision on my smoker and while I was originally thinking I wanted to get a lone star grill so I could do true Texas BBQ with real wood I decided on the KK because it’s the best and because of the versatility. I already cook so many different types of food and I really want to make pizza with my 4 & 2 year old girls as they grow up. Heres a quick rundown of what I’ll be cooking 

Brisket, ribs, chicken, pizza, bread, corn bread, buttermilk biscuits, Moroccan clay pot, gyro and

my “holy grail” adobada tacos (I saw how you guys have been doing gyros meat and I think I could do the same thing with pork shoulder/adobada rub. I tried it once in my WSM and it looked good tasted good, people loved it but it wasn’t authentic to me.....I was toying around with getting a true Trompo on my gas grill to do Adobada/gyro but I think this can be accomplished with a KK/diffuser 

I have a few questions....

1. I never cooked seafood in my WSM because I didn’t want to have my meat taste like fish. I’d like to cook whole fish on my KK and I cook salmon weekly on my gas grill with a plank. Is there any concern with cooking seafood in the KK and having the fish stench cross contaminate?

2. Is the rotisserie that comes with the KK sufficient if I want to roast pork shoulder adobada style? Or do I need an Octofork? How would one go about getting a diffuser to fit my 32?

3. What other accessories are “must have”? I’m gonna get the cold smoker...do you need an extra charcoal basket? What it used for? I’m also leaning towards getting the basket splitter/reducer

4. I think I’ll need to invest in some cast iron pots for the KK I can see myself cooking risottos, chili and chicken soup low and slow on that thing is there a preferred brand of cast iron?

5. Where does one find the yakitori grill or the thing basket that could hold a whole fish? I want to cook whole fish as well as grill octopus on the KK

6. I’m planning on constructing a small gas grill with fridge and side burner for quick cooking if needed I’m sure I’ll use the KK 80% of the tine but sometimes I need to grill up some chicken real quick for quesadillas for my kids and like I said I have been using my gas grill for my salmon in the past. Is is sacrilegious you have a gas grill with my KK?

My KK won’t be in the US till February and my backyard won’t be done till May so I got lots of time to research but any ideas on how to integrate this thing into a backyard would be appreciated. When it’s all said it done it’s gonna be great. My parents were there 40 years and I plan to be there 40 years with my KK so we’re doing it right. 

anything I’m forgetting? I’m really excited to be part of this community, you guys seem to really take care of each other and are passionate about your cooking 

Troy 

Edited by Troble
  • Like 7

Hey they Troy.  Welcome.  You sound like you will fit right in around here.  I don't have the answers to all of your questions but I am sure others will chip in soon.  Here are the ones I can help with:

3 hours ago, Troble said:

1. I never cooked seafood in my WSM because I didn’t want to have my meat taste like fish. I’d like to cook whole fish on my KK and I cook salmon weekly on my gas grill with a plank. Is there any concern with cooking seafood in the KK and having the fish stench cross contaminate?

I have cooked fish and octopus on my KK and have never had an issue with residual smells from any of my cooks in the KK.  If there is stuff stuck to the grill at the end of a cook, I scrape it off and into the fire and when I return to my cooled down KK all is well with the world.  I do wash my grill grate after every cook but lots of people don't and I don't recall anyone complaining about smells.  

3. What other accessories are “must have”? I’m gonna get the cold smoker...do you need an extra charcoal basket? What it used for? I’m also leaning towards getting the basket splitter/reducer

My must have accessory was a second KK so that I could mix up my cooks.  You seem to already have a good arsenal and may not want that.  Real must haves are the basket splitter, the hot/cold smoker, the rotisserie fitting and the half/warming grate.  I think the half grate comes as standard with a 32 and has been a game changer for me with my 23.  

4. I think I’ll need to invest in some cast iron pots for the KK I can see myself cooking risottos, chili and chicken soup low and slow on that thing is there a preferred brand of cast iron?

I like Lodge. I also use La Chamba clay pots.  They are less durable than cast iron but have a charm and I imagine they let more smoke into your cook.  

6. I’m planning on constructing a small gas grill with fridge and side burner for quick cooking if needed I’m sure I’ll use the KK 80% of the tine but sometimes I need to grill up some chicken real quick for quesadillas for my kids and like I said I have been using my gas grill for my salmon in the past. Is is sacrilegious you have a gas grill with my KK?

Not sacrilegious to have a gas grill but I have been experimenting with charcoal recently (as opposed to coco briquettes) and find the charcoal fast to light and it comes to temp in the time you are prepping  the food.  You can cook low down, close to the fire, without having  to warm the KK up fully and switch off the KK just like you would a gas grill.  I am loving the flavour you get from real charcoal and you don't get that with a gas grill. 

Welcome. You are right to pick cobalt blue pebble KK.  Food tastes best out of a blue KK.  

• Like 1

Thanks @tekobo sorry to write such a novel but I’m beyond excited and I’m still months away. I’ve literally spent all my free time the last 5 days reading this forum 

I agree with you on the charcoal vs gas. I’m just really nervous about designing a yard with no gas grill, we currently have a pre-manfacuteted is hand with the fire magic that’s been years old and I’m considering not having a gas grill at all when we tear up the backyard and just using my KK, however since I’m getting the 32 I feel like I need a safety net gas grill in case I need a quick cook. 

my current plan is to build a built in with a high heat side burger (for work cooking) along with a fridge and counter space for prep/serving and just rolling with my KK as the only grilling source

Edited by Troble
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Troble said:

I’m just really nervous about designing a yard with no gas grill, we currently have a pre-manfacuteted is hand with the fire magic that’s been years old and I’m considering not having a gas grill at all when we tear up the backyard and just using my KK, however since I’m getting the 32 I feel like I need a safety net gas grill in case I need a quick cook. 

My memory of folks that keep their gassers as standbys or safety nets wind up using them as a storage compartment for their KK accessories. That's not a dig on gassers rather, a compliment to KK performance. It will be interesting to see how often you use the gas grill.

Anyways, welcome to the forum @Troble. You're going to love cooking on your KK!!  @tekobo is correct. The food off a cobalt blue KK is a cut above!

• Like 1

Don't stop building the arsenal. In the beginning I thought the 23 would do me fine until I wanted to do larger pieces of meat, such as a the whole pig and entertain larger groups. That's when the stick burner came into play and it sits in the yard with 3 Kamados. The management of fire in a stick burner is a challenge, it requires one to maintain a constant temp by adjusting vents and adding fuel on a continuous basis. For precise temps and guaranteed dependability you bought the right tool and you can sit back in your chair and let your gadgets and attachments bring you to perfect cooks.  Sometime I like a change, I credit this like most here to the desire and drive towards that holy grail, the satisfaction you receive with the end result and how you got there. The pursuit of happiness maybe, because you realize that you only get one ticket in life, so it's best to surround yourself with the toys you like. Think of it as broadening the horizon and you just made the big leap...the only downside is, you gotta wait 2-3 months. Congratulations

• Like 1

Welcome troble and congrats on your decision to invest in your kk and also your back yard.
Here is the latest design for mine after a landscape architect got hold of my design.
722080b1a4d84660d22c3b7370a64e84.jpg
The builders now roll in mid January and yes I’m excited.
If I’m 100% honest, this design is all about housing the kk.
Like you, we are fortunate to have natural street gas and you will see a small two burner gas bbq in this design. I’m undecided on which gasser.
Make room for the toys including your gas bbq
The gasser will be used in my mind for whipping up a quick bacon and egg sanga or just to fry an egg for breakfast.
BTW, pebble definitely cooks better, not sure about the cobalt blue. This was my second choice.
How much space in your yard do you have to play with?
I’m looking forward to your posts Troble and congrats again,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

@Tyrus thanks for that reply I totally agree. I personally like the “challenge” that cooking with my WSM presented and I liked spending time late at night by myself tinkering with the air vents....I was looking forward to the challenge of using a stick burner. the fact that the KK cooks so perfectly was a negative to me initially, but I got over that 

@Basher thank you for sharing your plans that looks great. I will snap some photos of our yard this weekend so you can see the “before” picture. We got space but it’s never been planned out correctly and the main point of this project is to build my dream outdoor kitchen and make the space more conducive for hosting as well as reducing water usage. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Don't stop building the arsenal.

I agree with Tyrus.  I see that you were asking questions about the EVO elsewhere on the forum @Troble.  For the types of things you might want to do on a gas BBQ an EVO might provide a fun alternative solution.   

10 hours ago, Basher said:

If I’m 100% honest, this design is all about housing the kk.emoji33.png

Your garden design looks great @Basher.  It took me a while to find the BBQ on the drawing.  Looking forward to seeing the photos when you get going.  

6 hours ago, Troble said:

.I was looking forward to the challenge of using a stick burner. the fact that the KK cooks so perfectly was a negative to me initially, but I got over that 

This made me laugh.  Yes the KK cooks perfectly.  I am the weak link who gets it wrong on occasion.  There is room for error and things to learn, don't you worry!

• Like 2

@Troble - a bit early, but Welcome to the Obsession.

A couple of things to add to what the others have offered for advice.

#2 - rotisserie is a "must have" in my book. One Grill is where you get the motor and they have lots of basket accessories, too, so I'm sure that you can find what you are looking for there. I was an early purchaser of the OktoForks - almost never use them anymore - not a fan. I have cut myself on them too many times and also had issues with food falling off them into the fire. If I have to tie the food onto them to prevent this, what's the point? - stick with a basket and regular tine forks.

#3 - in addition to the rotisserie and cold smoker, the pizza stone is a must have (assuming that you plan to do pizzas and breads). The extra charcoal basket makes it easier to swap out when you want to use the basket splitter for smaller cooks. 

#5 - See #2 - they have lots of options for grilling baskets that will hold a whole fish. 

• Like 4

On 12/18/2019 at 8:48 AM, tony b said:

@Troble - a bit early, but Welcome to the Obsession.

A couple of things to add to what the others have offered for advice.

#2 - rotisserie is a "must have" in my book. One Grill is where you get the motor and they have lots of basket accessories, too, so I'm sure that you can find what you are looking for there. I was an early purchaser of the OktoForks - almost never use them anymore - not a fan. I have cut myself on them too many times and also had issues with food falling off them into the fire. If I have to tie the food onto them to prevent this, what's the point? - stick with a basket and regular tine forks.

#3 - in addition to the rotisserie and cold smoker, the pizza stone is a must have (assuming that you plan to do pizzas and breads). The extra charcoal basket makes it easier to swap out when you want to use the basket splitter for smaller cooks. 

#5 - See #2 - they have lots of options for grilling baskets that will hold a whole fish. 

@tony b thank you did the advice. I am sorry for being early but I’m excited! Working with Dennis to finalize everything now and letting my contractor know about the purchase. I really appreciate your feedback. Thank you 

@MacKenzie thank you for the advice. Reading some of your posts and seeing pictures of your food really got me excited about the KK. I look forward to trying to learn a few of your tricks!

• Thanks 2

@lemisfits here are the recipes I've been using to make Peruvian chicken. My mother in law has told me numerous times that my sauce is really good and authentic and she's been known to go into Peruvian restaurants in San Diego to talk to the chefs to tell them their food was not authentic......

Peruvian Roasted Chicken

I just make a rub using something like this

3 tbsp salt

3 tbsp pepper

2 tbsp garlic

1 tbsp aji amarillo

1 tbsp aji mirasol

1 tbsp cumin

Peruvian Green Sauce

Ingredients

3 whole jalapeño chiles, (If you want a spicier sauce leave the seeds in!)
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
2 medium cloves garlic
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons fresh juice from 1 lime
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

https://pin.it/haqx5oavxgawy2

I then also make roasted red potatoes with garlic, rosemary and a little shave parmesean and then use the Peruvian green sauce on top of the chicken and potatoes. Always a hit. Should end up looking something like this.

57334080742__8A3181BC-8023-4F54-AE36-257B90FB8F04.fullsizerender.JPG

BDAB0D31-0D38-4EE7-BF31-96C2495FDDAF.jpeg

993D4716-C63B-4F23-A752-CE7A0B3DE1EF.jpeg

C368AC95-F961-4DD2-BFA4-F9859FD932F3.jpeg

184D8C35-E34D-4AE4-B1D6-153B73CC56BA.jpeg

Edited by Troble
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@tekobo you’re welcome it should be noted that the rub recipe will result in entirely too much run for a chicken but I usually have a jar of that rub lying around and I use it for my brisket, any beef really or chicken, I’m sure you could put it on fish as well it’s super versatile. The green sauce is what makes it awesome I call it (awesome sauce around my house) and you can keep a jar of that sauce in the fridge as well it goes on anything 

the key is to buy Aji Amarillo and Aji Mirasol but you can find that at any Latin market or on Amazon 

Edited by Troble

@Basher we are finally getting our design tomorrow from our landscape designer. Can’t wait to see it 

I took some photos today of the backyard for the “before” pics. We have a nice yard but the pre fabricated BBQ island is 15 years old as well  as the pre fabricated table and hot tub. I have to replace our back fence and build a retaining wall to shore up the hillside but we’re gonna use this as an excuse to rip up the grass regrade the drainage and plant some vegetables, herbs and drought tolerant landscaping. We’re going to make our KK the central piece in the new outdoor kitchen. Heres some pics of the current situation 

32D26970-9818-4A5A-9695-686D0AB0C374.jpeg

26CE87E9-2DAB-40AB-BC77-F806069B59A1.jpeg

C86CB1F0-6B78-49A3-9DAD-EACE984F1DEC.jpeg

C41D17DD-5A39-40AC-BAF2-E7AB62D67EDE.jpeg

D420730A-9FAE-4D49-9670-E66306C121D6.jpeg

C033F002-7CBC-4483-A53B-EE6A6AC62F1C.jpeg

51C363A4-722A-4CD4-8952-60862BC0CA67.jpeg

AA88EB08-4D46-4E1A-AB50-BEDD76912C8E.jpeg

7F873061-5F35-43AE-85EA-2E0C640A857C.jpeg

Edited by Troble
  • Like 5