Troble

Hello From San Diego......

2 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

I'm not sure but since you are doing a burn in that thermometer you have attached to the cap may not be safe. It could get pretty hot. Did you not get a thermometer with your grill?

I thought that I did but I didn’t receive one. I also am missing the cover. I moved that thermometer shortly after taking that picture because it was getting hot 

Edited by Troble
  • Like 2

First cook is in the books. I did the burn in and let it stay at 520 degrees for around 4 hours then on its way back down I threw some chicken breasts on there that I could use for quesadillas for my kids this weekend. The chicken was cooked at around 425 which is a bit high but it turned out juicy and tasty 

after cooking the chickens I opened up the vents to heat it up Hot again and I noticed an issue on the top where some bubbling up is occurring and I smell solvent again. I believe this is normal but would love some feedback 

I do have two pork butts marinating in the fridge that I’m going to cook tomorrow for the first real cook on my KK 

FA6721BA-2D45-4056-9513-6F431A9BEE71.jpeg

F140AF14-1BF8-4BE8-83C7-47063BB08F4D.jpeg

D420ABAB-BBA4-4B2F-BD7E-6E2ECFC37B5A.jpeg

F2E393F4-A9D0-4D09-B12B-F20B5E5756E5.jpeg

E5FC3CF3-F420-4EB3-8C80-D880D78714E8.jpeg

BD8D0360-35C7-4EB1-B9DA-CC04687F7EE5.jpeg

2A9104E2-3ABC-4DE4-842A-1BB4ED666BE8.jpeg

1D485F99-276B-45CD-AA56-3F82958216C1.jpeg

• Like 2

Not everyone hits the mark on the first run but it's normal. SO push em down if they came up and seal with some grout when it cools, that's if you feel that area is solvent free. KInda looks like it vented well in that spot by way of the crack. Nice chicken Troble and congratulations on a job well done. Scary ain't it, gets the blood rolling going over 500.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Tyrus said:

Not everyone hits the mark on the first run but it's normal. SO push em down if they came up and seal with some grout when it cools, that's if you feel that area is solvent free. KInda looks like it vented well in that spot by way of the crack. Nice chicken Troble and congratulatioa job well done. Scary ain't it, gets the blood rolling going over 5

@Tyrus yes it is definitely strange to go up that high. my little temp probe only goes up to 565 before it gets errors. but i thought i did it right. I let it sit at 525 for at least 4 hours and there was no more solvent smell for at least 90 minutes before I started taking the temp down. once it got to 425 i put the chickens on because it was dinner time and I was antsy to cook on that thing, cooked the breasts in 30 minutes then opened up the vents so the charcoal could burn off. came out 20 minutes later smelled solvent and saw that crack on the top. if I patch it with grout when it cools I have to let it sit for another 8-12 hours right?

Edited by Troble

I believe the Tel tru will give you a good path to follow, no need for the other,even for cooks. My burn in was with minimum incident except for airflow that stuck the temp at 500. Once adjustments were made it was fine. There may have been as I recall a little residual odor left at one higher pizza cook attempted afterwards and then never to be seen again. Just make sure it's worked in well and sealed. That looked like it was the cap. Did the body fair well?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tyrus said:

I believe the Tel tru will give you a good path to follow, no need for the other,even for cooks. My burn in was with minimum incident except for airflow that stuck the temp at 500. Once adjustments were made it was fine. There may have been as I recall a little residual odor left at one higher pizza cook attempted afterwards and then never to be seen again. Just make sure it's worked in well and sealed. That looked like it was the cap. Did the body fair well?

Yes there were no issues anywhere else on the body. Just this little section on top. When you say “no need for the other, even for cooks” waft are you referring to?

btw - thank you for the advice 

You mentioned a temp probe only going to 565 before it gets errors.  I have found food monitoring devices with probes unnecessary, although I have used them in the past......I simply open the lid and check the food with a hand held. Generally the thermometer, time and appearance are all you need. When using a Guru you might as well put in the meat probe for your wifi but I like it glove free.

• Thanks 1

@MacKenzie I’ve seen your posts. I hope to to to get to your level. 😀

this is my go to recipe for pork butt 

https://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2012/04/slap-yo-daddy-bone-in-pork-butt-2/

but the key to a good pork butt sandwich is the roll and I love the Hawaiian sweet rolls 

49A351AA-46D4-4707-BE41-2017F9801ED0.jpeg

Edited by Troble
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Basher said:

There are some good tips in that recipe Troble. Thanks, that’s well cooked, enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Basher. That recipe has been a staple in my circle of friends for almost 20 years. We used to make it for big San Diego Charger tailgates back when we had a team....I make a little cole slaw and some Hawaiian sweet rolls and it’s always a hit 

Edited by Troble
  • Like 1

Incredible color it is, great pics and nice recipe. Well, make a few sandwiches, gather up few friends, drive on up to LA and bring them Chargers back, because they sure ain't doing much up there.  Nice butt, always wanted to say that and get away with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

One other thing I do with my pulled pork is I put it in a foil container spray it with apple juice, dust it with brown sugar then put it in the broiler for 7 minutes. The top gets a crisp, Carmelized texture. While still maintaining all the juiciness underneath 

pics of final pulled pork post broiler and repurposed into a scrambled hash this morning. Thanks to all for the help 

215D8233-A522-4ED9-A1DB-C87387E45BCE.jpeg

AB232D57-FFA3-4C28-B86C-BDB88E7EC267.jpeg

• Like 7