Troble

Hello From San Diego......

On 3/28/2020 at 7:38 PM, Troble said:

Herb and vegetable boxes went in today....getting close....now have to decide what to plant 

FA202317-D0E2-4ED9-8B6F-BD3C508B4978.jpeg

Loving your plants @Troble and your vegetable boxes are giving me ideas about what I can do in my home garden.  Looks like you are going to have lots and lots of fun!

• Like 3

@tekobo thank you. I’m currently trying to decide what to plant  but I think I’ve landed on the following 

herbs - basil, rosemary, thyme 

vegetables - cucumber, zucchini, kale, red & yellow peppers

strawberries 

our landscaping plan already calls for pineapple guava trees, passion fruit trees, lime, orange, lemon and kumquat trees 

@jonj thanks I definitely will if everyone is interested. It won’t be fully fine till all this corona virus stuff is done though. The hot tub is stuck on the loading dock at the factory and we special ordered these lime, orange and lemon trees that are called espaliered citrus which grows more like a vine in a wall Espaliered-Lemon-Tree.jpg

those citrus trees are at a business that’s shut down so we won’t have that or the passion fruit tree till after this is over.  But we’ll be 90% of the way there and we’ll be able to “shelter at home” 

on a side note the turf got done last Saturday and my 4 & 2 year old finally got to go outside and play and run around. It was a joyous occasion 

Edited by Troble
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, tony b said:

WOW, that's a lot of plants. Your yard is going to be a veritable botanical garden when everything gets done!

@tony b that’s why we did the remodel we have a lot of space but it wasn’t designed well or opened up ever. There a lot of space to cover

• Like 2

Post the plant list please Troble. I am interested.

That citrus sounds very cool.

BTW, Did you know you can do this with any tree? It’s training the tree to grow two dimensionally along a wall through clever pruning techniques. I’ve thought about taking some topiary/ espalier lessons to better understand these techniques.

A suggestion for your fresh herb mix- fresh mint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Mint is great but look out, it spreads like wildfire. You really have to actively contain it.

We planted some mint many years ago but had to dig it out after only a few seasons. It had taken over the entire area. Probably best if planted in a barrel, like ckreef's traveling rosemary.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Definitely grow mint (and it's cousins, like catnip, lemon balm, oregano and marjoram) in pots, never in the ground unless you want them to completely take over the area. 

On 4/7/2020 at 2:20 PM, Basher said:

BTW, Did you know you can do this with any tree? It’s training the tree to grow two dimensionally along a wall through clever pruning techniques. I’ve thought about taking some topiary/ espalier lessons to better understand these techniques.

A buddy in my homebrewing club who loves to make ciders, is trellising his apple trees horizontally, so he won't need a ladder to pick the apples when they reach maturity. Clever!

• Like 3

Hit a little snag this week. As part of the relocation of the pool equipment I hired a guy to test for leaks to make sure no major pool pipes were busted during all this demolition. He was supposed to come out prior to concrete being poured but that didn’t happen due to corona virus craziness/miscommunication between parties. So I got the leak guy out and sure enough we had a leak under the footing of the bbq island. Fixed it checked it again and there was another leak under the other footing on the island. So we got our smallest guy and had him tunnel underneath the concrete until he found the other leak and he fixed it yesterday. They said the guy was the same guy who tunneled El Chapo out of prison so while it may or may not be true we are back on track

wrve been Vacillating in the color paint the cover. Our landscape designer has been suggesting greys we think we want brown. That’ll get resolved this week, we’ll slap some paint on it and should be done in 2 weeks or so. After that’s done I promise to shut down this thread and post in the other forums but for now the journey continues. Pics of the tunnel under the island are attached 

CFFF3D74-B1D3-426F-8157-F4880CF8398F.jpeg

58E942BC-99E6-448F-AC63-3F029CA1AFE0.jpeg

9B2CDF9E-E33C-4D77-B167-DBABCBE66798.jpeg

• Like 2

Leaks are fixed. Hot tub was delivered today. Should be soaking in the tub tomorrow night with the family. Extremely grateful for that. I grew up in the hot tub business and this brand Caldera Spas was started by my Dad and godfather. We got out of the business long ago and it’s now manufacturers by Watkins Manufacturing which also owns Hot Springs Spas 

the model I got is called the Cantabria it’s essentially the KK equivalent of hot tubs 

https://www.calderaspas.com/shop/utopia/cantabria

5B61E085-8623-489E-AA99-4DAE790179CC.jpeg

448B3CA0-ECC7-41E1-B6B9-1CE99378F732.jpeg

86AFBA9D-6AF3-4A27-9346-3337642015C2.jpeg

241AD2AC-A04C-4504-8703-3BA182BD72DF.jpeg

2E0CA31A-C1AD-46A9-AA43-F2E2E0D5A533.jpeg

E6F69B4E-16F3-4D20-96AA-366662BA4542.jpeg

251443EB-B3DF-4DE1-9430-230D75D5939C.jpeg

Edited by Troble
  • Like 6