Alphonse

Forward or reverse searing a steak, which is best?

I do a lot of reverse searing on chops and steaks.  My bunch and I really like the results I achieve.  

I recently saw a post (on another forum) by an individual I trust who said,  "Forward searing a steak is way better than a reverse sear."   Knowing how much this gent cooks, I took note of what he said.

So what do you all think?  

@Alphonse............I do both.  My rule of thumb is thicker cuts that I cook low & slow and/or SV get the reverse sear.  Thinner cuts get the forward sear then go to the side to finish. 

I like both and will switch around for fun.   It also depends on the cooker.  I know ckreef does the forward sear on his Nuke Delta Argentinian style grill (as I do on my Gabby Grill - Santa Maria style) because it is easier to control the internal temp of the meat and the sear on crust. 

My suggestion......try both and see what you and the family like best.   Follow your motto above :smt023

• Like 2

Agree with you all on thickness of the chop or steak.  My post was not clear enough.  I should have said "thick" chops and steaks.

At my house on thinner cuts like flank, they get a direct grill on a PK360 or Konro.   I don't have (yet) a Santa Maria style grill.   

I'm a big fan of the forward sear. It just gives a better wall to wall MD rare since you are searing raw meat. With a reverse sear you are searing meat that is basically already at temp so you end up with a gray line just under the sear. 

If it's a thin cut I just do a direct cook and not bother with a separate sear phase. 

They say a picture is worth 1,000 words. Here is a good example of a forward sear. 

ggs2.thumb.jpg.9d85dc591891b039c08be4c759c8fdc3.jpg

• Like 6

That's true. Christmas I did two prime ribs and one Sirloin roast which I seared on another kamado and then finished on the KK. Hard to cool the KK at sear and then expect a 325 Temp if your planning a meal on time for guests. An equation hard to figure with just one tool. And you know there are times depending on the piece of meat I don't sear at all...simply because I insure the spice is left intact.

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pequod said:

Forward sear has the advantage of pulling at desired doneness, vs. shooting for 10-15 below with reverse sear and then hope you don’t overshoot.

That is very true and with a forward sear since you are ending with a low cooking temperature you don't get any residual cooking when resting the meat. 

• Like 2

Both methods are great and I experiment with both often just to change up routine. I’ve also found that using the Sous Vide on thick steaks before a good sear is my favorite method; especially when everyone wants their steaks cooked to different temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

You can also reverse sear, take it to desired temp then remove and let sit to dissipate heat before searing or even refrigerate until the next day and sear hard with the precooked meat cold, when you get the crust you want, put it indirect with a probe and heat to just above 120º and eat.. The cold will prevent you from overcooking the meat when searing long and hard.. Just an idea.. I've done this with Tri Tips.. Cooked them to 130 and finished the next day cold.

• Like 4