ckreef

Solo Stove Bonfire - Mrs skreef's new fire pit.

For the last two years Mrs skreef has wanted me to pull the old rust bucket of a fire pit out of the bone yard. It was such a rust bucket I just couldn't do it. Then @Syzygies  posted a link to the Solo Stove website. I poked around that website and found the Solo Stove Bonfire fire pit. After reading numerous reviews and watching many videos I knew this would be just perfect for Mrs skreef. It would allow us to have a nice looking fire pit in the BBQ garden. 

Ordered Thursday night. It arrived on Monday. 

ssbA.thumb.jpg.303574bd102c12ff827acd21539e735f.jpg

It came with a nice, heavy duty carry bag. 

ssbB.thumb.jpg.9d4d44599f764590953ea72aac1f1285.jpg

From the pictures I've seen it appears they have upgraded the coal plate. It is a slight dome shape with extra ridges to help prevent it from warping. 

ssbC.thumb.jpg.c2348540c7983cfaa917520967d2bb39.jpg

Here it is in the BBQ garden. Also looking at the box it appears they now include the small lower stand. That allows air under the unit so you don't burn/scorch whatever it's sitting on. 

ssbD.thumb.jpg.f289a02c9f18cfe3c7839617a06773d0.jpg

Super easy to light. A fire starter, a little kindling and a few bigger logs. Fire it up and within 20 minutes or so it's off to the races. 

ssbE.thumb.jpg.a43ad1571c12ce11f08c20350e515762.jpg

Once going good it really is basically smoke-free. Here is a short video showing the secondary burn effect. 

Although a little pricey it's a well built SS unit with a lifetime warranty. Everything they say about it is true. It pumps out the heat. The only con I could see - if you're sitting around the fire, your legs from your shins down won't get any heat. It's a small con for having a smoke-free fire. I highly recommend it and both me and Mrs skreef feel it was one of our better accessories to the BBQ garden. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Ranger.thumb.jpeg.e00762cc504e5fca4155a59c81fce9ea.jpeg

My Solo Stove Ranger came today, just after your Bonfire. It's big, though not as big as yours. The top reducer leaves an 11" opening. I immediately lit a single test layer of charcoal, which it improbably managed to sustain, while the outside stayed cool to the touch.This wasn't my best charcoal, but I couldn't resist grilling some salsa ingredients. The salsa was great on leftover fried rice; Mexico won the flavor tug-of-war.

I'll be able to easily grill over wood chunks, for a quick steak.

This will be fun...

Edited by Syzygies
  • Like 4

e it is in the BBQ garden. Also looking at the box it appears they now include the small lower stand. That allows air under the unit so you don't burn/scorch whatever it's sitting on. 

On 1/7/2020 at 8:06 AM, ckreef said:

From the pictures I've seen it appears they have upgraded the coal plate. It is a slight dome shape with extra ridges to help prevent it from warping. 

ssbC.thumb.jpg.c2348540c7983cfaa917520967d2bb39.jpg

That is a nice improvement from the totally flat grate that is in our unit. 👍

28 minutes ago, Jon B. said:

e it is in the BBQ garden. Also looking at the box it appears they now include the small lower stand. That allows air under the unit so you don't burn/scorch whatever it's sitting on. 

That is a nice improvement from the totally flat grate that is in our unit. 👍

I too thought it was a good improvement. It's just slightly dome shape and the ridges looks like they'll help with any possible warping. All in all Mrs skreef is really happy with this purchase I made for her. I wonder what her reaction would be if I bought her a 42" KK for valentines day - LOL 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

It sounds like the 42” is happening Charles, it’s just a case of When!
There are plenty more celebration dates coming up on the calendar.
Summer solstice, winter solstice, first day of spring, birthdays.
Australia Day is coming up on the 26th of Jan. You could celebrate this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Tyrus said:

I like that, a great traveling companion for a RV home or even in the backyard. Kinda like, have campfire will travel. Cozy feeling and appears safe, was it her birthday or just because.

Just because she really wanted a fire pit and I really didn't want to pull out the old rust bucket fire pit. 

Definitely have campfire will travel and it's a very safe fire pit. With the small stand ring included, I would put it on a wooden deck without worry. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stile88 said:

will you be sleeping on the couch if you did that ... i sure would be lol

Probably sleeping on the couch using divorce papers as a pillow - LOL 

But I did get away with buying her the fire pit because that was something she wanted. 

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Solo Stove sent me a survey, so I took the opportunity to ask about the fire grate in the bigger Yukon fire pit.    Appreciate their honest answer but it doesn't appear they are planning to make any changes to the fire grate. 

I would not have purchased it...............................if I knew about the different shape of the fire grate in the Yukon compared to the Bonfire.   When I get back to Michigan in a few weeks, I'll take a picture.  

Jon Besemer

Jan 17, 1:32 PM CST

My question is…..have you changed the fire grate in the Yukon also?  The grate in my Yukon has a major “bow” in it and that is my only complaint with that product.  The “bow” takes up way too much firewood space.  

I have advised friends and forum members not to purchase the Yukon until the fire grate is changed to eliminate the space robbing “bow”.   

I own two of your products and want to be accurate and fair to your Yukon product line with my advice.  If no changes have been made, are there any future plans to make a change??

Thanks.

Jon Besemer

SARAH_PORTRAIT.png

Sarah (Solo Stove)

Jan 17, 1:37 PM CST

Hi Jon - 

Thank you for contacting Solo Stove. The Yukon bottom grate has not been redesigned since it was released. Because of the extreme heat the Yukon emits, the base pan gets so hot that, when flat, it caves in and distorts the airflow, eliminating the near smokeless effect. We domed out the pan to strengthen it but then added the ribs to give the wood something to grab onto so it was still possible to organize the logs in the center. At this time, our team does not have plans to redesign, but I'll definitely forward this feedback over to them for their consideration.

Please let us know if you have any questions.  

Thank you,
Sarah N

• Like 2

On 1/20/2020 at 10:12 AM, Jon B. said:

Solo Stove sent me a survey, so I took the opportunity to ask about the fire grate in the bigger Yukon fire pit.    Appreciate their honest answer but it doesn't appear they are planning to make any changes to the fire grate. 

I would not have purchased it...............................if I knew about the different shape of the fire grate in the Yukon compared to the Bonfire.   When I get back to Michigan in a few weeks, I'll take a picture.  

@ckreef   Was in Michigan last weekend and was able to take a few pictures of the fire grate on the bigger Yukon fire pit.  Resized_20200207_082729.thumb.jpeg.f08d64b815df021f07a6a1b676b7ca9c.jpeg

The outer circumference/edge of the fire grate is 12" below the upper rim of the fire pit. 

Resized_20200207_082707.thumb.jpeg.874f96b97a5528a8fc2f25a931a34d39.jpeg

The center of the fire grate is 7 1/2" below the upper rim of the fire pit.  The fire grate has a 4 1/2" bow from edge to center.

The directions for all the fire pits say to keep the fire wood below the rim of the pit for proper secondary burning (the cool feature of this fire pit). 

With dome shape, the bigger pieces of wood stick above the rim and disrupt the secondary burn.   It really limits the amount of wood that you can stack into the fire pit.........taking away a lot of the benefits of the larger unit.  In my opinion..................for the price difference.................is not worth buying the larger Yukon fire pit.   

Hope this helps!! 

Resized_20200207_082716.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jon B. said:

@ckreef   Was in Michigan last weekend and was able to take a few pictures of the fire grate on the bigger Yukon fire pit.  Resized_20200207_082729.thumb.jpeg.f08d64b815df021f07a6a1b676b7ca9c.jpeg

The outer circumference/edge of the fire grate is 12" below the upper rim of the fire pit. 

Resized_20200207_082707.thumb.jpeg.874f96b97a5528a8fc2f25a931a34d39.jpeg

The center of the fire grate is 7 1/2" below the upper rim of the fire pit.  The fire grate has a 4 1/2" bow from edge to center.

The directions for all the fire pits say to keep the fire wood below the rim of the pit for proper secondary burning (the cool feature of this fire pit). 

With dome shape, the bigger pieces of wood stick above the rim and disrupt the secondary burn.   It really limits the amount of wood that you can stack into the fire pit.........taking away a lot of the benefits of the larger unit.  In my opinion..................for the price difference.................is not worth buying the larger Yukon fire pit.   

Hope this helps!! 

Resized_20200207_082716.jpeg

That's a huge fire done. My Bonfire has a similar dome it's not nearly as tall. 

@TonyCamp, really good. I am a civil engineer and I love concrete.  Beautiful job.  

@Jon B., I just re-read your posts about the Yukon.  You have been very influential around these parts.  One of my friends was going to get a Bonfire and then fell in love with the Yukon.  I used your arguments to persuade him against.  He has since bought a Bonfire and so have three of his friends once they'd seen his photos on Instagram.  I think you should get a cut from the Solo folk! 

• Like 2

My bonfire arrived 2 weeks ago.  😊. I am so glad I didn’t get the Yukon.  I didn’t expect the Bonfire to be as big as it is despite reviewing the dimensions.  You really do need to see it in person to appreciate the size.  

Edited by Wingman505
  • Like 2