ckreef

Solo Stove Bonfire - Mrs skreef's new fire pit.

7 hours ago, Wingman505 said:

My bonfire arrived 2 weeks ago.  😊. I am so glad I didn’t get the Yukon.  I didn’t expect the Bonfire to be as big as it is despite reviewing the dimensions.  You really do need to see it in person to appreciate the size.  

Yes, the Bonfire gives off a lot of heat.   A Yukon would require you to be a fair way away to avoid singing your eyebrows. My friend's partner told him he couldn't get a Yukon because, "if Kemi didn't get one it really must be too big!".

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, tekobo said:

I just re-read your posts about the Yukon.  You have been very influential around these parts.  One of my friends was going to get a Bonfire and then fell in love with the Yukon.  I used your arguments to persuade him against.  He has since bought a Bonfire and so have three of his friends once they'd seen his photos on Instagram.  I think you should get a cut from the Solo folk! 

@tekobo  I really like the Solo stoves.  Bought the Bonfire first and was super excited about getting the Yukon.......only to be very disappointed with that fire grate dome shape and how it limits the stacking for the logs.  You can work around it but it is just NOT a good design for the $$$$.  Not a sheet metal fabricator....but a few support brackets under a flat fire grate would solve the problem,  I'm planing to cut it out and make my own fire grate design.   

The other thing I didn't mention about the Yukon is that it almost takes two people to handle and move it.  I have long arms and a strong back but trying to dump the ashes by my self with out dropping & denting it is a challenge. 

This weekend we are planning to take the Bonfire out to a bay / sandbar in the lake, put it on a metal table in about 1 foot of water and enjoy a fire after dark.   Should be fun!!!!!     

Edited by Jon B.
spelling...again!!!
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Jon B. said:

This weekend we are planning to take the Bonfire out to a bay / sandbar in the lake, put it on a metal table in about 1 foot of water and enjoy a fire after dark.   Should be fun!!!!!     

Sure sounds like a fun idea, maybe you will be able to grab some nice shots of the fire at sunset, hint hint. :)

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

Sure sounds like a fun idea, maybe you will be able to grab some nice shots of the fire at sunset, hint hint. :)

Tomorrow is the longest day (light) of the year............................ Hoping to stay awake long enough to light the fire ......... let alone see the sunset 😁.  My nickname is "8 O'Clock Jon" 

I will do my best Mac!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, ckreef said:

An upgrade for the Solo Stove Bonfire - a stainless steel cover B) for when it's time for bed and you're somewhere that requires your fire to be attended or put out. Also would keep the rain out if that's an impending problem. 

sscover.thumb.jpg.55154beed36b1d366e030ed00864e28b.jpg

Sweet addition!!!!!  Need to hire you for my sheet metal change to the Yukon fire grate!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jon B. said:

Sweet addition!!!!!  Need to hire you for my sheet metal change to the Yukon fire grate!

Unfortunately I'm not that skilled so I can't take credit for it. A member on Guru did that for me. I'm going to have him make a slip on cover for my Konro grill sometime soon. 

• Like 2

@Basher  I did look at the Breeo also.   My thought process was........Breeo's look better to cook on.......I have enough grills to cook on........I'm buying this unit as a fireplace............the Breeo's are significantly more expensive. 

Bought the Solo Bonfire......really liked the performance.............so I bought the larger Yukon..............unhappy with the design.

However.........now i would like to see the larger Breeo in person. 

Jeez..................it never ends  😳

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Basher said:

Do any of you have the Breeo?

https://breeo.co/pages/backyard
Are they rated better or worse than the solo?
Forget about cooking on the lip- what a mess this would make.
I thought they looked heaps better than the solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one of the 24" Double Flame units with the out post grill and stainless lid. I love the lid so I can go to bed and know that what's left of the coals will go out safety.

I also love the added grill. I order in mesquite logs and have done some cooking and some high temp sears on it. We mostly use it as a fire pit, but some wood fire cooking/searing is always a nice change.

It's very well built and you can feel it in the weight at 57 pounds. Had mine 2 years and very pleased with it.

• Like 4

On 6/19/2020 at 8:33 AM, MacKenzie said:

@MacKenzie  Here you are MacKenzie.............................

The setup........................

1673243599_SoloStove.jpeg.8e6ad58756af529f9f4c3e6f177886cf.jpeg

The Lake..........

1767112923_SoloStove2.thumb.jpeg.50cbd2605a706bced92102f5a9eb983f.jpeg

The sunset....................

1054982982_SoloStove3.thumb.jpeg.fbedd2ceb39cba6bb09a0fcd4b213ad8.jpeg

• Like 8

9 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

I thought I was going to get mine today, it is being shipped from British Columbia but it is taking the scenic route thru the USA to get to the east coast of Canada. ??????

Sorry to read that MacKenzie.  Let us know when it arrives and what your initial thoughts are.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Basher said:

Jon do you fish in that lake?
Who swam out to stoke the fire?

@Basher

Our lake is a great fishing lake.   We have a couple fish hatcheries on the lake.  It is very clean water.  However I have to admit..........I am not a fisherman.  My dad never fished and never taught us kids.  Grew up on the water but no one in the family fished. Too busy fixing our broken boats!!!!!!

The bay we anchored in is very shallow.  We hauled in firewood in a flat bottom boat, sat in chairs around the fire, kept it going until late and stayed the night on the boats.  Something we have talked about doing for a long time.  Weather was perfect.    

• Like 5