tekobo

A Very British Salt Beef Sandwich

This sandwich has been a few weeks in the making.  I started the kraut exactly a month ago today, inspired by a huge, overgrown beetroot from the allotment that needed to be processed into something good.  I found a recipe with that used beet, cabbage, onion and green beans.

IMG_6763.thumb.jpeg.5efaab01f05e2d5050ba2f7c5969708a.jpeg

The kraut has been sitting quietly in the corner of our dining room for the last month, fermenting away in this crock pot.

IMG_6814.thumb.jpeg.a6bc7875ec0c0208d5be8bcdb13f5d3c.jpeg

I tasted it today and it was just right.  A bright sour taste.  Into jars and into the fridge.

IMG_6817.thumb.jpeg.de9c44af2b0d2e99e8ce8de29d8e80a3.jpeg

I have made salt beef a few times using this recipe: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1359876/Salt-beef-You-make-dont-forget-tell-half.html  I usually use rolled brisket but this time I bought a hind quarter of beef and so used a silverside instead.  Less fat.  I hope that won't mean less taste.  The salt beef has been in the cure for a week and, usually, the next step requires me to boil it for about three hours.  We are going out this evening and I wondered if I could cook the salt beef sous vide instead.  I looked up a few recipes online and they ranged from 48 hrs to 3 days at 60C.  Given I am due to be away for work and will return at about the 60 hr limit, this seemed ideal.  Here is the beef vacuum packed:

IMG_6811.thumb.jpeg.63370486c348df470f19060dfa13cd56.jpeg

I have put the sous vide machine on my husband's work bench in the plant room.  I have also told him it is meant to be there and I have not forgotten it..

IMG_6813.thumb.jpeg.90c56bd82f7f5bb37d2d65f43284cc2d.jpeg

All that remains is to make the rye bread for the sandwich of the year.  The shaped loaves are just waiting to go in the KK.  I am looking forward to this sandwich.  A fair bit of effort but a lot cheaper than a ticket to New York.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Thanks All.  I had to fly up North for business and landed back down South last night in the middle of a raging storm.  I am sure we were safe throughout but I was sufficiently unsettled to be looking for some comfort food when I got home.  Happily, the salt beef was sitting in the water bath, nice and warm on my return.  Nothing fancy - a nice, comforting salt beef and pickled cucumber sandwich on rye.  

72E651D5-3C55-4E7A-B5CD-078B055044FD.thumb.jpeg.7b1f0d190998c7b661a634f67120e9ef.jpeg

I made the 20% ish rye Tartine bread.  Not enough rye for me so I will be trying another recipe this weekend.  The salt beef?  A little grey because I didn't use salt petre.  Very tasty.  Needs more fat.  Back to brisket next time.  

• Like 5