Jon B.

Tale Of Two Egg Cookers - Crazy Questions

We make a weeks worth of hard boiled eggs every Sunday using the Instant Pot, but this would work with any pressure cooker too.  So simple....1 cup water, eggs (as many as you want to fit it) on a steamer rack for 8 minutes at high pressure.  Throw immediately into an ice bath and done.   They slide right out of the shell... 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Tucker said:

using the steam method, regardless of "age" the eggs give up the shells easily and w/o loss of the egg white.

Going to try your method (just need to find my veggie steamer) to see how it works with fresh eggs compared to my egg cookers........... that are basically steamers also. 

Fresh eggs in my electric egg cookers are a disaster to peel.    Looking forward to trying it!!!    

@Tucker Tried Tucker's steam method last night.   Cooked 10 eggs for the test.  They were not super fresh........"best if used by" date of Jan 31st. 

egg3.thumb.jpeg.64938b0b11c95b6ec5e4c481585bd720.jpeg

Found my veggie steamer, added water to the bottom of the steamer, brought the pan to full boil  (was also cooking in the new pressure cooker @MacKenzie  made me buy 😁)

egg4.thumb.jpeg.a7101d18af6308a7ac5cafa243dceeca.jpeg

10 eggs in and covered.  I cooked/steamed these for 12 minutes.    

egg2.thumb.jpeg.4b309a78a4f844534a03463150030042.jpeg

Into the ice water for 5 minutes.

Egg1.thumb.jpeg.d2e6eebc08ecba8f5f68ac540cdb2f15.jpeg

They turned out very nice.   Very easy to peel, soft yoke, firm but tender whites.  Only one egg gave me some trouble coming out of the shell. 

With a taller pan, could very easily cook 18 eggs at one time.  Might have to retire the electric egg cookers!!

Thanks for posting Tucker!!!!!

PS - I cleaned the stove after looking at these pictures

Edited by Jon B.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1