glx

New 21" KK - It is awesome

Before this I had a large BGE for about 10 years. That has an 18" grate and I found out that in 10 years I could only recall twice needing more space than what I had. If you look at the comparison between 21" vs 23" KKs the difference on main grate size is so small that once in a blue moon that I might need more than 21", the 23" will not be the answer (the 32" would, but that is a completely different ball game).

With this information at the back of my head, I called Dennis and had a conversation with him, which reinforced my initial thoughts. Therefore I used the money difference between the 21" and 23" to get a bunch of accessories for my 21".

• Like 6

1 hour ago, glx said:

With this information at the back of my head, I called Dennis and had a conversation with him, which reinforced my initial thoughts. Therefore I used the money difference between the 21" and 23" to get a bunch of accessories for my 21".

That is Dennis for you, he speaks the truth and he never ever tries to up sell you for the sake of a bigger profit. :) I totally trust his advice. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

More cooking this weekend.

Yesterday did a piri piri chicken on the rottisserie. Delicious but I think the simple salt and pepper chicken on the rottisserie was better.

Lunch time today gave a try to ckreef's pizza dough recipe, with the grill set up at 575F and a baking steel, it came out delicious. But on the next try I will need to stretch the dough a little more because the crust was too thick and also will use the pizza stone I got from Dennis because the baking steel got too hot for that dough at 575F.

Dinner if course needed something nicer than pizza so opted for a paella.

Not enough hours on the weekend to cook everything that I want to try KK on.

20200201_184117.jpg

20200202_124747.jpg

20200202_125821.jpg

20200202_125829.jpg

20200202_181148.jpg

• Like 2

Thx pequod. Definitely next time with this dough will either go for a lower temp or the baking stone.

Two weeks ago I made pizza using a neapolitan dough recipe (only 00 flour, yeast, salt and water) and the first pizza ended up with an undercooked bottom with the baking steel at 550F. Had to crank it up to 600 to get a nice crust on my other two pizzas.

I think I liked better the ckreef dough recipe though, so I will probably use it again next time.

• Like 3

Definitely need to match the dough recipe to the temp or, more accurately, the heat transfer rate. Baking steels have much higher heat transfer rate than a stone, so temp must be dialed back accordingly. 00 flour is unmalted and Neapolitan doughs lack browning agents (like oil, sugar) because they are designed for high heat environments. So, doesn’t surprise that such a dough needs a higher temp steel or even higher temp stone. A good NY style dough tends to do well at 650 on a stone or 550 on a steel in my experience.

• Like 2