Ticket2ride04

Soon to be KK owner needs advice

Congrats, and welcome. I received my 32” in Spring this last year and a 21” in the fall. I agree with what Pequod said but for me the Cold smoker became more necessary than optional. One thing about the KK’s is they are so efficient that there is very low air flow and I struggled smoking meats without the cold smoker option.

Regarding side tables you definitely want these unless you are setting your KK in some outdoor kitchen with counter space. For my 32” I went with the standard wood side tables and for my 21” I went with the wood / stainless combo side tables and I must say if I was doing it all over again I would have the wood / stainless for both my KK’s. I like the clean up aspect of the stainless much better.

Regarding the basket splitter, I would say this is a must for the 32” and I did get this for the 21” as well but for the 21” the basket is so much smaller that I have yet to use it.

Send pics of the delivery, we love to see these.

Cheers,

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do protect your investment with a cover unless other accommodations are in line for it's well being. You'll find maintenance work not a common occurrence for repair but, for general cleaning and such that would be by choice.  Additional items you'll gather as you go along such as for large parties possibly a rib rack to stand your meats on end. The list is long so buy what you need and when you need it, they all will be used.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ticket2ride04 said:

Going with the 32” Metallic Bronze big boy.

Wow.  I remembered you posting before @Ticket2ride04 and went back to read one of your old posts.  You were thinking of matte black at the time.  Big change to be going for metallic bronze.  I applaud your choice, it is a fun tile.  Note the fact that it is a tile though.  Pebbles still cook better...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, tekobo said:

Wow.  I remembered you posting before @Ticket2ride04 and went back to read one of your old posts.  You were thinking of matte black at the time.  Big change to be going for metallic bronze.  I applaud your choice, it is a fun tile.  Note the fact that it is a tile though.  Pebbles still cook better...

I actually let my wife choose the color. She’s an architect and we are designing an outdoor kitchen. The KK will be to the left of a large, white outdoor fireplace. On the right will be an asado style grill. She convinced me the bronze will look the best when it’s all said and done. I tend to trust her on these things. And the more I look at it, the more I like it. I’ll be sure to share pics when it’s all done. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Pequod said:

Fairfax Station neighborhood off Ox Road, almost kinda Clifton.  We’ve been in the area for 25 years. “Pre-Retiring” to Albemarle, foothills of Blue Ridge between Waynesboro and Charlottesville.

We are over in Great Falls. Been in NoVa for close to 10 years and ready to head back to NC when my time to ‘pre-retire’ comes. Hope the move goes smoothly.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pequod said:

Congrats! 

• If coco or coffee char are available, grab as much as you can.
  • Get a cover
  • Get a baking stone
  • Basket divider
  • Rotisserie basket or spit rod. I like the latter. Others prefer the former
  • cold smoker is nice to have, but optional
  • Side tables

YEP! What he said! I have a 23" and like having a 2nd charcoal basket with the splitter already set up. Just swap baskets when you want to go from full to half. And DEFINITELY load up that pallet with all the cocochar, coffee wood charcoal & chunks that you can get your hands on! 

Not to hijack the thread from the original OP but I’m a month out on taking the plunge on a BB32 myself. One question to throw in here. Is a cover necessary if the KK is going to be under a patio?

I think it depends on your climate sgt.
I don’t have a cover as I see my kk as a piece of sculptured art.
Midnight midwinter our temp drops to 10c- about 50f and it’s under a roof through the heat of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Exciting times.

I’d have 3 or 4 blokes handy when you take on stairs and 1/2 inch ply flexed heaps with my 23 inch. They roll very easily.

Maybe some bricks can help pack out the ply on the steps.

Burn in can be fun.

Going up stairs might be easier to carry- there are ropes around the legs that allow you to put carry poles through for a 4 man lift, and a fifth man steadying. How many stairs?

Have some fun burning in.

Fill your basket, open the top vent 2 or 3 full turns, bottom vent 1/4 moon plus big circle. Light her up. Close the lid to second catch.

Grab a beer.

When the thermometer registers 100f, wind back top vent to a quarter turn open, and close the bottom vent to 1/4 inch plus third smallest circle.

Grab another beer.

Prep some food to cook.

Grab another beer.

When temp steadies around 350f to 400f open top vent to half a turn, play around with vent settings slowly opening them up and recording where the temp rises to.

You will smell some acrylic around 500f- 600f. It’s coming from the outside only, not in and won’t effect your food.

At this point closely scrutinise every tile looking for any lifting, fluid leaks. There are clear instructions how to handle these.

Hold the high temp for a couple of hours until acrylic smell disappears.

Don’t forget to cook your food.

I had this smell during my first 3 cooks up to these temps, now nothing.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1