Ticket2ride04

Soon to be KK owner needs advice

One thing is the charcoal, last week I came home from the store with a 34LB bag and found when I opened it the small pieces you generally find on the bottom of the bag as being the common denominator throughout the whole bag. They were for the most part 1-2 inch pieces. So when you organize your basket take care to chose a mixture that will give you a good air flow otherwise climbing to temp may be slow.

• Like 1

Congrats!   The 32 is ~900lbs - so keep that in mind / have enough help handy.   I brought the 42 though the house on 3/4 ply ( it weights in  ~1600lbs).  We had more steps to go up so used 2x6 rails underneath for the steps.  Even with the ply it was heavy enough to dent the aluminum threshold of the front door - not sure if the same would be the case with the 32.  Also, be aware of the clearance - I had to take the stainless housing off of the back (around the spring) and we had to pop the lid open to go through the door so the handle would clear.  

Good luck!

• Like 2

You can always remove the dome and carry it through separately.

Burn in isn't as big a deal as we all fear before we actually do it. As mentioned, just be sure you keep it going until the solvent smell stops. The charcoal tip from Tyrus is a good one for all high temperature operations, burn-in or cooks.

• Like 2

I recently moved my new 32 BB up one small stair step and used 1/2 “ plywood with a piece of wood under the plywood and gap of the stairs. It worked ok but flexed a lot. I would recommend using 3/4” just for some extra comfort. It rolled great.  I also tipped the UPS delivery guy $40 and he helped me. 

There are some great post on burn in. The common theme is don’t run out of beer. Also, no worries if something unusual happens, call Dennis or his team. They are very responsive. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Basher said:

Beautiful looking KK.
Make sure you house where you can see it, otherwise you will keep running back to the garage to look at it again. emoji16.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a courtyard where it can be seen from 3 sides. Just need some friends to help 

• Like 2

We just got ours delivered and moved it. There are no instructions where to place what tray and in what position. We are new to this and trying this blindly. We did het it up yesterday to 550 deg.F for just over 4 hours, wiped off the white stuff that bled but it is hard to find the holes where they came from, so it is hard to know if there are holes. I am eager to try cooking but will need more guidance!! 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Luvenia said:

We just got ours delivered and moved it. There are no instructions where to place what tray and in what position. We are new to this and trying this blindly. We did het it up yesterday to 550 deg.F for just over 4 hours, wiped off the white stuff that bled but it is hard to find the holes where they came from, so it is hard to know if there are holes. I am eager to try cooking but will need more guidance!! 

What size? 32?  And congrats!

• Like 1

I got a bronze 32" from Dennis about a year ago and absolutely love it. I can do 9 racks of babyback ribs or 6 to 8 pork shoulders or at least 6 briskets, if I wanted to do that many. My last two briskets have been maybe just short of magnificent...I just followed the exact recommendations from Aaron Franklin in his book and the Master Class video (yes, I had pink butcher paper already). Today I did 9 babybacks and distributed them up and down the block to grateful neighbors and my daughter/son-in-law's household. I've done some really great beef chuck ribs- my daughter says they are a perfect compromise between brisket and chuck roast.

You are well to ask about decrating and moving the 1600-lb 32" Big Boy. I had to create a makeshift plywood ramp to get mine from where it was delivered in the alley and up to the back patio- about a 6" rise over 6'. I would recommend you unpack VERY slowly and carefully, as there are not a lot of instructions. Similarly, a lot of the assembly is DIY without a great deal of instructions, but eventfully you figure it out and then, in retrospect, it's a head-slapper. It is difficult to get a 1600 pound weight rolling from a state of inertia- I was lucky and two of my neighbors showed up to help- but once you get it rolling,it is not a big problem to place it where you want it. Please feel free to write back if I can be of any help, and get prepared to enjoy!

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1520.jpg

• Like 1