Tyrus

A Lazy Duck

Lazy by marinade and any special prep except for roto on the grill was the exception. I'm no expert at cooking duck and to tell the truth it has to be ten or so years since the last so, I looked up the recommended temp for allowable cooking and found it anywhere between 135-170 degrees F.   This was for good reason, the general rule or belief is that duck doesn't carry the bacteria a chicken would so it's regarded safer at lower temps and it's placed in the beef and lamb catergory. Anyhow, a few pics of what I used, how it progressed and plated. The duck at market was frozen on sale for $1.99, 6-7lb range.. I bought 3.  20 hour soak, not overpowering but extremely tender and juicy. Good and cooked to 160-5 thereabouts. That was cole slaw on the plate, temp outside for us indomitable KK users through sleet and snow and I know...to many pics.  And 310 degrees to temp for the ducky

DSCF2807.JPG

DSCF2810.JPG

DSCF2811.JPG

DSCF2812.JPG

DSCF2814.JPG

DSCF2823.JPG

DSCF2825.JPG

DSCF2827.JPG

• Like 9

8 hours ago, tony b said:

If you're up for the 3 days of prep - Peking duck is really tasty. I haven't done one in ages, as it is an intense process, but really worth it if you do it. @wilburpan on here was a Master at them. 

I remember reading and enjoying wilburpan's posts when I became interested in purchasing my KK.  It's unfortunate he hasn't posted in quite some time, I do hope all is well. Yes, I recall the Peking duck he posted and since I have two ducks in the freezer I just may give it a go. Unfortunately there's not alot of meat one of these critters but, the meat is very tasty. Will be checking the archives for ol wilburpan again. Thanks

1 hour ago, Herbie J - Alabama said:

Very timely. I’m headed to Arkansas next week to hunt ducks.  I will follow your recommendations. 

Have a great trip and best of luck.  That sweet marinade was fine for me and good for the roto because the constant turning gave it an even cook and a handsome color and didn't allow the sugars to burn. I would have liked to have charred up that skin some although, but, the fat content was like a continuous self baster. Any ideas for browning up the skin without going over the recommended max 170 temp

5 hours ago, Herbie J - Alabama said:

Very timely. I’m headed to Arkansas next week to hunt ducks.  I will follow your recommendations. 

I'm jealous.  Not of the hunting bit but of your access to wild ducks.  And quail.  

3 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Any ideas for browning up the skin without going over the recommended max 170 temp

I wonder if pricking the skin all over would help?  You would still get the self basting but a crispier skin?  I don't cook duck very often and would normally avoid it on the roti for fear of fat flare ups.  Will try your method and see how I go.  

• Like 3

Keep the duck cooks coming. If it’s on a restaurant menu I will normally order it.
We don’t see it often in our markets and therefore I don’t get to cook it much.
Most of my hunting mates target other game.
That duck looked delish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

That's an idea Tekebo and will keep it in mind next time. Once the lid is closed I have no fear flare ups, the Oxygen starved containment area has always given me confidence even in the toughest conditions. A gas grill on the other hand is.......an explosion waiting to happen.                                                                                                                                                                                        I see duck at the market sporadically Basher and generally smaller in size so I was never attracted however, these were larger and the price was, oh so nice.  Can't pass up a bargain.  I haven't forgotten about your Salmon now, the cold and snow make me think it's a spring time event.      

• Like 1

Definitely prick the skin so that the fat can more easily render out and the skin can crisp up. When it comes to duck, especially Peking Duck, it's ALL about the crispy skin. If you want to take the extra step, and have a means to do so, part of the prep on the Peking Duck is to inflate the skin to separate it from the meat, which aids in the fat rendering out (Obviously you can't poke holes in the skin AND then expect to inflate it, so these are mutually exclusive techniques.)

• Like 2

Think I'll kill this duck story now but, before I go a few additions are in order. First I took the time machine back into the archives and found various techniques and procedures applied with lots of success from many contributors. One of the finishing touches that I had ignored was to raise the temp at the end to crisp the skin. The technique of hatching the skin looks promising to quicken a crisper skin also. Some chose to use the rotisserie, others used stands, while others offset or cooked direct, so it appears there is a number of ways to cross the finish line holding your duck. The skin inflation prep seems a little Dr Frankenstien to me because I would have take the duck out to the garage and hook em up to my compressor using other implements to help raise his skin. Mel Brooks would like the idea. What I did notice was that Toney grasped the pebble from Wilburpan's hand and has a long history in the duck world so to speak which may in itself make him a duck officionado. Try as I might with one foot in front of the other I think we'll plod ahead and conquer this duck problem. I bought another, so there are three now in the freezer, you might say, "all my ducks are in a row."

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1