Longhorn203

23 vs 21

Home and patio reno in its last phase, will soon be ordering appliances, fixtures and, of course, a KK!

Right now I've got a large BGE and it's been fine size wise, not optimal, and want something larger in the 20"+ category. I'm definitely going with a KK, probably a 23, but want to know how much more I'm really getting over a 21. The cost differential is not insignificant but would love to hear the benefits going with the 23 over a 21.

Two inches could be the deal breaker for size and volume. A bigger brisket up top, a bit more room on the roto and having just a little more insurance is always a help. I can remember asking myself, "Do I really need more room."  Yes I actually have, I would have preferred the 32, having the extra room is something you won't regret.

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 1

Hi @Longhorn203.  In order to decide what you need, people often ask how you normally cook and how many for.  The problem with that question is that it limits you to what you currently do and doesn't take account of what you might discover you want to do once you get your hands on a KK.  I have never subscribed to the go big or go home philosophy but I would say that something as simple as wanting to cook a full size baguette or brisket might make you regret not having a slightly bigger grill.  On the other hand, money in the bank or more accessories may be more useful to you.  

If you put a gun to my head and made me choose I would go for my 23.  More room and more versatility with the half grate and ability to approximate to two zone cooking.  Take the gun away and I would struggle to give up my 21.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Basher said:

I have the 23” Longhorn and have no regrets.

I spit roasted a whole leg of lamb and needed every inch.

9790058d6a8a8964fb6392808df86f46.jpg

Also, a large salmon fillet on the main grate was wall to wall 23 inches.

5c67615b3eeda68b08a895d739e44cd6.jpg

Tekobo will be your best judge to compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that the cold smoker hooked up with that salmon? How do you like it?

Yes it is longhorn.
I’ve only used it twice, still need to practice and experiment with different timbers.
Still drinking the smoked tea leaves and found the smoke mellows over time. This has been my fav on the cold smoking along with rock salt and some other spices.

• Like 2

I bought a 21 thinking that “this will be all that I’ll need.” I was mistaken. I wish I would have gone larger. Not that I haven’t been able to do what I need on the 21, but the extra room would have been nice in many situations. I didn’t realize how much I’d actually use it over almost anything else. It’s my “go to” for almost anything cooking related anymore, except when it is too cold outside.

• Like 7

Ok, I keep looking at the 32s and wondering if I shouldn’t go for that. Somebody walk me back!

We’re now empty nesters. Kids come home infrequently. We like to entertain but hardly ever cook for more than 6-8  people total for a meal. And we have a 42” Alfresco gas grill with rotisserie. 

I’m guessing the 23” will be plenty. But is a 32 more versatile? 

1 hour ago, Longhorn203 said:

Ok, I keep looking at the 32s and wondering if I shouldn’t go for that. Somebody walk me back!

We’re now empty nesters. Kids come home infrequently. We like to entertain but hardly ever cook for more than 6-8  people total for a meal. And we have a 42” Alfresco gas grill with rotisserie. 

I’m guessing the 23” will be plenty. But is a 32 more versatile? 

We’re empty nesters too, and I own both a 23 AND a 32. If I could have only one it would be the 32 hands down.

• Like 1

First, talk with Dennis and he can help you decide on which grill fits you best

I looked for some time at the 23 and the 32, read through the forum, talked to Dennis, etc.  I ended up wit the 32, personally i think it the most versatile.  With the basket splitter I cook for 1-2 but I also can cook for 15-20 when necessary.  Never considered the 12 but between those 2 the 23 would get my money, however I would still pick the 32 over the 23 and never look back.  The 32 will handle slabs of ribs or really nice sized briskets.  Sets up well for reverse searing and will hold a bunch of burgers.

Just my thoughts

• Like 2

I have the 21. I think that choosing between 21 and 23 I would still have gone 21.

I am already starting to dream of a 32 though. Maybe my original question should have not been 21 or 23 but 21 or 32.