Pequod

Instant Pot Fails for Sous Vide

We recently upgraded our Instant Pot to one of the newer, fancier models with a sous vide function. Decided to run a little test to see if this thing could potentially replace my Anova circulator. I set the temp to 130F and let it preheat. At the end of the preheat cycle I took the water temp and it read only 122. Decided to let it run for another 30 minutes and take the temp again. It’s a bit better, but not sufficient. Time and temp have a big impact on sous vide cooking, and undershooting can be downright dangerous due to bacteria. I rate this a fail. Will stick with my Anova stick.

B0FB425E-7C69-4845-A0B0-3833368729D8.thumb.jpeg.782c479b57b15f517cf90921b1d51221.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

True, but probably not as critical for the other functions, just like a +/- 25 degree swing for BBQ doesn't usually matter. BUT, for sous vide, there's a huge difference between dialing in a 131F medium rare steak and getting a +/- 8 degree swing. Difference between rare and medium.

• Like 1