tekobo

Dry Aging at Home

12 hours ago, Basher said:

Those German made Dry Ager cabinets look to be best. I think the US prices are also similar here in Aus. I found these local agers.

https://mysliceoflife.com.au/product/cleaver-the-stag-dry-ageing-cabinet-copy/#top_of_page

Aussie made should make it easier and cheaper to maintain Basher.  Looks good to me.  If you did decide you were set on the German DryAger, it might be worth seeing if you can import direct.  Suspect there won't be much in it and they may not want to do that in competition with their local distributor in any case.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jeffshoaf said:

It's here! Now i gotta get some beef...

Wow!  That's awesome.  I am really looking forward to seeing how you get on.  I have found it to be such an interesting exploration of how time changes the nature of meat and fish.  

• Like 2

PXL_20210208_001049830.thumb.jpg.c8e46cafa9f5d34fe2e7e990ac186bfc.jpgGot him loaded up yesterday with:
Choice boneless ribeye - 19.7 lbs for 30 days
Sirloin tip - 12.24 lbs for 21 days

The sirloin tip was really wide on one end so i had to cut it into two chunks; I'll probably cut one chunk up into steaks and cook the other as a roast.

I also discovered that it's very stressful trying to truss up meat when there's a nosy almost 9 month old kitten in the room - gotta be very careful with the twine!

PXL_20210208_180819197.MP.jpg

Edited by jeffshoaf
Added pics
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, tekobo said:

Well?  What was it like?  Any appreciable difference from eating the meat on arrival?

I was a little disappointed - it was dry and over seasoned, but i think that was my fault. I salted and peppered before grilling on my gas grill and seared longer than i usually do ( grill has a "Sear station" with an extra burner tube between the regular tubes) and i think the pepper burnt and was bitter. I then used indirect heat to go to medium per the Meater and it drifted up to the high side of medium well during resting.

Next time, I'll wait until after cooking before seasoning, only go the medium rare, and maybe baste with butter while grilling. I'll most likely use the gas grill again next round to have a more controlled experiment. It'll be next week before that happens since meals for the next few days are already set.

I'll probably dry age a short loin next - i was concerned with cutting thru the bone but my semi-local meat market said they'd cut it for free if i take it back after aging.

• Like 3

Hi @jeffshoaf, all part of the learning.  You are like me, you have bought in bulk and so have lots of opportunities to get to the perfect steak.  One of the pleasures of having a dry ager, I have found, is simply leaving a joint in the ager and cutting steaks off it when you want.  You get the benefit of tasting the meat as it ages over time and the excitement of knowing that a good steak is only a knife cut away.  Good luck on your next attempt.  

• Like 3