tekobo

Dry Aging at Home

Yesterday was Day 198.  Here is the whole sirloin rack when it arrived back in September of last year. 

IMG_8261.thumb.jpeg.0257cf9f96e52ddbd3ab1ba772efeb25.jpeg

I coated three ribs in fat and the rack has been sitting at the bottom of my dry ager for months.  I invited friends round last night.  The fore rib, one shelf up, was the back up in case the long aging experiment had gone wrong.  The fore rib had only been in for about 50 days.  

IMG_9265.thumb.jpeg.bb2904ebef8cce53b9a8b5264298958b.jpeg

Sense of trepidation.  I thought I could see some dark mould underneath the fat on the end face of the meat. 

IMG_9268.thumb.jpeg.e75a8e5f9c2a72d39357729a195856bc.jpeg

I need not have worried. It was an amazing revelation to see such clean, beautiful meat on the inside.

IMG_8465.thumb.jpeg.d2aa8b257c8fb0de5da210390d6b0188.jpeg

We did have to trim off the ends.

IMG_9272.thumb.jpeg.7a8e1217701671a1950c2cbfc5baf61f.jpeg

Cooking pictures to make you drool. No plated pictures.  We were too busy eating.  Salad, sweet potato fries and bearnaise made for a lovely meal.  The meat wasn't too funky, just a slight blue cheese flavour. Very very enjoyable.  

IMG_9271.thumb.jpeg.006fb44ea8f89a4b5dae5b083bea0060.jpegIMG_8477.thumb.jpeg.ee308a0906b89c20e3fc0ccb10f58033.jpegIMG_8483.thumb.jpeg.082387c43fd9ed64d0662b0aa8d2751e.jpegIMG_9275.thumb.jpeg.1af2af7aa02a3cc009faa60b0d4b91cb.jpeg

• Like 9

@tekoboi have purposefully resisted this thread until now because I did not want another rabbit hole of gadgets that  I “had to have”. Finally read the entire thread. WOW! Thank you for all the info. I’ve never even ordered a dry aged steak before so I will likely pick one up at my butcher to taste the difference but once again you have taken things to the next level. Well done!

Edited by Troble
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haven’t been able to convince my wife yet to get a meat ager or Macgiver version of it. So all I do is aging in Umai dry bag. Just started a full loin of boneless sirloin. Will try to wait 60 to 90 days. Second attempt. First one was good.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

• Like 3

The good news for me is that I am The wife and so didn't have to seek a wife's permission in order to get a dry ager.  I did have to give up a standing freezer to make room for the dry ager but that was The Husband's only condition of purchase.  Maybe you guys will need to figure out something you can "give up" in exchange for getting an ager.  I tell you, it is worth it!  Now that the long aging piece of beef is out of the ager I might change the temp and humidity to cure some salamis for a few weeks.  

@S and @M - glad to count you as members of the hacksaw club.  Absolutely essential for meat butchery and it is all about preserving your quality knives.  Arrive at a bit of bone?  Swap out for a saw so as not to damage your knife.  Others will catch up to this eventually.  🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The good news for me is that I am The wife and so didn't have to seek a wife's permission in order to get a dry ager.  I did have to give up a standing freezer to make room for the dry ager but that was The Husband's only condition of purchase.  Maybe you guys will need to figure out something you can "give up" in exchange for getting an ager.  I tell you, it is worth it!  Now that the long aging piece of beef is out of the ager I might change the temp and humidity to cure some salamis for a few weeks.  
@S and @M - glad to count you as members of the hacksaw club.  Absolutely essential for meat butchery and it is all about preserving your quality knives.  Arrive at a bit of bone?  Swap out for a saw so as not to damage your knife.  Others will catch up to this eventually.  

Would need to let’s you talk to my wife! Unfortunately, I used a lot or my bartering points lately. Will need to wait a bit

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, tekobo said:

The good news for me is that I am The wife and so didn't have to seek a wife's permission in order to get a dry ager.

There's a great SF Bay Area butcher (Golden Gate Meat Company) that will dry age for us on request. I've tried dry aging brisket before traditional low & slow. Too far and one can eat the brisket with a spoon, but a few days is wonderful.

What I'd use a dry ager for would be sausage. I have perhaps the largest Kaffir lime tree of any of Kasma Loha-unchit's students, and periodically I share leaves and limes. Perhaps the best sausage I've ever tasted was a Thai-inflected sausage offered me in gratitude by one of her students. I can't buy sausage like that.

• Like 3

My first bone-in dry age is a short loin that's in the SteakAger now; the meat market where I got it will slice it for free when it's ready. Some folks on the SteakAger FaceBook page are using a Sawz-all with a stainless steel blade - I bought a Dewalt with a battery operated drill and their version of a Sawz-all a while back so I may try this since my back issues may it painful and numbing to do much hack saw work.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Syzygies said:

What I'd use a dry ager for would be sausage. I have perhaps the largest Kaffir lime tree of any of Kasma Loha-unchit's students, and periodically I share leaves and limes. Perhaps the best sausage I've ever tasted was a Thai-inflected sausage offered me in gratitude by one of her students. I can't buy sausage like that.

Oooh.  I think I would be interested in your classmate’s Thai sausage.  I have some kaffir lime leaves too although my plant has never produced fruit and is less than 4’ tall.

9708D5AE-BA8C-47FD-82C3-EDEF4AC9E59F.thumb.jpeg.bc4b7d43ee10817663e625e950df8986.jpeg

Here our favourite sausages are very simple.  Pork and sage wins hands down for fresh sausage and I like to make a semi cured sausage that is half way between fresh sausage and fully cured salami.  Will hunt out the recipe.  We tasted it once in a bar in italy and could not find it to buy.  That’s the sort of thing that is worth making, in my opinion.  

• Like 1

So, here is the recipe that I used to make crumbly semi cured sausage: https://www.thespruceeats.com/finocchiona-tuscan-fennel-salami-2018497.  Well, it was a combination of that recipe and this method: https://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=7265 with curing lasting about 4 weeks instead of 4 months.  A different texture and taste experience.  

I have both options Tekobo. There is a 10m hose that I can run to a garden tap if I want to set it up now. The Reno starts in July.
I’m a Batchelor this week and although this has been discussed with family, agreement/ approval has not obtained.
Forgiveness or divorce are a certainty from here.
Maybe I send this photo to my wife while she is enjoying Noosa?
2b12c813f4babfc816fe3eb2f25c7052.jpg
In saying that, the cabinet looks pretty slick in person- better than this photo suggests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 3

Really beautiful piece of kit [mention=3378]Basher[/mention].  Good luck with your mission to convince your wife that you were fine to go shopping without the final OK from her. I like the words on your wall.  Prepare for a bit of "we do REALLY LOUD".

Haha Tekobo, I was reading the rest of that- forgive, love, hug, etc. Not the really loud, but you may be right........
no, I’ll find a place for the dry aging cabinet.
A few good steaks later and the fun will come through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 2