tekobo

Dry Aging at Home

So the dry aging fridge has remained wrapped until we fumble through the new kitchen renovation.
However, the local supermarket( a 7 minute walk away) has been closed for 9 months after smoke damage from a fire.
They opened yesterday and displayed this.
d19629d6f582fb0c47b9eeed8955bf1f.jpg
Yum yum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

I'd like to know that too. There is a store chain around here called Rouses. They buy local produce and shrimp to sell and in general it's a great store to shop in. They all have a dry age meat contraption right near the meat section. I've never seen anything on the meat and it looks like dried out meat. I've never tasted it so it might be the best thing ever. They hang whole ribeyes and other large pieces in it. But tekobo describing the the taste like bleu cheese is a turn off for me since I don't like the stuff. 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, David Chang said:

@tekobo thanks for showing me your original dry ageing thread. what is the logic behind coating the meat in fat during ageing? is it to inhibit the growth of bad bacteria? added flavour? keeps it from over-drying? thanks.

Painting fat was something that I learned from chef Gareth Ward's restaurant Ynyshir.  They do a lot of long aging of meat and painting the ends stops them drying out during the process.  I discovered that Lennox Hastie also does something similar.  I looked him up on line just now and found this article where he describes what he does but not why he does it.  https://www.cooked.com/uk/Lennox-Hastie/Hardie-Grant-Books/Finding-Fire/Meat/200-day-dryaged-beef-rib-recipe

5 hours ago, Poochie said:

But tekobo describing the the taste like bleu cheese is a turn off for me since I don't like the stuff. 

Ignore me Pooch.  Lennox Hastie describes it as tasting like aged Parmesan.  Hopefully that works better for you!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/12/2021 at 11:44 AM, Basher said:

I have both options Tekobo. There is a 10m hose that I can run to a garden tap if I want to set it up now. The Reno starts in July.
I’m a Batchelor this week and although this has been discussed with family, agreement/ approval has not obtained.
Forgiveness or divorce are a certainty from here.
Maybe I send this photo to my wife while she is enjoying Noosa?
2b12c813f4babfc816fe3eb2f25c7052.jpg
In saying that, the cabinet looks pretty slick in person- better than this photo suggests.

We were out on our first night back in Padova, Italy yesterday and came across this sign in on of our favourite bars.  Thought of you @Basher  I hope your renovations are going well.

IMG_0037.thumb.jpeg.dedaf23a66084904e1f50a83fe32a18b.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Word for word Tekobo.
I kept being told Reno’s are 6 weeks away……. Missing my bbq’s
Only cooking on a stove top in a fry pan. Nothing worth reporting……… except that I’m buying a farm!

• Like 5

The farm remains work in progress Tekobo. Fair weather farming for me, I have an area in mind where there’s 1200- 1600mm of annual rainfall(about 60 inches). 40- 100ha( 100- 250 acres)
………….I did buy some cows
f11bcb0befa2f964c18136ff6fbe876c.jpg
2cdbb9b8b55b5b95c74584cdd8711cee.jpg
Aren’t they beautiful?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful, indeed. We raised black Angus cattle for a long time until finally long-distance farming became too much. We now just lease part to a neighbor (and watch his cattle graze).

Good to know Jon. I may be hitting you up for some advice in the near future
. I only have 14 Brangus PTIC so maybe 25ish in a short while.

• Like 1

Oooh, now that's very exciting @Basher.  It will be interesting to see how your meat develops over time as you start to cross breed.  

My most recent purchase of (dead) cow was from a farm that is trying to deliver a "zero carbon" beef.  They manage the inputs and land in such a way as to offset the environmental impact of raising the cows.  The good news for me was that the meat tasted great too.  They are not carbon neutral yet but it is a good ambition. 

• Like 1