tekobo

Dry Aging at Home

Oooh, now that's very exciting [mention=3378]Basher[/mention].  It will be interesting to see how your meat develops over time as you start to cross breed.  
My most recent purchase of (dead) cow was from a farm that is trying to deliver a "zero carbon" beef.  They manage the inputs and land in such a way as to offset the environmental impact of raising the cows.  The good news for me was that the meat tasted great too.  They are not carbon neutral yet but it is a good ambition. 

A motivating purpose for me is to bank carbon, and you need cattle or other ruminant animals to do this. Sequestering carbon into the soil by moving cattle on regularly can build carbon levels by up to 1.5% each year. This equates to tonnes of carbon being drawn from the atmosphere……. Plus access to good beef for bbq.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

That sounds really interesting @Basher.  I must learn more about this.  When I first heard about the zero carbon cow I thought it was just a gimmick to assuage meat eaters' guilt.  It would be v good if it isn't a gimmick and does genuinely compensate for the impact of animal husbandry.  

Tekobo google regenerative farming, there’s heaps of information out there from science magazines to YouTubers.
Netflix has a couple of movies/ docos. Kiss the Ground.
Also watch Fantastic Fungi.
If you want a book, read, Call of the Reed Warbler has been very inspiring.
Basically all plants sequester carbon into the soil through photosynthesis. Well managed grazing land builds healthy diverse pastures that sequester more carbon and build a healthier soil and healthy rhizome. Once the rhizome is active with beneficial microbes, and the grazing is managed, it’s a regenerating sustainable system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cool.  Which one did you get?  Remember your journey from a 21 KK to a 42 KK?  I would go large at the start if you can.  

Or maybe not.  I have a small fridge size dry ager and sometimes I would like larger to hang bigger hunks of meat.  That said, it would be more useful to have two small fridge sized agers - one to set at temps for ageing meat and one to set at temp and humidity for curing sausages.  No biggie either way.  Just great to have an ager at home.  I  tend not to eat steak out anymore because I can get so much better quality at home and cook it just the way I want it on my KK.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Cool.  Which one did you get?  Remember your journey from a 21 KK to a 42 KK?  I would go large at the start if you can.  

Or maybe not.  I have a small fridge size dry ager and sometimes I would like larger to hang bigger hunks of meat.  That said, it would be more useful to have two small fridge sized agers - one to set at temps for ageing meat and one to set at temp and humidity for curing sausages.  No biggie either way.  Just great to have an ager at home.  I  tend not to eat steak out anymore because I can get so much better quality at home and cook it just the way I want it on my KK.  

I got the 500, I don’t need anything big but I can see how it would turn into the 42 situation real fast😂😂😂

• Haha 4

Cool.  It looks like you got the same one as me.  They are great.  

I did have a problem with overheating a couple of summers ago because the room I had it in was not well ventilated.  You might want to check that you have enough air flow around it.  Not sure what they recommend about cladding and boxes but I have now moved mine to an open area and it hasn't had any problems since.  

2 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Cool.  It looks like you got the same one as me.  They are great.  

I did have a problem with overheating a couple of summers ago because the room I had it in was not well ventilated.  You might want to check that you have enough air flow around it.  Not sure what they recommend about cladding and boxes but I have now moved mine to an open area and it hasn't had any problems since.  

Yea I changed my setup to this… 

0D1FB0D0-3A53-42E1-81D1-57D4A73BCBC5.jpeg

• Like 3

Hey everyone so I have good and bad news.  The good news is I love the fridge, it works great.  The bad news is after 60 days and 3 different types of cuts my wife prefers the not aged meat.  I thought about replacing the wife but I’m on my second marriage already and I need to slow down so I’m gonna be selling the fridge :( I’m asking 4200 CAD since it’s equivalent to the price in USD but willing to entertain a reasonable offer. I have the xl package and all the extra accessories. 

• Sad 2

On 8/31/2022 at 6:35 PM, Buzilo said:

Hey everyone so I have good and bad news.  The good news is I love the fridge, it works great.  The bad news is after 60 days and 3 different types of cuts my wife prefers the not aged meat.  I thought about replacing the wife but I’m on my second marriage already and I need to slow down so I’m gonna be selling the fridge :( I’m asking 4200 CAD since it’s equivalent to the price in USD but willing to entertain a reasonable offer. I have the xl package and all the extra accessories. 

thats too bad, im in the market for one. but location and voltage prohibits me to buy from you.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tony b said:

Shio Koji marinade (leftover rice product from making sake)

You puzzled me with this statement @tony b.  I love shio koji, have only had it when a friend brought it down from a small batch producer in London and have tried unsuccessfully to make my own.  It is made by fermenting grains and I don't believe it is left over from making sake.  You might mean sake lees?  That said, you are the king of retro-engineering.  If you ever find out how to make the lovely shio koji paste that the Japanese sell, I will move in with you - OK I don't need to scare you - I will steal the recipe and method from you!

• Haha 3

On 9/9/2022 at 10:29 AM, tony b said:

@tekobo - you are correct. I was just trying to simplify the description. I will NEVER try to make it myself. Sorry. 

Oh, but you could.

Miso, Tempeh, Natto & Other Tasty Ferments: A Step-by-Step Guide to Fermenting Grains and Beans by Kirsten K. Shockey

I bought this for natto; I have the correct soybeans and a Musui Kamado I will use as a fermentation chamber. And the miso section looks interesting.

I travel too much for many of the Japanese ferments. They require regular attention.

• Like 2