coolpapabill

Custom Soapstone

A local custom kitchen company has some soapstone remnants , and will cut 

me a piece to fit my KK 23'' . Should I have a semi-circle piece cut to fit on the top lip

( I have the half grate to put on the other side ) or one slightly smaller to fit on top of the

grate itself.    Thanks ahead a time

Edited by coolpapabill

Yes , cooking right on top of the soapstone . I was thing about using it for half the grilling surface,

and the half grate for the other. Soapstone retains  heat much better than cast iron also no rusting ) , 

and is supposed to give a much better sear. Kamado Joe sells half stones for their grills , and people

seem to like them a lot. BTW anti-bacterial as well. Only draw back seems to longer heat up time.

• Like 3

Curious.  My instinct would be to try the soapstone out as a heat resistant work surface.  Another potential way to use it would be to have a piece that you heat up and then bring to the table to cook on.  Its heat retention would be a real advantage there.  I am not so sure about cooking on soapstone in the KK.  The time taken to heat up would see me choosing my cast iron griddle over soapstone.  Having said that, a semi-circular piece could be fun.  If possible it would be good to get a lip around the edge so you can cook without having stuff drip down onto the fire.  If nothing else, it should be really beautiful!

P.S.  You asked whether it should go over the grill on your half grate or next to it.  I would say next to it.  Moving between the soapstone and the half grate bars would give you options.  

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 2

On 2/18/2020 at 2:10 PM, coolpapabill said:

Did not get a chance to use it this weekend , but will this coming.

I'll be posting pics . Looking forward to using it.

Hey there @coolpapabill.  What happened with the soapstone?  Did I miss the unveiling?  I am very interested to hear how this worked out.