DennisLinkletter

Meat Hanger.. Whatcha Think?

Just saw this in the accessories for the 23" ultimate, but not in stock...

https://komodokamado.com/products/23-ultimate-duck-hanger

My Santa Maria grill has a cross bar that would work for hanging and I've thought about trying hanging ribs or chickens but the KK would definitely be more fuel efficient and have better heat distribution. Maybe good for tandoori?

• Like 1

Pic above is of a 32” per Dennis. I don’t think it will be long before they show on the website since he has shipped them. I’m assuming shipped means they are headed to the warehouse and once there they’ll be available online, but I didn’t ask that specifically and could be wrong. With shipping being what it is, maybe a couple months out.
@DennisLinkletter

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My first cook with the Meat Hanger in case anyone wants to see one in the wild.

20220424_234224443.thumb.jpg.051dda0207364f56cbbea28c14e781fa.jpg

How’d the yardbird turn out on the hanger? Anything noticeably different from a rotisserie or spatchcock to highlight?

Also, how’d you manage to get a picture of the endangered heat deflector in the wild

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

@BOC I just received my KK-32" this month, I ordered the Meat Hanger as an accessory. 

I'm very happy with how the birds turned out. I experimented a bit, one with breast up, the other breast down.  Breast up was juicier. Spatchcock chicken can be dry if you're not careful, but cooks really fast,  these birds (~5.5lb each) took about 3 hours @ 275-300°F. I'm still trying to master temperature control, but getting there. Overall I'd say this method's results fall somewhere between rotisserie and spatchcocking (similar to the beer can method).  I would say that if you want darker/crispier skin, rotisserie is probably the way to go. My main reason for buying the Meat Hanger is to cook Tandoori Chicken, so I'll post pics of that in the 'KK Cooks' section when I get a chance.

Regarding the heat deflector, I think I was one of the last orders they were offered.  It was quite a funny story too, Dennis and I had a phone conversation and he asked if I needed the deflectors, he then explained for a few minutes how they weren't needed in the KK because the construction already has ample thermal mass, and they're only really needed on egg style kamados because they have thin walls. He then explained that he uses the large steel platter to deflect heat.  All of his points were spot on (as usual with Dennis, the man knows his stuff), but I said I still wanted the heat deflectors, and he let out this very sad sigh of disappointment. He did honor my wishes and included them in the order, which I really appreciate.  My first smoke (pork butt) I did without the heat deflectors and used the steel platter as he described and he was absolutely right, the butt turned out perfect.  In the case of the meat hanger cook above, I think the heat deflector makes sense to keep the heat from overcooking one side of the bird (assuming you're offset cooking). If I were to use all 4 hangers at the same time, I'd use a full basked of coal and hoist the birds higher up on the hangers to get them further away from the coals.

Edited by LedHed
added comment about crispier skin
  • Like 2

I'm trying to come up with other things to cook on the hanger.

Here are some of my ideas so far:

Anyone else have some ideas?