DennisLinkletter

Meat Hanger.. Whatcha Think?

Definitely interesting.  Thanks for posting @LedHed. I can see some good uses for this:

1. Tandoori cooks - I was surprised at how the papaya element of tandoori marinades helped to tenderise meats.  That effect would be great here.  Meats that would normally take longer to cook will cook quicker and can be cooked over direct heat on this hanger to get those signature singed edges in a hot and fast cook.  

2. Low and slow smoking of poultry - you could get a beautiful all round colour and good smoke flavour and then turn up the heat to crisp up the skin.

3.  Cold smoking cured meats - this would have worked perfectly when I was smoking my cured goose breasts for instance.  I would not stick the spike through a side of bacon but would use a meat hook to hang it off the top hanger.  

Yeah, liking this idea.  Dennis called it a duck hanger.  I’ve not tried to cook duck the oriental way and am not sure how one would deal with the fat rendering out into the fire but would be keen to see someone try!

• Like 3

On 4/28/2022 at 8:33 AM, LedHed said:

@DennisLinkletter If you're open to suggestions, I had these ideas. They may add complexity from a manufacturing perspective, but would give more flexibility in how you position the meat, and the ability to hang more items (thinking chicken leg hangers).

MeatHanger-01.jpg

MeatHanger-02.jpg

Well... which do you want the notched or the one with holes?
I think the notched is probably more versatile. 

• Like 2

On 5/4/2022 at 4:50 PM, DennisLinkletter said:

Well... which do you want the notched or the one with holes?
I think the notched is probably more versatile. 

Dennis, I also agree that the notched version would be more versatile, but I have another recommendation based on it. This comes from having used the meat hanger and trying to find a solution to be able to hang as many hooks as possible.

To render it even more versatile, I think it would be ideal to have the removable notched curved rod perpendicular to the current plane, as in going front to back rather than left to right. With two of those on either sides of the KK, and additional straight (ideally notched as well) rods to be positioned by the user to rest on the two curved ends would allow for one to pretty much hang whatever he/she needs wherever feels best. 

This comes from me trying to come up with temporary solutions to hang my char siu and trying to get as much vertical space... I will try to draw this out when I find time. In the meantime, I will attach a photo of what I mean by trying to hang as many hooks as possible to maximize use of space.  

PXL_20220306_001208315.jpg

PXL_20220306_160928943.MP.jpg

Edited by Franck
Added photos of char siu attempt
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Franck said:

Dennis, I also agree that the notched version would be more versatile, but I have another recommendation based on it. This comes from having used the meat hanger and trying to find a solution to be able to hang as many hooks as possible.

To render it even more versatile, I think it would be ideal to have the removable notched curved rod perpendicular to the current plane, as in going front to back rather than left to right. With two of those on either sides of the KK, and additional straight (ideally notched as well) rods to be positioned by the user to rest on the two curved ends would allow for one to pretty much hang whatever he/she needs wherever feels best. 

This comes from me trying to come up with temporary solutions to hang my char siu and trying to get as much vertical space... I will try to draw this out when I find time. In the meantime, I will attach a photo of what I mean by trying to hang as many hooks as possible to maximize use of space.  

PXL_20220306_001208315.jpg

PXL_20220306_160928943.MP.jpg

Some dedication there! What a picture, look at that snow!

I am looking forward to seeing how Dennis develops this.  I remember rigging up hooks and chains in different configurations to cold smoke bacon and goose breast in the past.  This contraption has a number of additional uses per my previous post.  Will sit tight and wait and see what happens with the notch/multi hook debate.  

• Like 2