ckreef

Camp Chef Explorer 2

Wanted to get a propane camping stove for me and Mrs skreef. 

I ended up going with a Camp Chef Explorer, 2 burner model. I also got the grill box and professional griddle. The grill box has a heat deflector under the grate to make a more even temperature and a CI grate. It did a pretty good job cooking burgers last night. Strangely enough I got it from a local Bass Pro store. It was cheaper than online and I commented to the Bass Pro guy that Bass Pro is never cheaper - LOL. He laughed out of courtesy but I don't think he thought it was funny. B)

Anyway I have a few other accessories I want to get and one day I'll get the pizza oven accessory for it. I'll post the other accessories when the get to the house. 

cce1.thumb.jpg.774d6ea61493018f25d44fa58e1c0bac.jpg

cce2.thumb.jpg.713b7cb1dbd4bae93165e5959d63f5ac.jpg

• Like 7

Funny I was looking at those the other day at Bass Pro. Actually went in to see the dehydrators for jerky on a whim. Anyhow they had the 3 burner model right beside it, yep, purdy nice. I didn't jump, wanted to, that devil was biting on my ear. I guess we musta been shopping like at the same time, you know a deja vous thing...well before I knew it that Devil flew down to Georgia and landed on another ear. By golly, phew..I was saved.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Funny I was looking at those the other day at Bass Pro. Actually went in to see the dehydrators for jerky on a whim. Anyhow they had the 3 burner model right beside it, yep, purdy nice. I didn't jump, wanted to, that devil was biting on my ear. I guess we musta been shopping like at the same time, you know a deja vous thing...well before I knew it that Devil flew down to Georgia and landed on another ear. By golly, phew..I was saved.

I had decided on this Explorer 2 model but hadn't ordered it yet. I was out shopping in the vicinity of a Bass Pro and something told me (must have been the devil) to stop in at Bass Pro. At only $99 for the basic unit the price was right (the price is never right at Bass Pro! ) so I grabbed a cart, a few accessories and off I went. 

This is there no thrills model. You need to use a long camp lighter to ignite it but that doesn't bother me. It's really heavy duty and big enough so a large stock pot or my paella pan fits on it. It has large air flow control so you get a nice blue flame. Even though it has really big burners you can adjust the flame really low and extra high. The nicest feature is the control knobs are pointing in towards each other. This keeps the knobs inside the foot print of the frame. A lot of their other models the knobs stick out straight on the outside of the frame which makes them more prone to damage when transporting. 

If you are ever considering something like this it's a good sturdy unit. Check out this burner picture. Low and slow or raging hell fire to keep the devil happy B)

lowandraging.thumb.jpg.ed42390fa996e98b747d552e197a1ab3.jpg

• Like 4

That day my wife dropped me off at Bass Pro and she went over to Trader Joe's for a few things. I know how you feel, it's like walking into Oz for the first time, a beer garden with 40 brews on tap, you gotta be careful. Now she was gone an hour and called me she was coming by to pick me up but I said, " I only been here five minutes" or at least that's what it felt like. Never left the cooking area the whole time, let me ask you....is what you got catchy and does it spread?

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 1