Saucier

Top Sirloin Roast

Well, been a day or two since I posted a cook, so what the heck!

I got myself a 9lb whole top sirloin roast...  Rubbed it with seasoning salt, ground pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder then a light coat of Kitchen Bouquet.

Got a deep pan underneath with water, 2 heads garlic, 2 onions chopped, a dozen baby carrots, few stalks chopped celery, 1T black peppercorns, 5 bay leaves etc.

Short preheat to 250, then put the meat on, and popped it up to 280...   Royal oak lump with hickory chunks !  

Meant to take a pic before I popped it in, but forgot,, so here is a pic of it just starting to bathe in the holy fire!

We shall see how it goes :)

roast.HEIC

Edited by Saucier
oops
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Tyrus said:

Amen brother and pass the mashed potatoes

Funny you should mention mashed potatoes Tyrus.  I wondered who @Saucier was and so I went and looked up his profile. One of his previous posts was about cooking potatoes for mashing sous vide.  That had never occurred to me but the logic of cooking veg sous vide and keeping the nutrients "in" makes perfect sense.  Welcome back @Saucier.  I look forward to reading more of your posts.   

• Like 2

Well, what can I say, came out fantastic! Took 3:45 to bring it to 125 internal, wrapped in foil and a towel, and put in ice chest to rest for 2 hours.. 

Strained and tossed the veggies from the pan, made some gravy, and added some mushrooms, because they needed to get used up. and they taste great !

Here is how it looked...

And yes, there were sous vide mashed potatoes to help sop up the gravy!

roatplatter.jpg

roastdone.jpg

gravy.jpg

• Like 7

Best part of making mashed potatoes sous vide is that you're cooking the spuds in butter and milk/cream, with a bit of seasoning, instead of water that you dump out. Pretty much the only way I make mashed potatoes anymore. Only downside is the length of time it takes, so you have to plan ahead.