craig

Any Tips for Smoking a Duck?

I did the duck last month and marinated it in a over the counter ginger soy sauce for a day. Roto'd it and the meat was good however, not alot of it. The skin was so so, so I would suggest to crank the heat at the end to crisp up the skin. You may even prick the skin ahead of time or slice it with a sharp knife to penetrate the fat hidden below for that crisper skin. 150 -165 tops is a good serving temp. I believe it's best to bring it along slowly and then raise the temp for the finish, the KK is forgiving and if you overshoot a bit your cook will remain tasty. A duck and chicken aren't the same, nor do they cook the same under the same conditions. The meat is dark and the skin fattier, that leads me to believe it will hold the test of time. The world is at your command, make your recipe your own and use some good jelly.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, craig said:

I think I'm gonna give smoking a duck a go this weekend! does anyone have any tips or recipes?

Yeah...first, figure out which end to light! 😂  Sometimes I quack myself up...

I did a tea-smoked duck once and it was incredible. 

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/tea-smoked-duck-with-hoisin-barbecue-sauce/

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've done a few Peking Ducks, but that takes days of prep - involving multiple steps and you're still not guaranteed of getting the crispy skin that's sought after. For a simpler duck roast - go rotisserie, prick the skin all over to help render the fat out & slip your hand under the skin to separate it from the meat, use the basket splitter with the coals in the back and a deep drip pan on the front half to catch all the fat that will drip out! Cherry wood chunks and shoot for at least 375F dome. Duck, unlike chicken, should be served on the rarer side, or it will get tough.

Edited by tony b
  • Like 2

On 2/25/2020 at 10:31 PM, Pequod said:

Yeah...first, figure out which end to light! 😂  Sometimes I quack myself up...

I did a tea-smoked duck once and it was incredible. 

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/tea-smoked-duck-with-hoisin-barbecue-sauce/

Tea smoked is the next one I want to try!  I am going to give this one a try this weekend, let you know how I go with it guys! 

https://www.simplymeatsmoking.com/recipes/chipotle-cherry-smoked-duck/

• Like 2

I made a locomotive's worth of white smoke once cooking a duck. It's fat missed the drip pan and made more smoke than I have ever seen coming out of a Kamado.. It was like I was smoking the back yard for mosquitoes.  The burning smoke gave the duck an acrid taste too.. Could not eat the skin.. the meat was fatty but pretty good.

• Like 2