EGGARY

Flat Grill Top for the KK

I have a customer who just got a Plasma Cutter.  When I saw what it can do, I thought of a Flat Grill Top for the KK.  I would do a Half.  I know Stainless Steel would be best but it might be a bit pricey.  So would steel be ok ?  I feel 1/4 might be too thin.  Would 3/8 be ideal ?  My concern with steel is rust.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Eggery I have been looking at different steels and plates and have some mates with significant steel fabrication businesses.

Mild steel is fine, however, does require a little more care. You can treat it as you would cast iron- heat, oil, and keep a little oil on it when storing. vegetable oil is fine. Pouring water on mild steel while it's hot is great for cleaning, however, can deteriorate the steel over time and will need to be cured afterwards if you choose to do this.

Consider that stainless can react by corroding when held against other steels. Pretty sure Dennis has advised against steel wool and some other cleaners with his grates. I wouldn't store a mild steel plate touching stainless.

I'll be using a steel plate with my gasser. My current gasser is 10+ years old and the 5mm plate is fine.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tony b said:

If you want to be inspired, search the Forum for Dennis' prototype grates - pretty awesome designs. Unfortunately, they were cost-prohibitive for him to develop as a commercial product. We were all seriously bummed! 😥

To make a channel around the outside of one side to catch grease etc and have the other side shot penned cost me much more than the ones already on Amazon.. If I can't do it better than what's out there then why?
Modernist Cuisine has nice ones
https://shop.bakingsteel.com/products/modernist-cuisine-special-edition

• Like 2