ckreef

Crazy Run on Toilet Paper

5 hours ago, Herbie J - Alabama said:

Its good to see someone else that’s shops at “The Pig”.

I miss The Pig.

So far, our local market (HyVee) has plenty of meat on hand. My freezer is pretty stocked right now, so I'm not terribly worried about running out. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pequod said:

Interestingly, there’s a run on chicken here. Can’t find chicken anywhere. Lots of beef and pork. At least folks will be eating healthy through the apocalypse. 

Shows how stupid folks get in times like this - you can feed a lot more folks on a pork butt or full packer brisket than on a whole chicken!

• Like 6

This is crazy, now the knuckle heads have cleaned out the canned foods and pasta off the grocery shelves.
My mate has a cleaning wholesale business. Said he shifted over 500 pellets of TP last week and he’s not running out.
It’s being nicked from schools and public places!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, Herbie J - Alabama said:

Its good to see someone else that’s shops at “The Pig”. 

Ours is a really small, po dunk Piggly Wiggly - but - they defiantly have the cheapest, best, all natural twin packs of pork butts. That twin pack cost $27 and both were decent sized butts. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Pequod said:

Interestingly, there’s a run on chicken here. Can’t find chicken anywhere. Lots of beef and pork. At least folks will be eating healthy through the apocalypse. 

They didn't do a run on chicken around my neck of the woods, plenty to be had. Bought me a huge pack of leg quarters. Still have a bunch of thighs and wings in the freezer. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Basher said:

This is crazy, now the knuckle heads have cleaned out the canned foods and pasta off the grocery shelves.
My mate has a cleaning wholesale business. Said he shifted over 500 pellets of TP last week and he’s not running out.
It’s being nicked from schools and public places!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I skipped most of the canned veggies but I did stock up on frozen veggies. If they cut the power state wide we're all screwed. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tony b said:

I plan to go shopping tomorrow. Will be curious to see what the shelves look like, as it's been a week since my last shopping trip? 

Good luck with that. Your best bet is to ride out in the country. Those little stores out in the middle of nowhere are still stocked. I guess they haven't herd the news about a new virus going around. 

• Like 4

Did OK at the local supermarket today, but they'd been hit hard yesterday, according to the folks working there. Many employees were out in the store re-stocking some items. Meat counter was a little thin, but most things were to be had. Unfortunately, in parallel, they'd run a sale on the thicker cut pork chops that I like, so naturally they were out! I had to settle for the regular cut ones - I'll survive! Soup and pasta shelves were hit hard, but the good imported Italian pasta was plentiful, which is all that I buy anymore. No paper products, but I didn't need any. Liquid hand soap was sparse, but there was plenty of bar soap - what's with folks? Liquor/beer/wine department hardly looked fazed - woo, hoo! The real adventure will be tomorrow when I hit up CostCo and Trader Joes. Will be interesting to see how hard they've been hit. 

• Like 5

On 3/16/2020 at 7:02 AM, Aussie Ora said:

My wife went to Whole Foods here yesterday (found chicken, but no TP -- a partial win!). The checkout person told her they've been opening an hour early at 7 AM ONLY for elderly to shop first. When the doors open to the general public at 8, they see all the hoarders flood in to raid the shelves that were restocked overnight. Their response is to restock throughout the day to give others a chance. Very interesting. It's just like war.

Measure: hoarders (the enemy) flood the gates at open.

Countermeasure: stores keep stock low at open to deny hoarders.

Anticipating the next step:

Counter-Countermeasure: hoarders stop by multiple times per day to determine whether there is a pattern to restocking times.

Counter by stores: randomize restocking to eliminate any detectable pattern, similar to frequency hopping radios. Could even go spread-spectrum by frequently stocking just a few items at a time. 

repeat

repeat

Soon stores will be using TP false targets -- projecting holograms of bundles of TP to attract the hoarders. Can even use TP-Gate Pull-Off techniques -- the TP hologram moves just ahead of anyone reaching for it, and gradually walks them out the door, denying them their prize.

Edited by Pequod
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

Thank goodness there's still some folks out there that really care about their communities.

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/health/swisher-distillery-cedar-ridge-turns-alcohol-into-hand-sanitizer-in-wake-of-covid-19-strains-supplies-20200317

I've known the owners for many years and go out of my way to support their business. Trying to support the local restaurants and breweries, too, but it's like triage, picking/choosing winners/losers - it's frustrating! 

Oh, btw - Happy First Day of Spring, everyone! In all the craziness, almost forgot what day it was!

• Like 2

They done that over east the country shops had heaps of city folks rock up and cleaned them out

Good luck with that. Your best bet is to ride out in the country. Those little stores out in the middle of nowhere are still stocked. I guess they haven't herd the news about a new virus going around. 

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk